For the historic stage, most of the stalls seats are relatively flat, so I would only take the first row, or the aisle seats in the side sections. The front rows of the stalls boxes and dress circle, if not too far to the sides, offer a very good view.

I haven't been for many years, but my recollection is that as long as you are reasonably central, views at all levels are fine.  The equivalent of the gallery is a long way from the stage, though, and you would certainly need opera glasses.  The Mariinsky is not nearly as much of a horseshoe shape as Covent Garden.  I have actually watched from one of the stage boxes and even that wasn't too bad.

I’m not tall so I avoid the stalls and only go for the front row in the dress circle. I think the stalls boxes front row are generally ok but possibly you can also be unlucky if you have a tall person in front of you in the last row of the stalls.

This is for the historic stage for the new stage view is good everywhere but dress circle is much further from the stage. 

Edited by annamk

• 4 months later...

There are 6 of us going to see Don Quixote in the Mariinsky.  We've never been before but could anyone advise if 1st tier Right side Box 8 Row 2 would be a good place to sit?  I'm just hoping its not too far away and its not obstructed.  Also, any tips would be great also!

I have not sat in the 1st tier but in the dress circle the seating is not raked enough for me (I am 5ft 4") so that if you are in row 2 you can find your view very obstructed by a tall person in front of you. Personally I would choose to sit in the front row further on the side rather than more central 2nd row. If you are a group maybe you can buy some front row and some 2nd row and put the shorter people in the front row ! 

thank you for the replies - unfortunately the show is almost sold out and these are the only 6 seats together, there are only the last 6 in second row of the dress circle but they are more expensive.  There are some in the stalls but it makes for a very pricey birthday treat!

Edited by TwoLeftFeet

30 minutes ago, TwoLeftFeet said:

thank you for the replies - unfortunately the show is almost sold out and these are the only 6 seats together in any of the tiers.  There are some in the stalls but it makes for a very pricey birthday treat!

The stalls have no real rake in the historic Mariinsky, so it wouldn't necessarily solve the problem there. Understandably you very much want the whole party to sit together, but if you were flexible on that then I would suggest looking for two clusters of three seats or three pair...

I agree that sight-lines in the new Mariinsky are largely much better.

Edited by DrewCo

I agree, avoid the stalls. You could take the 2nd row seats and if some of you are taller than others you can swap around but also take cushions with you to sit on - the seats are loose chairs. Or you could look at the Mikhailovsky - it is a lovely historic theatre, smaller than the Mariinsky. Their productions of the classics are charming and the cafe has the best cakes !

• Like 1

I agree absolutely - definitely avoid the stalls!! Sitting separately might be the answer. Agreed that the Mikhailovsky is a lovely old theatre and has great cakes, but it has the same problems with the lack of rake in the stalls and the poor view in the second row. Good luck!

thanks everyone for your help.  I've had another look and there are absolutely no 1st row seats available in any of the tiers so even sitting separately won't help.  I think at this point I'm lucky to even get the ones I've found, there are so few seats left, so it must be a good one!  The show features Alina Somova and Kimin Kim.

12 hours ago, TwoLeftFeet said:

thanks everyone for your help.  I've had another look and there are absolutely no 1st row seats available in any of the tiers so even sitting separately won't help.  I think at this point I'm lucky to even get the ones I've found, there are so few seats left, so it must be a good one!  The show features Alina Somova and Kimin Kim.

I would be ecstatic to see Kim in Don Quixote!  Hope you all have a great time--and may everyone sitting in front of you be short :) ...

• Like 6