Life after dada

5678Dance

Just out of curiosity, if any of our dc had a dada for Upper school then nothing happened career wise would they be entitled to financial assistance to retrain at a college in a completely different subject such as doing a btec? 

19 minutes ago, 5678Dance said:

Just out of curiosity, if any of our dc had a dada for Upper school then nothing happened career wise would they be entitled to financial assistance to retrain at a college in a completely different subject such as doing a btec? 

Hi. I remember this subject popped up a few weeks back but as an additional comment on a post so probably well buried by now. 

DaDa is for all intense purposes is a Grant. 

Whereby a Student Loan (ie Uni) requires the funds to be paid back - subject to their terms and conditions. Therefore a pupil that had received a DaDa should not be excluded from a student loan. 

The main issue I can see on your question is the course for a BTEC qualification. I believe (unless proved otherwise) is lower than a BA(Hons) ie undergraduate qualification and therefore not eligible for a student loan. 

Unless you had some other funding route under consideration. I would have to say no, to a student loan. There are private bursaries/scholarships available. May well be worth contacting the local education authority to find out what’s out there. 

Eg. EY Foundation was set up to offer financial support for those entering the finance industry. Not sure on the actual details/guidelines/requirements but good old google may help.  If that’s the ‘completely different subject’ route under consideration.  . 

Good Luck. 

52 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

To clarify...

so a Dd/Ds who has had a DaDa for 3 years and obtained a Trinity Diploma in Professional Dance can get a loan to study a Maths degree at a University if they want to ? 

Is that correct ? 

That’s not my understanding.  I think they can get a loan to top up their dance diploma to a BA Hons but I don’t *think* you can get an SFE loan to start a completely different degree.  The exception being if you cannot complete your dance HE qualification due to illness/injury/other extenuating circumstances for which you have written evidence (Consultant’s letter, for instance).

• Like 1

Anna C's interpretation is the same as  mine was .  We looked at the relative costs of taking a dada and then self-funding a distance learning degree at a later stage - an OU degree requires 360 credits and they charge just over £3000 per 60 credits.  I think it's a case of do the maths and see which works out best for you.  I don't know if you can get some credit for the level 6 qualification.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

To clarify...

so a Dd/Ds who has had a DaDa for 3 years and obtained a Trinity Diploma in Professional Dance can get a loan to study a Maths degree at a University if they want to ? 

Is that correct ? 

No they can't unfortunately cotes du rhone. A Trinity College Diploma is a Level 6 and that is classed as Higher Education so you have had your funding already if you have had a DaDa for 3 years and completed the course. You can only get a Student Loan for an NHS related degree, now that the NHS bursaries have been scrapped. 

My head is hurting as I read ever more in the minefields if upper school funding....

As a parent of a year 10 (so auditions next year...) not only do we have have to think about best US place & how to fund it but also second guess any outcome & try future proof DC’s options & budget plan through several scenarios.....

I did suggest plumbing as a good career path....🤣

• Like 2

With regards to the Open university however if a child does a Trinity Diploma then an arts based course with the Open University they may be able to claim a certain amount of credits from thei diploma towards part of the course (particularly the intro to arts/humanities 1st year modules in the OPen Uni course. The OU look at t he content of the diploma nd decide how much of it can be taken into account to be exempted from some OU modules.

Just speaking as someone who taught in FE for 15 years up until last year - I have taught numerous students on professional / vocational courses who have obtained student loans at levels 3 and 4 who already had degrees. Funding didn’t seem to be an issue as long as it was for training in a subject area completely different to your degree. 

Also, it seems like anyone can access apprenticeship funding from level 2 right through to level 7 even if you already have a degree in a different subject area, and no age limits. 

There are more (and cheaper) options for retraining than doing a Btec or a degree. 

Best to enquire with a local college as rules seem to change annually.  

Just from our experience applying to start in 2018.

My daughter had a Trinity College Level 6 Diploma and had been on a DADA. It was just lucky she wanted her student loan for an NHS related course otherwise she definitely would not have got one. Her DADA ended in 2012 and she had danced professionally the whole time between then and applying for a student loan in 2018. The question 'have you ever had a Dance and Drama Award' comes up very early on in the application for a student loan. A Trinity College Level 6 Diploma is most definitely classed as degree level even though you have to 'top up' for a year to make it a BA Hons in Professional Practice.

Next year may be different and it is indeed a minefield! 

It's pretty clearly laid out below:

How to get funding for a second degree in the UK

If you are thinking about going back to university to get a second degree, you need to think about how you are going to fund it. Students who have already been to university and got a degree, whether it was recently or years ago, are not entitled to a loan from Student Finance (with the exception of Nursing and some Healthcare degrees). This applies whether you had a loan previously or not, which means you are going to have to find another way to fund it and at £9,250 a year for the average tuition fees, plus expenses, it is not cheap.

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels