Going Back to ballet continued...

Fiz

Phoned new ballet class (Sleaford) tonight and its come up trumps, immediately after ballet on a Wednesday, the ballet teacher, teaches stretching and toning, I think I will combine those for a couple of weeks starting on 21 st Nov.

If the teacher is as good as my other two (they are absolutely brilliant) then I will do a second ballet class on the Thursday with them. That will give me 4 ballet classes a week.

One bonus is I don’t need to give up any of my other dance classes or social dances to accommodate this

• Like 2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great news Michelle, nearly a fulll time dancer :)

What do you mean?, I have been a full seven day aw week dancer for along time, doing sometimes more than one dance venue in the same night, but just was not ballet. Hower it is getting more difficult to organise time, only today I was asked if I would teach someone Salsa. Off soon to London to see if EB is and the ballet world are ready for me. ha ha ha.

I’ve loads of things to keep me busy, my new sprung dance floor panels arrive today on a big pallet, must start that after ballet class Thursday morning.

Had a really wonderful time at EB, about 25 dancers of a mixed age group, about 5 were newbie’s. It was a very informal fun class. It started with stretching but that went on for the best part of 30minutes, much longer than any normal warm-up, but it was useful, it was also very similar to Scottish ballet “Core de Ballet" vimeo.com/44250588 which I use every day as a cool down.

The remaining time was spent mainly at the barre where time passed so very quickly, again it was very informal with no preparation steps as the music does its intro, I guess I’m being a bit old fashioned now, but that is tradition at my other classes. Similarly there was no reverence at the end, which always adds a bit of elegance, however as a tiny bit of centre practice we did do a few little jumps and some port de bras, the port de bras exercises were nice, as I always enjoy them.

The atmosphere was very welcoming and relaxed, they really were a lovely bunch of dancers including our teacher “Klasis”. I will be going back for the odd day, but I suspect it will be their last week in December as I have other places to check out, and probable persuade them to go out for a chrismas celebratory drink/meal, I have planted te seed with Klaris.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Last night was very odd at ballet. There was me, the other older woman and a 19 year old who is hoping to audition for dance college and is a beautiful dancer. So..I must be honest, I do not care much for TOOW. Last night, she kept saying, "When X taught us..." I longed for our very sweet teacher to tell her that she wasn't X! She also said that she had looked at a page on a web site and seen a nice Spanish tutu. I asked if she had changed her mind. "No", she said coolly, "I was just looking".Also, for someone that has danced for eight years, her demi and pointing is very poor. (Meow! ;) ) However we did have a good class and our teacher is fairly stinting with praise and she was very pleased last night, particularly with me, so that was really nice! :D

Hi Fiz, what does TOOW mean. I’ve just come from my class this morning, the hall was cold, even my teacher Nicky didn’t were here leotard this morning, I did. Unfortunately no ballet next week as the hall is being used for elections, so Nicky is tacking an extra one on before the December break. The class this morning was quite uneventful only 5 including me. At least I had a good session after all the girls has gone, I often do another 10 -15 minutes on more advanced moves, at least Nicky breaks them down for me so I properly understand the basics that I have never covered before, and she lets me video them too which is extremely helpful, she’s an absolute treasure.

How is your show prep going?

So I saw the owner of my previous school today and she wanted to know how I was getting on. I told her about the show and she wants to come and watch it if it doesn't clash with hers (you know, the one adults were not allowed in). I said she would probably laugh.I was astonished when she said, "I would not! You are a very good dancer!" in front of all her dance parents (they now use the school I clean at) and several of my co workers! I was staggered and so,so pleased :D I lamented my lack of pointe likelihood and she advised me to find a place where I could learn pointe as well as the school I attend. Wow! Just wow! ;)

• Like 4

Went to ballet tonight, all newbie’s again, different girls from last week, however I did see our young man in the reception area, he’s helping out with some promotion and said he will be back in class next week. Again we had two young ladies in their earl twenties, one had to go early; I think she was a drama student from the local uni. Then we had a TOOW, she had done Ballet from a tot until she was 16, her mum was a ballet teacher, never the less she managed to get her arms wrong a couple of times (Meow! ;) ). Mostly we reapeted what we had done last week.

I just hope the class can keep going, and some of the absent dancers come back.

• Like 1

So I just might have a new job teaching ballet to tinies and junior grades. Work yesterday was awful and I would love this. If you are the praying sort, please pray I get this job and it has enough hours to make it possible :D

• Like 6

Further to the costumes for our show dance, my dance teacher has now decided that no one shall wear a tutu - all because of one selfish woman! She thought it would look wrong to have some in skirts and some in tutus, which it would. We are going to wear that gorgeous lace topped leotard from Dance Direct with them. I have lusted for this for some time, but Madam said she wanted the ones with long sleeves since she already had it but the teacher and I both jumped on her. I said that since we had to buy them, I already wanted the cap sleeve version whereas I would never wear the long sleeved version and the teacher also said it would look wrong if she was the only person wearing long sleeves so she would have to buy the other version. You should have seen the sour look on her face as she said, "It seems I have been outvoted". Dead right! The whole class is not going to wear a tutu thanks to her and I was not going to give in over this. In other stunning news, a farm vehicle removed my right wing mirror on the way to ballet. It was too wide, and going too fast and then swerved over the central line of the A10. There has been a lot of trouble with these things over the summer and autumn round here and it had happened yet again :angry: I took it out on my ballet, which was great, despite having a wide seatbelt strap across my chest which everyone noticed. It was so misty - not quite fog - that I was praying out loud on the way home. I was so scared and missed the turn so had to stay on and I was so relieved and grateful to see my family again :D

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by Fiz
  • Like 2

Glad you're ok, there was an awful crash on the A10 the other day - it does seem to be an accident blackspot lately.

Good for you, and well done for putting your foot down over show costumes! This woman sounds a right one who likes getting her own way all the time :angry: You never know, perhaps she'll get the hump and take herself off somewhere else...

• Like 2

That really does sound like poetic justice Fiz, sounds like him upstairs has got a favourable eye you after all.

We too have problem with farm vehicle this time of year, I was coming home from Skegness hospital Tuesday night and must have met at least a dozen tractors towing all sorts of stuff and this was on both sides of the road. Some with poor lighting, others with the amber flashing light obscured from behind. I never see one farm vehicle pull over to let long streams of traffic by.

There was awful fog here last night. I drove back from King Lynn (about 40 miles away) from a ballet performance, it was very think in places and a real problem where there is no white lines, there also doesn’t seem to be the cat’s eyes that used to be present years ago.

Slightly related to your other posting. I had a strange email from Lincolnshire Dance yesterday, the people who run my Lincoln ballet class. The header said “Volunteering”, and then it went on to say they want to talk to me about a “Dance Buddy scheme” at my next ballet class. I wonder if anyone has come across such schemes?.

• Like 1

Thank you, Taxi, Michelle and JB :) I am glad you were all right, Michelle. There have been several accidents and near misses round here and someone I follow on Twitter described another near miss, although a wall was totalled and the farm vehicles were still being driven like bats out of hell even after that and the police were in attendance :( Idiots!

There was awful fog here last night. I drove back from King Lynn (about 40 miles away) from a ballet performance, it was very think in places and a real problem where there is no white lines, there also doesn’t seem to be the cat’s eyes that used to be present years ago.

That sounds really grim - there can't be many things more unnerving than driving through the Fens at night in thick fog. We got caught out there in a blizzard one night years ago, and I've never forgotten it.

• Like 1

Awww Taxi4ballet, so you took the easy route then,

I always used to carry a shovel and coal sifter, to dig my way through snow drifts, as well as wellies and a mini survival kit, just in case. With the flat fenland when you get an opening like a gate or a clearing between hedges, you get snow drifts, some quite large. Occasionally our village would get cut off, probably once in 10 years, but when it snows drifting is a problem, especially on the minor road, they are also least likely to get salted or cleared.

Never seen any Yeti around the here in the fens though.

I've always thought when there's an east wind that the fens were in a straight line from Siberia!

A few years ago I took dd to her friend's birthday party in Great Yarmouth, (on a sunny April day), and I swear it was 20 degrees colder there than it was when we got in the car to leave home.

Taxi4ballet: I remember some years ago with a north easterly and high wind chill factor the temperature did actually fall to -20º that is the coldest I have ever know it and diesel was freezing in buses. This must have been 20 to 25 years ago.

Fiz: Went and checked out my new dance school today at Sleaford before starting on Wednesday, I deliberately went unannounced to see things as they normally are. The place was empty apart from the girl on the reception desk. She was very obliging, she gave me a conducted tour round the three dance studios, all fitted with sprung floors, mirrors and barre’s, although the sighting of some of the barre’s were a little disappointing, but she did say they had portable barre’s too, I only see one and it was tiny. The building itself is only about 8 years old, has a small Cafeteria mainly for mums, and adequate changing rooms, it also has a small shop on site but only stocks ballet things for youngsters.

So we will see what happen on Wednesday, unfortunately I will only get a couple of sessions in with them before the Christmas break as I am back down with EB at The Royal Opera House on the 12th December. Sleaford start back on the 2nd Jan so I will do both Wednesdays and Thursdays with them then.

Fiz : New sprung floor is in my own studio now and its all back together, did my first full Ballet aerobic workout this morning after a break of nearly two weeks, and yes my performance has fallen back, although I have kept up the gym workouts. So I have now got to regain ground over the weekend, no rest for the wicked is there.

lets hope that the teaching is good

I’m sure she will be, if not I will just have to bring her up to speed.

Not a good weekend, I too have car trouble, had a clunking sound when I take up drive or decelerate last night on the way to a dance in Boston, bit worried about what it was, drove it carefully home afterwards. Waited for the rain to stop this morning and had a look at the steering, a rubber bush on the driver side has shattered. Called the garage that does the servicing for me, and actually found someone on service reception, told them what was wrong, but they still need to see it Monday, they don’t have the part so they have to order it, and they don’t have any spare loan cars free either. So the whole thing is a bit of a poop for Monday when I have ballet at Lincoln.