Insight - RB class on stage - 17 October 2019

I don't know if anyone else went this morning to see the RB's morning class on the main stage. Absolutely fascinating and well worth a visit if they do it again next year.

A couple of photos - obviously these  are well before it started hence the small numbers on stage 

[photo deleted by mods]

• Like 1

Hi MJW. Thanks for starting the thread.

I'm afraid we had to delete your photos from the thread as the ROH do not permit photography at these events and we follow that through here too.  This is because class is the dancers’ private time (even though we have been allowed to share it on this occasion) and we respect that.  I hope you understand.

• Like 4

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Insight - RB class on stage - 17 October 2019

I've been lucky enough to see several RB classes, but this one was definitely the best because it was properly introduced and some explanations were given as to what was actually happening. I think it's also the first one I've attended which has been to a large audience.

I spent the entire time trying to spot dancers I recognised, which was both frustrating and rewarding as I couldn't name them all. I think it would be great if there was sort of roll call at the start. I'm sure you've all been to business meetings where everyone goes round the table and says briefly, their name and their role. I'm not suggesting this as it would take too long but perhaps read out list of names with a quick hands up from the dancers as their name is read out.

I've also noticed in class that some dancers tend to "appear" half way through. No idea if this is actually true as they could have been at the back in the barre session, but suddenly  I noticed Mayara Magri, Melissa Hamilton and Will Bracewell.   Particularly happy to see Will after such a long lay off with injury.  Good also, to see a selection of Principals participating.  

All the boys strutted their stuff at the end with bravura leaps and turns - very entertaining. Joseph Sissons a stand out, but I also love Itziar Mendizabal who always shines in class. 

Edited by JennyTaylor
typo
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I think it would be great if there was sort of roll call at the start. I'm sure you've all been to business meetings where everyone goes round the table and says briefly, their name and their role. I'm not suggesting this as it would take too long but perhaps read out list of names with a quick hands up from the dancers as their name is read out.

I would have liked the same.  I got home and spent a good 30 minutes trying to work out who a few of the dancers I didn't know were from the ROH website and old programmes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BalletcoForum Moderators said:

I'm afraid we had to delete your photos from the thread as the ROH do not permit photography at these events and we follow that through here too.  This is because class is the dancers’ private time (even though we have been allowed to share it on this occasion) and we respect that.  I hope you understand.

Sorry not to see the photos although I do understand the decision.  Can’t help but recall a previous class when Bennet Gartside took lots of photos and posted them on Instagram - but of the audience.

The superlative and elongated succession of entrechat six danced in their considerable entirety through two different movement strands by the hugely talented Joseph Sissens were a stunning spectacle to behold.  I, for I'm sure just one, can't wait for his Albrecht.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I've also noticed in class that some dancers tend to "appear" half way through. No idea if this is actually true as they could have been at the back in the barre session, but suddenly  I noticed Mayara Magri, Melissa Hamilton and Will Bracewell.   

Yes, some dancers, including Alexander Campbell, did 'appear' after the barre section of the class ........ and disappear quite quickly too!!! I believe that Principals have the choice as to which class they attend and which aspects they wish to participate in.

I was amazed at the energy being invested by Matthew Ball throughout the session. He was Des Grieux last night, after all............!!!!

Alex Campbell did the full barre. He was near the back on the last barre on the RHS (viewed from the audience) opposite Claire Calvert. He quietly got on with the warm up without drawing extra attention to himself. Principals often leave during class when they have rehearsals to attend.

On 17/10/2019 at 23:28, Bruce Wall said:

The superlative and elongated succession of entrechat six danced in their considerable entirety through two different movement strands by the hugely talented Joseph Sissens were a stunning spectacle to behold.  I, for I'm sure just one, can't wait for his Albrecht.  

Or that beautiful Act 2 solo by Ashton in the Sleeping Beauty......

• Like 2