Tring Park sixth form auditions

Danceroo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Thanks for this.... funny, I called school just 2 days ago to ask for audition dates & was told not out yet! So many dates for 6th form dance.... must be expecting large numbers of applicants 

Yes, it’s looks like they do. I was surprised to see that one of the 6th music auditions is already full! 

I’ve emailed Tring today with a question about fees for boarding if DC is lucky to receive a DaDa. I hope they will reply soon

16 hours ago, Happymum said:

Yes, it’s looks like they do. I was surprised to see that one of the 6th music auditions is already full! 

I’ve emailed Tring today with a question about fees for boarding if DC is lucky to receive a DaDa. I hope they will reply soon

Ooh, let us know if they come back to you! Fingers crossed....

I’ve received a reply from Tring today: 

In reply to your email, based on the income you mentioned the fees would approximately be £..........  per term for the tuition and then the boarding element which would be around £4300.00 per term. There are three terms in each year.

This is based on current fees and therefore are likely to increase/ change for September 2020.

For us the above means that we can’t afford it which is a shame as they offer all the A level subject my DC wants to do. On the positive side - one less audition/hotel/photos etc to organise, trying to see positive in everything 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happymum said:

I’ve received a reply from Tring today: 

In reply to your email, based on the income you mentioned the fees would approximately be £..........  per term for the tuition and then the boarding element which would be around £4300.00 per term. There are three terms in each year.

This is based on current fees and therefore are likely to increase/ change for September 2020.

For us the above means that we can’t afford it which is a shame as they offer all the A level subject my DC wants to do. On the positive side - one less audition/hotel/photos etc to organise, trying to see positive in everything 

Thank you for the update Happymum.  That is a fair bit for boarding.  I think that also crosses it off our list sadly, Dada or no Dada.

Not a good day today... I looked at the cost of accommodation suggested for Central and ENBS students and it varies from £200 to £400 per week!!! Maybe I’m mistaken but if not it’s on average around £13.000 per year (10 months) so same like Tring but then you need to add the cost of food (and possibly every day transport) so ends up being more expensive then Tring!! How do others cope? Obviously I must have got it wrong, please correct me otherwise my DC will be heartbroken, I already am 

4 hours ago, Danceintherain said:

Yes, Central is a degree, so student loan to cover course fees and a maintenance loan to help with living expenses.  Worth looking into more, as it might not be as bad as it initially seems (at least, that's what I'm telling myself!).

I think that maintenance loan is only for those who earn below £33.000 (ish, if I remember well). We are lucky to have a higher income then that ( not much!) so there will be no help with living costs, just student loan or DaDA award to help with school fees. 

11 minutes ago, Happymum said:

I think that maintenance loan is only for those who earn below £33.000 (ish, if I remember well). We are lucky to have a higher income then that ( not much!) so there will be no help with living costs, just student loan or DaDA award to help with school fees. 

For Dadas that is true, and the maintenance through them isn't all that much unless you are at the bottom of the scale.  It's different for degrees.  Have a look at the student loan calculator here - https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator  (albeit an estimate)

23 minutes ago, Danceintherain said:

For Dadas that is true, and the maintenance through them isn't all that much unless you are at the bottom of the scale.  It's different for degrees.  Have a look at the student loan calculator here - https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator  (albeit an estimate)

Thank you Danceintherain!!!! I didn’t know about it. Maybe we can add Central to our very short  list, we Will need to think it through. Once again - I’ll go mad without this forum... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happymum said:

Thank you Danceintherain!!!! I didn’t know about it. Maybe we can add Central to our very short  list, we Will need to think it through. Once again - I’ll go mad without this forum... 

You're welcome.  I was also very relieved when I found this out and, for us, it may be the better option than upper schools with Dadas.  We will just need to go through the process and hope for the best!

Sadly I came up with pretty much the same potential costs for London student accommodation.... and additional costs like laundry/meals all have to be added 

Wish we could go back to how it was in de Valois days when setting up Sadler’s Wells Ballet.... at 15 our DC’s would be joining a company & learning on the job! At arguably the time when they are best suited to learning...pop singers can go straight out in bands... no one expects them to stay training if already good enough & goodness me there are lots of good enough 15 year old DC’s.... especially from overseas as training there still seems  to be aimed at them being career ready at 15.....

Also I seem to recall the likes of Durante/Ferri joining our RB aged around 15? 

Just trying to save us all money! 😉

I’m also confused re: student loan for degree courses. We’d nit qualify for any living costs under dada rules, but are families  means tested for living cost for student to get loan? And how does that sit with the fact that family expected to help support financially yet are not allowed any feedback??? I really have not looked into this yet so any definitive info from those in the know would be great - thanks! 

Hi have no experience of vocational school degrees but I’m speaking as  a parent of a child who was living away from home at University. Student Finance England, or whichever country in Great Britain you are from, will give you all the information you need. There are maintenance loans available for living costs as well as a loan to cover course fees. The assessment for this takes into account the parents’ household income and benefits in kind, and the student is awarded a maintenance loan based on these figures. Even with two reasonably good salaries coming into our home, our child qualified for the minimum maintenance loan which was about £4000. It all helps!

One thing to consider is that some of the degree courses’ fees are higher than the maximum course fees for student loans, so there may be a top-up of fees required too. Good luck with it all; it’s a financial nightmare!

3 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Sadly I came up with pretty much the same potential costs for London student accommodation.... and additional costs like laundry/meals all have to be added 

Wish we could go back to how it was in de Valois days when setting up Sadler’s Wells Ballet.... at 15 our DC’s would be joining a company & learning on the job! At arguably the time when they are best suited to learning...pop singers can go straight out in bands... no one expects them to stay training if already good enough & goodness me there are lots of good enough 15 year old DC’s.... especially from overseas as training there still seems  to be aimed at them being career ready at 15.....

Also I seem to recall the likes of Durante/Ferri joining our RB aged around 15? 

Just trying to save us all money! 😉

Oh wow small world. Mine and my DD’s ballet teacher was taught by Nanette De Valois . I think she originally attended SW but then transferred to RBS. She was only 15 and was offered a professional contract on graduation.   Decided to teach instead. Celebrated her 80th birthday last month whilst still teaching. Never too old to dance, not dancing making you old. 🙆‍♀️  

Edited by balletbean

• 3 months later...

Hello, could anyone who has had a child join Tring sixth form please explain the procedure to me! Confused.... my daughter attended yesterday and had a magnificent day, she throughly enjoyed the experience and the school. Are funding auditions offered to candidates that the panel saw potential in or does everyone go through to funding auditions that is successful at the first audition? Thank you to anyone for clarification!