Royal Ballet Insight and In Rehearsal discussion

Just had this in

Insights

The dates of the below Insights which were unknown at the time of your Spring magazine going to print have now been confirmed as:

The Royal Opera House in Rehearsal on 22 April 2020
Elektra on 12 May 2020  
Behind the Scenes - Film & Broadcast on 13 May 2020 

Four further Insights have also been added to the Programme:

In Conversation with Antonio Pappano on 27 January 2020, Linbury Theatre 
In Conversation with David Hallberg on 19 March 2020, Clore Studio
In conversation with Francesca Hayward on 6 April 2020, Linbury Theatre
Behind the Scenes Hair, Wigs and Make-up on 30 April 2020, Clore Studio

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/11/2019 at 19:48, Sim said:

Yes you are right.  

The school is a very prestigious one in Rio de Janeiro. As Mayara has explained in interviews she gained a scholarship to study there through a social project the school holds. Ballet is quite expensive here in Brazil so for her that support and later guidance of teachers made a lot of difference in her life. We have amazing dancers here but it’s usually through competition that they have any chance to be part of a big company, that’s why many are prepared to participate in such events, in the hopes of a scholarship to schools like the RBS or an offer of contract. There are exceptions of course but usually our dancers have some connections to competitions like the YAPG or Prix, Mayara Magri being the first brazilian one to win the later.

Petite Danse has another former student in the RBS ( maybe a future company member?) his name is Denilson Almeida and you can catch him in this years World Ballet Day rehearsing the 2nd Movement. He also appeared last year during the streaming. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, MJW said:

Just had this in

Insights

The dates of the below Insights which were unknown at the time of your Spring magazine going to print have now been confirmed as:

The Royal Opera House in Rehearsal on 22 April 2020
Elektra on 12 May 2020  
Behind the Scenes - Film & Broadcast on 13 May 2020 

Four further Insights have also been added to the Programme:

In Conversation with Antonio Pappano on 27 January 2020, Linbury Theatre 
In Conversation with David Hallberg on 19 March 2020, Clore Studio
In conversation with Francesca Hayward on 6 April 2020, Linbury Theatre
Behind the Scenes Hair, Wigs and Make-up on 30 April 2020, Clore Studio

I got this too, now on website but can’t find them?

I didn’t see the Insights when Dame Beryl Grey apparently jumped up and joined in but it did strike we watching this Insight on Beauty that although Samantha Raine worked very technically with the dancers there seemed to be no input at an artistic level to help define the nature of the solo. This struck me as odd ...

32 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I didn’t see the Insights when Dame Beryl Grey apparently jumped up and joined in but it did strike we watching this Insight on Beauty that although Samantha Raine worked very technically with the dancers there seemed to be no input at an artistic level to help define the nature of the solo. This struck me as odd ...

I noticed that too, but I assumed that that kind of input comes from others in the company and that Samantha Raine's input is primarily technical. i.e. she's a ballet mistress, not a coach. Not sure if I'm right about that though!

1 hour ago, Jamesrhblack said:

By coincidence the Insight rehearsal which Dame Beryl so immeasurably enhanced was also led by Samantha Raine.

A different style of rehearsal was shown during the Bolshoi section of this year’s World Ballet Day. Ratmansky coaching Giselle starts at around 3 hours 32 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF5Nkg_MrhE

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

On 19/11/2019 at 07:13, Sebastian said:

The question of what constitutes “the original” is an interesting one and not entirely straightforward. Vsevolozhsky said he was setting the Perrault tale: in this there is no kiss (that appears in the later version from the brothers Grimm) but, as one translation has it, “the princess awoke, and bestowed upon him a look more tender than a first glance might seem to warrant”. 

On 19/11/2019 at 09:28, Sebastian said:

And here is the relevant section from Joan Lawson's authoritative 1942 translation of the working documents for the ballet (a shortened version of which appeared in the programme for the first night in 1890)  --

>>"He [Prince Desire] goes up to the Sleeping Beauty and kisses her on the brow - the music rises to a crescendo. Then a pause. The spell is broken. Aurora and the entire court awake...The music expresses: astonishment, wonder, happiness and joy. Everyone embraces at seeing each other again."

However if one goes back earlier, to the story which inspired Perrault for his 'La Belle au bois dormant' of 1697, one does indeed find sexual violence. As Jeanne Morgan details in her comprehensive account, Perrault drew on Basile's 1634 story 'Sole, Luna e Talia' in which

"a king, who is already married, finds Talia unconscious in her locked room and ravishes her. Nine months later she gives birth to twin children...(But in Perrault) there is no rape of the sleeping princess; instead, she awakens when the Prince approaches her"

(from 'Perrault's Morals for Moderns', Jeanne Morgan, 1985)

Edited by Sebastian

• 2 months later...

Wonderful Insight this evening: Zenaida Yanowsky coaching Fumi Kaneko as Odette and then Mayara Magri as Odile, followed by Wayne Sleep rehearsing Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Joseph Sissens in the Neapolitan Dance. Kevin O'Hare spoke at the beginning and Kate Shipway was the pianist. I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the presenter (Tamsin …?) but she was good. The coaching was brilliant! Yanowsky thrillingly illuminating about both roles (Odette in her own world when she first appears; Odile's arrogance, laughter, irony), and I remembered why for me she was one of the great Odette-Odiles. Both Kaneko and Magri looked terrific. Wayne Sleep was both entertaining and helpful, especially about the Ashtonian emphases in the dance and the need to really present themselves to the audience. Really interesting and enjoyable!

• Like 19

I was watching the streaming - it was fab! Zenaida passing on that intelligence of her interpretation to Fumi and Mayara was a particular treat. And watching Wayne Sleep 'Ashtonise' Anna Rose and Joseph even more than they were already, was joyful.

We also had onstream before it, Northern Ballet's Insight evening for Geisha, with Kenneth Tindall rehearsing the dancers and a chat with him and the composer Alexandra Harwood. This was also very enjoyable - so a terrific double header on the computer this evening! 🙂

• Like 5

I would agree the insight event was amazing.  The presenter was called Tamsin Roberts and I agree she was very good. 

I really thought Zenaida brought the best out of the performers.  She's a really interesting person with a lot of insight into the characters.  Both Fumi and Mayara were amazing.  I was so inspired by the fact that Mayara fell at one point and picked herself up, shrugged and went on dancing.  I do a beginner ballet class and when I stumble or fall I usually spend the journey back from class beating myself up.  In future I'm going to shrug and go on with confidence, like she did.   

I also really loved watching Wayne Sleep coaching.  He's so full of intelligent comment and funny anecdotes.  I thought the dancers were superb and had so much energy and brilliance.   

I also really thought Kevn O'Hare came across well in the introduction and the post performance Q&A (which I don't think was captured on the recording).  When you see him in person you realise he has rather lovely eyes.  I don't normally go for men with beards but he's actually quite cute. 

• Like 8

I must agree with all the plaudits for Zenaida Yanowsky and Wayne Sleep: that was a real Insights Evening. I’ve been watching Swan Lake for nearly 42 years and I was still learning. Streets ahead of the “And 1 and 2, and squeeze” we saw with the Beauty variations.

• Like 5

Definitely one of the most enjoyable insights. A treat to see so many of the current young talented dancers alongside those who have had illustrious careers passing on the torch. This is the second time recently that Wayne Sleep has been filmed coaching a role. Unsurprisingly, he is a fun and interesting character, but I also like his behaviour towards the dancers - demanding, courteous and appreciative. I imagine they enjoy working with him. Zenaida Yanowsky similarly demonstrated why being coached  by dancers who have inhabited a role must be so stimulating. Encouraging a dancer to find their own interpretation, once they have mastered the steps, must be the Holy Grail, and her comments about teaching showed the sensitivity and intelligence surrounding corrections. There is no one ‘right’ way to dance a role. Ignoring  the cloud currently hanging over the company, there is a lovely atmosphere that seems to emanate from Kevin O’Hare’s management and manifests itself in the glimpses we get from various rehearsals and classes.

• Like 13

A particularly good insight, very well presented and coached. I often go to see these in the studio and love being close to the action but it wasn't possible on this occasion and I am kicking myself for having plans which clashed! I think they focussed on some very interesting elements - the difference between how Odette and Odile dance/perform and a lovely reminder of RB heritage with Ashton's Neapolitan.

Zenaida Yanowski really gave some incredible 'thinking artiste' insight into the roles and interesting to hear about the speedy switch from white to black swan between acts! Enjoyed seeing Fumi and Mayara dancing - delighted they both get a chance to dance Odile/Odette this time round.

Then onto Wayne Sleep with Anna Rose O'Sullivan and Josep Sissons who are such a joy to watch. Neapolitan dance is a really tough one to be coached in public though - all of those tiny precise jumps with such elevation (as well as the upper body movement and breathing mentioned by Sleep)- it looks exhausting enough in performance, never mind on repeat in the studio.

• Like 8

I thoroughly enjoyed this rich feast. It’s many years since I’ve managed to get a ticket to an insight evening in person so I appreciate it being broadcast. Always a big fan of Zen, her coaching reminded me why, such intelligent depth to her interpretation. Wayne was as entertaining as ever and I am so glad to see Ashton being well taught, always so hard corrections make it harder, but he did it with a lightness of touch. I always admire the dancers willingness to be coached in public at the end of a busy day. 

• Like 7

Not ballet, but I despair at the lack of information, or poor information about the streaming of Insights. There is one on  iFidelio next week, inevitably sold out, and nothing on the website to say it is televised.  Looking at You Tube, we are told it's being streamed on 23 Feb (Sunday) starting at 2330! As it is not taking place until 24 Feb at 1930 this could be tricky!

• Like 4

Is the SW Insight livestream available to view on repeat anywhere? Thank you fir the well foresees reviews; I’ve never been to an insight (tickets always sold out - to ROH friends mostly I presume?) - are they often streamed & how do we get to know about them? I must say I think the ROH database & email outs are pretty poor; I never get anything about ballet , yet loads for Opera. I’ve updated & tweaked profile as much as allowed but still feel short changed 🙁

• Like 2

The SW insight is available on YouTube.In general, the insights are advertised on You Tube a few days before they are due, but as my post shows, times are not to be trusted! I usually, when one is advertised on the web site then check the ROH website to get details. At one time, if you subscribed to the ROH on You Tube you were sent an email notifying you but this is no longer done. It all seems very haphazard.

8 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Must confess to not being a user of social media (other than here if course!) nor YouTube.....thank you to posters of links for technophobes like me to piggy back on! 

I will aim to post here so you will know when it is going to be up. I too appreciate all the links for things I would not otherwise have seen or known about.

• Like 6

• 3 years later...
Guest oncnp
3 hours ago, lollylamb1 said:

Just had a question re: https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/insights-50-years-of-manon-details#background - booked 1 ticket that came available last night, but noticed something that it read 'only one ticket per person'. Is this a new policy? If there were two available, I would have got two. 

When I've booked for Insights in the past the limit has been 2. Perhaps as this is a special, they are limiting to one?

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

When I've booked for Insights in the past the limit has been 2. Perhaps as this is a special, they are limiting to one?

4 hours ago, lollylamb1 said:

noticed something that it read 'only one ticket per person'. Is this a new policy? If there were two available, I would have got two. 

I think this might have something to do with the level of Friends or non-Friends, similar to rehearsal ticket allowance.  And whether another Insight event ticket has been bought within the same booking period.

Guest oncnp
25 minutes ago, Silke H said:

I think this might have something to do with the level of Friends or non-Friends, similar to rehearsal ticket allowance.  And whether another Insight event ticket has been bought within the same booking period.

I thought that as well so went back to check my Friend's "benefits". The ROH website ("Become a Friend") doesn't seem to mention Insights (only rehearsals, and nothing in the small print in the T&Cs) but the AFOCG site (American Friends where I subscribe) does say this:

FRIEND - Equivalent to UK Supporting Friend (except it's more expensive and there's no monthly option) 

Priority in requesting at least two tickets per production, limited number of rehearsal tickets and Insight Program events

Edited by oncnp