Going Back to ballet continued...

Fiz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Fiz

Went to my Lincoln class tonight, I thought it was going to be a disaster, my workout at home today was quite painful in the neck and shoulder from my Awesome Abs class yesterday. Debra my teacher has put me on the advanced Abs routines yesterday, I know it got me in the shoulders, as if my head was very heavy, but I usually recover in a minute or two. Sometimes my Abs ache a couple of days after, but yesterday I lefts as I arrived, it wasn’t until I started this morning I had a not so gentle reminder.

Ballet workout in my studio after, was also a bit of a poop, nothing really worked right, I seem to spend ages on glissades for tonight’s little sequence, but they were rubbish, my knee also started aching, on the leg I hurt last week, that concerned me, I couldn’t or dare not do fondu’s on that leg. I wasn’t in a very positive frame of mind going to class tonight. However once there, it was a really good night, I think that’s becoming my favourite class now.

I just hope my prep at home tomorrow (tues) is Ok for my two classes at the ROH on Wednesday night, I really do want to give a good account of myself there.

Have you done any more with teaching youngster ballet, as you mentioned some time back?

Take care

That's a bit of a sore point, Michelle. I was told before Christmas that girls doing the Duke of Edinburgh award would work with the younger ones for nothing, so that was who they would be using it future. Oh well. :(

Hi Fiz

Aww that’s awful, you must be really disappointed.

I was very thankful when my two girls from our self help group didn’t want to come back to mine this morning for an after class session. I was so tired from my two class at the Royal Opera House last night, I didn’t get home until after midnight, and it must have been close on 2AM before I actually got to bed. Unfortunately I took awhile to get to sleep because my mind was still alive with the fantastic evening I had.

In fact I have had two really good days in spite of my early 9.30 AM class this morning.

Went to Ballet at Peterborough tonight, we had a stand in teacher, as our regular one had been involved in an accident and is suffering from whiplash. Our stand in was a young lady in her early twenties, it was brilliant and she could really think on her feet.

A nice end to my ballet week, its Salsa tomorrow but no ballet unless I can commandeer the dance floor at the end of the evening for the last 15 minutes, downside is I have to dance ballet to whatever salsa rhythm is playing.

Ballet was great on Wednesday. Mary worked us really hard. I couldn't do pose turns as I went really dizzy with the first one, so she got me to practice just going across the floor going up and down without the turn. It worked very well. We did the show dance and it went really well. One of the girls has alopecia, poor love, and has shaved her head - she looks great as her head is the right shape for it. She is going to wear a wig for the show and everyone envies the fact that she won't have to mess around with bun making and hairspray :)

Hi Fiz

I don’t usually wear buns for class, its not mandatory in any of our classes. I usually just clip it back at the beginning of class, its quick and easy. However in anticipation of my LAB summer intensive, I thought I should get used to a bun. I guess I cheated, I went to my hair dressers to get it done, and yes I like it now. I had it done Wednesday for my ROH classes and have left it in. I’m amazed how well its held (Friday), I’m going to try and push it to Monday, but its really uncomfortable to sleep in though. I guess I am going to have to get to grips with doing it myself.

Went to my Salsa class / dance tonight, but didn’t do my usual bit of ballet across the dance floor last thing, two of the dancers ask me as why I wasn’t doing my ballet, they sounded disappointed. I guess that’s fame at last ha ha ha. It was nice of them to ask though, also some complements about the bun too.

I have ask our Salsa dance teachers / organisers if I can bring in a ballet track to dance a sequence on the dance floor last thing when its clear, they have agreed. Those big dance floors are fantastic to develop sequences on and I have two venues now.

• Like 1

It's not hard, Michelle, and I speak as a complete bun klutz! I have to wear a low one in the show, so I catch my hair in a low pony tail, catch up the free end and tuck it under the hair band, and use slides, hair grips and bun net to tamp down the rest of it and then use hair spray. I used to use Shockwaves but I found it left the most disgusting residue in my hair and got rid of it! I believe that a lot of the active ingredients in hair spray is a plasticiser!

Hi Fiz

Yes I will give it a try in the week, as they say practice makes perfect and I’m getting used to having my hair this way. I didn’t think I would like it at first. The only down side is, if you are partner dancing and wearing a bracelet, it can get caught in the bun net when you pass your hand over your head in a turn. It happened to me three times last night; in the end I could not free it, so someone helped. I then took the bracelet off.

Yes I have seen a few examples of those, but never really tried it in anger. I always thought it would not suit, so I guess I was looking for conformation of that when I tried it some time ago. However when I booked the appointment we allowed sufficient time to restore it back if I didnt like it, that was my contingency. I couldnt believe the result, it looked so smart, it almost shocked me. I really love it now. 

My hair dresser has shown me how to do it, but I guess its translating seeing it to touch, as you cant see the back of your head. So I guess its just practice.

The show dance went really well today. Our first attempt was messed up by one girl forgetting to put on her pointe shoes and another girl's ribbon coming off. She kicked her shoe off so fast! She was scared she might break her ankle. So we did it again and Mary said it was fine and we could go home. What a difference a week makes :)

• Like 1

It was a rehearsal, Michelle. I've had two Sunday ones, and there are three more rehearsals before the show proper. I now think it will be fine. Last week was rather chaotic but not this week, thank goodness :)

• Like 3

Hi Fiz

Fantastic, I admire you confidence, I hope I’m as confident when it come to my LAB performance, but I doubt it as that will be a new experience for me. As if that wasn’t enough, I have booked another summer school, this time with Chelsea Ballet for the week after. Only dilemma now is, if to go home at the weekend (check house & mow the laws) or to stay in London, especially as our LAB performance is on the Friday night. I think I can anticipate some celebration afterwards even if it relief that is over, so I will need stay at the hotel for Friday night too.

My chaotic week is this week, car issues again, needed to replace my tyres today, it wasn’t worth just changing a couple as I will be doing high mileage this week and apart from today and Friday there is no time to get it done. So I had to bite the bullet and get it done this morning, ready for my Lincoln class tonight and now my purse is £400 lighter. Lincoln as usual was brilliant with a 50% increase in dancers, yes another one turned up (TOOW) tonight making three of us.
Wednesday and Thursday are both manic, with multiple classes on both days, a hospital visit and a conference too. My mileage is going through the roof at the moment fuel costing at least £100 per week, and then I wonder sometimes why I get tired.

On the upside, since my leg giving way incident at Lincoln two weeks ago, it seem pretty well recovered and I can now do Fondu’s on it with full body weight. Now I can restart my morning fitness routines again.

I remember when I first joined this forum you said something to me that went something like this; Miss as session and I notice, miss two sessions and my teacher notices, miss three sessions and everyone notices. That certainly has a ring of truth about it for me; I have lost at least seven inches off walking developee height, I’m down to five feet now. Hopefully that will soon be back.

• Like 2

Hi Fiz

I did wonder if it was a number of shows, I found out Wednesday that we are to do six in July, they started the first part of the rehearsal work the week before when I was at the ROH, but I videoed the sequence so far as it was impossible for me to remember two weeks work, after coming in cold. We are to do Monday to Saturday with no Thursday performance, but we have a matinee on Saturday as well. Looks like we will be going through the costume thing, but all the girls are going for dresses; my teacher has a budget of £50 a dress, so I don’t think we will have to buy one, especially as we are all dancing together for the first part, so I guess they must match. I know some of the girls get to go on a second time, but this time on pointe, but I’m not there yet. I didn’t intend to do pointe this year at all, but talking to Chelsea ballet they have suggested I can do the first day of the beginner’s pointe class on their summer school, but that is not until August. So in the meantime I will start conditioning my feet.

I’m really looking forward to the London Amateur Ballet performance that we have to do as part of their summer intensive course in late July.

Next week is going to be a bit of a flat week with half terms, the Angles Theatre are on half term so I have had to switch to the ROH which are still running, then both of my Thursday evening classes are off, so no ballet fix then.

Lincoln was a good class tonight, the last of this term and one more dancer too, that makes four of us. I must confess I would be more comfortable with twice that number even though I prefer small classes which are far more personal.

This week is going to be a quiet week for me as most of my classes are on half term break. My Wednesday class at the theatre finished last week, just after we started rehearsals for our show, which was a real pity. So I have had to switch my end of the month visit to ROH for their two ballet classes this week, they are on break next week. Both my Thursday evening ballet classes are on half term break just leaving me my Surfleet daytime class this week. So I guess normality will be restored the week after next. So I guess it not a total disaster, as this girl just need her regular weekly ballet fix.

Went to London earlier than usual for my monthly ballet classes at the Royal Opera House, had a chance to look round the area in daylight and check out the Travel Lodge for my August Summer school with Chelsea Ballet which is held at the Pineapple Studios.

I met a really nice guy at Pineapple called Giles, he gave me a conducted tour of the building, unfortunately we couldn’t see into many of the studios as they contained classes and had their blinds down, but some were open and the odd one unoccupied. It seems one should be available for me to practice in, when between class although other dancers may be chilling out in it too, he showed me such a studio. As for others being there, I really don’t mind an audience, I guess I’m a bit of a show off at heart. Although he did say he couldn’t guarantee one would be available if it got booked.

I think when it comes to my summer school with Chelsea Ballet (the last of three consecutive summer schools), it will be time to let my hair down. The sessions I have booked with them ends at 3pm each day, Pineapple have there own a daily ballet class at 3pm so I will join that. Pineapple also runs evening Salsa classes, a dance very close to my heart. It will be like being a child in a sweetie shop with big open eyes; I will definitely have to do those classes, if only to find out how good the teachers are.

While I’m there I will also incorporate my ROH classes for that month as it saves on travelling costs.

I think future monthly trips to the ROH for me will also incorporate the 3pm ballet class at Pineapple too, that will really make the trip worth while.

ROH was a nice class last night, well attended as usual, same small group of us doing both classes. We had some brain teasers with some of the movements but had fun with pirouettes again. Finally got back to Peterborough station just after 11pm only to find my car covered in snow, got home just before midnight.

Did two ballet sessions this morning the first class at 9.30am, still tired from the night before and our hall was very cold too, a few sautés help sort that out. No more ballet classes now until Wednesday, I guess I will be like a fish out of water for a while, but I still have ballet practice to do for our annual show, and polishing that should see me through.

• Like 1

My whole weekend will be consumed by this stupid show. I am not five! I am none too pleased. I can't see my youngest and I am expected to spend all my free time cooped up in a small village theatre.All for four minutes on stage! It's bonkers.

Hi Fiz

That really does sound over the top.

I’m not sure what our lot are doing, I guess we are fortunate as we have a number of studios and our main one is quite large, it also helps with it being the town theatre.

I know we are on rehearsals now all the way up to our performance at the beginning of July with a dress rehearsal on the Saturday before. Our shows are nearly all evening shows running Monday to Saturday but no Thursday performance, except the Saturday where we have a matinee to do as well. I guess we could be there most of the day on Saturday but I really don’t know at this stage.

Anyway good luck I hope it all goes well.

• Like 1