Pirouette shoes - some advice please

PrancingMum

Can anyone help me with pirouette shoes?  DD has asked for a pair and I have a few questions.

Do they really need them?  Can they not just use ballet shoes or will they then just wear out all the quicker?

Which is best - leather or canvas?  I have read some reviews and am now even more confused.  Canvas seem to be more popular but more likely to wear out quicker.

Thanks

Do you mean these? https://uk.blochworld.com/product/S0639L?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_r3nBRDxARIsAJljleH6ZETauZHpGswSVAP7E3OvG2DGqdsMpWWhVkjJV6Rq7eNTI1ZrhAkaAqceEALw_wcB

Some of my students wear them as an alternative to foot thongs for modern as contemporary as they've found their little toe gets left behind when they pirouette in foot thongs. I haven’t explained that very well, but it can be quite painful! 

• Like 1

Canvas do wear out quicker, but not as quickly as canvas ballet shoes, not sure on why. I think the canvas do a better job of blending into the line of the leg, that may be because the girls I teach who wear them have unusually pale complexions? Canvas you can probably get away with washing too, which is a major plus as they will be in direct contact with the dancers feet!

My DD loves hers but has leather and for some reason they developed white spots within a few weeks.  Reading reviews this is a common problem.  I like the idea that they can be washed so thanks for the tip @Bluebird22 we will look at canvas. If you do go for this @Newdancermum please let us know what your DD thinks about this option.  Looking at Capezio they are cheaper. 

DD wears the so danca canvas half shoes. They do need frequent washing !!! and then ideally, being put on a foot whilst they dry OR stuffing with something as they do seem to shrink a little! 

She tried leather ones, but didn't find them as flexible.