Royal Ballet Insight and In Rehearsal discussion

8 hours ago, lollylamb1 said:

Thank you all, was able to purchase a second ticket (not on same row), all sorted.

Wow, you've been very lucky - I've been checking daily for weeks and no hint of a return! 

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh darn.  What is it?  (And can I watch it on the train, I wonder?)

REHEARSING: SWAN LAKE
CLORE STUDIO - NO INTERVAL - CAMERA FILMING

INSIGHTS: THE ROYAL BALLET IN REHEARSAL

22.02.2024 7:30 PM

SWAN LAKE – Choreography by Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov, production and additional choreography by Liam Scarlett, music by Pyotr Il’yich Tchaikovsky.

APPROXIMATE TIMINGS

The rehearsal lasts about 1 hour 15 minutes. There is no interval.
Edited by PeterS
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PeterS said:
REHEARSING: SWAN LAKE
CLORE STUDIO - NO INTERVAL - CAMERA FILMING

INSIGHTS: THE ROYAL BALLET IN REHEARSAL

22.02.2024 7:30 PM

The link to  the ROH Youtube is here and it should remain online after the livestream.  Nobody needs to panic if it is missed!  

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Watching Leo Dixon and Teo Dubreil rehearsing / learning the role of Benno, only serves to remind me of how easy Alex Campbell made this part look when it’s clearly very tricky.   It was created on him.   Going to be a challenge for the newbies.  

Edited by FionaM
Typos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, FionaM said:

Going to be a challenge for the newbies.  

There were some other new Bennos at the last Swan Lake outing, I think?

Joonhyuk Jun certainly sticks in my mind.

And Teo does say that he’s only had ‘learning calls’ so far (i.e. the very first stage in the preparatory process).

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

Very enjoyable Insight - I thought Samira Saidi was an excellent coach and it was interesting seeing the dancers at slightly different stages of their journeys into these roles. I found I couldn't take my eyes off Nadia Mullova-Barley - already picturing her as Odette/Odile! And the presenter (Tamsin Roberts) was very good too, with Rob Clark wonderful as ever at the piano.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

There were some other new Bennos at the last Swan Lake outing, I think?

Joonhyuk Jun certainly sticks in my mind.

I think also Richardson, Yudes & Sissens? Though I'm not certain. It's difficult to keep track of Bennos when they're not given in the advanced casting. I really wish they were, given how much dancing the character has.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

I found I couldn't take my eyes off Nadia Mullova-Barley - already picturing her as Odette/Odile!

Yes. I couldn't take my eyes off her either - and barely started rehearsals! I remember her last run in the Spanish Dance and she was just brilliant. 

• Like 4

I thought they were both lovely. Two Royal Ballet School lower and upper school graduates.

Julia Roscoe I think is a most elegant dancer with such a 'creamy' dance quality, uses her eyes so well, eloquent arms, and her beautiful neck and poised head I can't stop watching!  (And that smile of course.) Nothing flashy, simply gorgeous dancing. 

I'm sure the Royal Ballet won't object to a screenshot of them both. 

Also, some of the best coaching / teaching I've seen in an Insight; all the small technical details that make a difference,  Samira Saidi was really on top of it all. 

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/insights-the-royal-ballet-in-rehearsal/cast-list/58605

Julia Roscoe.jpg

• Like 11

I was enormously impressed by Samira Saidi's brilliant coaching. She found just the right words to suggest, in many cases, very subtle improvements. And Leo Dixon's clean, elegant dancing bowled me over!

• Like 4