Daytime Class in London on Monday?

munchkin16

Would anyone be able to recommend a daytime class in London on Monday? I’m there next week and hoping to drop in somewhere as my classes have a full week off!

Roughly around low intermediate level, similar to David Kierce’s improvers plus class that he does at central? I’m getting better at picking up combinations but not incredibly fast at it quite yet so someone who doesn’t do anything insanely complicated! I spotted possibly either a beginner or intermediate class at London Russian ballet school, or an afternoon class I think it was with Adam at Danceworks if anyone has any first hand experience with these?

Thanks!

London Russian ballet school is AMAZING, definitely recommend!! They have an 11.30am ballet class which would suit you! The ‘Beginner’ class with Inga is about intermediate standard, and is really lovely, whereas Alyona’s ‘Intermediate’ class is absolutely brilliant but quite challenging (to provide a comparison it’s about equivalent to RAD advanced 2 level I think, although of course Vaganova method is very different to RAD!) hope this helps!

Yes London Russian have morning and early evening classes every day so very convenient for many people.

I would recommend the beginners though unless you are very confident because their beginners is sort of elementary/ intermediate level anyway although the centre is not that hard the barre is long so it's more a question of stamina with their classes I think!

There is Ana du Boissons class around 1pm most days at Danceworks but best to check classes are on .....though I believe the classes continue but there may be a different teacher sometimes etc.

A friend of mine does Adam Pudney at Pineapple who she likes a lot ....but I'm sure she says the class was 8-9.30pm .....but that may be Tuesday's time!! 

There are a few drop in classes with the ENB at Markova House but not all are drop in and are in the evening anyway not the day time.

All Centrals classes are evening.

You could check out the Place there are some classes there which start very late afternoon and early evening....you can look at their weekly timetable online.

Adam Pudney's Improvers class at Danceworks might suit you. It's a lovely class - an easy level, but energetic, and usually some fun allegro, and pirouettes - he really gets people moving. It's at 4pm on Monday at Danceworks which is very central..

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for all your replies, it’s so helpful having personal experiences of the classes as every teacher and description on levels is different. Think I’m going to give Adam’s class at danceworks a try as the timings work better for me but I’m definitely going to try and make it to the London Russian at some point because it sounds amazing! 

• 1 year later...

I know a few people who do the Improvers who really like his classes a lot but unfortunately don’t know anyone who does the beginners class but it’s the teacher who is important I think so I’m sure his beginners will be fine .....though be aware that ‘beginners’  classes in London are often rarely for real beginners especially if it has the word ‘general’ after it!! though you sound as if you have some experience anyway. I’d give it a go. 
If you can make it regularly ( as they don’t do drop in anymore ) there is a very good class on a Monday at the Rambert ( Waterloo) which is Intermediate level with one of the Rambert dancers Luke Ahmet ....I think it starts at 6.30pm 

Also check out ENB Monday classes over on City Island....  the earliest classes there usually start at 7pm. 
Not completely up to date yet this year as still recovering from injury. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

I really enjoy Adam's class if I have a chance to take it at Danceworks (I don't really ever get to Pineapple - their classes are often only an hour). At Danceworks, it's labelled "Improvers" but I would class it as an Advanced Beginners (and certainly at a level below Advanced Beginners in New York!) - it's not for beginners definitely, but the centre work isn't hugely challenging in terms of complexity of choreography or length of combinations.

But Adam is an energetic teacher who will push and challenge yo, if you're up for it. I really love te energy of his class, and he's particularly good on petit allegro. 

And a really kind and nurturing teacher. I wish I could get to his classes more often!

• Like 2

On 24/01/2020 at 21:24, LinMM said:

I know a few people who do the Improvers who really like his classes a lot but unfortunately don’t know anyone who does the beginners class but it’s the teacher who is important I think so I’m sure his beginners will be fine .....though be aware that ‘beginners’  classes in London are often rarely for real beginners especially if it has the word ‘general’ after it!! though you sound as if you have some experience anyway. I’d give it a go. 

Haha, yes, as if the labelling doesn't already vary enough! I'll assume that "beginner" and "general" average out to an "improver" or "elementary"... and report back when I have a chance to take :) Thank you!

On 25/01/2020 at 13:25, Kate_N said:

...but the centre work isn't hugely challenging in terms of complexity of choreography or length of combinations.

...and he's particularly good on petit allegro. 

I really wanted to find a class with more allegro so this sounds brilliant! (Side note: why do most lower-level adult classes skimp on jumping?) Thank you so much!