Going Back to ballet continued...

Fiz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2dancersmum: well you know what I look like from my picture on this forum, my hair is a little longer now, but I will probably have it in a bun. However I will have my name badge on, I guess that’s a bit of legacy from work when attending professional conferences. I too will be visiting the Just Ballet stand. I haven’t booked anything either, but given the opportunity to dance I don’t think I could walk away, not once the music started.

Fiz: that’s fantastic, does that mean you have 15 minutes to go from one class to the other, so I hope they are close together. I wish you luck with that one.
Peterborough was a nice class tonight, about 10 of us, very relaxed and nothing too taxing. I think it was just what I needed after yesterdays upset. I was worried before I went as I had an email from my Thursday Kings Lynn class advising me they were on half term; there was no class there last week either. That meant I became unsure about Peterborough too, I tried phoning them but only got the answer machine, that also suggested they were still on half term, anyway I did go and they were open Hooray!

• Like 1

Has anyone heard about or been to this place for adult dance classes?

http://www.albj.co.uk/irreverentballet/

When I saw where it is DS just lives next door to it!

No I havn't but there is no shortage of adult ballet classes in London, check out this link http://londondance.com/directory/dance-classes-and-workshops/ballet/

I personally attend the two ROH classes but only once a month. Pineapple Studios in Covent Garden do a daily class at 3pm for adult beginners plus some more advanced ones too.

Got my second class starting the 12th March! I am thrilled to bits:)))

I'm so glad you have got that one in the bag, hope all goes well when you get there and it meets your expectations.

Our rehearsal was a bit of a shambles tonight, unfortunitely our teacher is on crutches as she has pulled some legaments in her foot, she can just about hobble. So leading and demontrating our show sequence was a non-starter, all she could do is describe the moves. Fortunitely I have a copy of her notes which also includes next weeks additions when I wont be there ( at a performance with a friend to see Coppelia). There were several dancers missing too, not sure why. We have come to some form of compromise over the videoing of the sequence, basically my teacher will video me with the appropriate corrections in place, but we didnt do any tonight.

Get the experience of this performance out of the way, then next year its solo for me where I have control, as I hate operating in the muddle caused by others.

It does sound a complete shambles,Michelle :( What a shame! Nicole, our new teacher worked the two of us so hard last night. It was great! I had a ton of corrections and the older woman didn't get any but you should see her dance! Miaow! I can't go on pointe yet but she isn't against the idea, so I am very happy :)

I hoped that was the case, H :) This person is is always shoving her x years of dance lessons and y amount of dance shows down my throat but she can't point her feet or plie. Also, she was the one that made quite bad mistakes in the show, not me.

Hi Fiz

Just done a couple of sessions this morning, at my local class I was the only one there for the first 10 minutes and Nicky our teacher really went to town on me. I think she was getting her own back for when I have been critical about her ballet movements, we do have a bit of friendly repartee, but I never shower up in front of class. Our second girl was delayed with a serious phone call, but came back to mine after, so she could practice the new routines we had this week. That will give us the edge on the other girls when they come back.

Nicky always gives me lots of feedback as I ask her for it, she also know I can take it warts and all, so she never holds back. I know she is far more sensitive about how she deals with most of the rest of the class as their motives for being there are far different from mine.

In some ways I wish Nicky would do a show that incorporates ballet, I know she did one for the tap crowd last year, but I guess there would be too few takers from our class.

• Like 1

Hi Fiz

It looks as if today is the day for feedback; I think you must have started something.

I went to my evening ballet class at Performing Arts tonight, third session today. I was the only one there, so it was a real one to one.

It was fantastic as Karen my relatively new teacher and I got to know each other, I also cleared the air regarding wanting feedback, then I got it by the bucket full, it was really good. I think Karen enjoyed it too, as normally she finishes about 5 minute before time, we didn’t tonight. I also made it clear I am happy for them to cancel if I’m the only one going as I can switch to Peterborough, where I go on alternate weeks, but never the less I am more than happy to do a one to one if that’s still feasible for them. A really nice end to the day.

• Like 2

Good ballet class at Lincoln last night, only three of us again, added some more to our sequence which was fun and back to pirouettes again, I really like those.

Started a new fitness class at Spalding called “body Balance”, lots of stretching, on Monday and Wednesday mornings, should complement other flexibility training I do.

Thanks KathyG

I sent my application for this one back in December, but they did say students would not have their places confirmed until March, I’m still waiting.

I see from one of the other threads that English National Ballet do adult classes too. I dropped them an email last night but I’m still waiting for a reply. But I think I will be declined. Basically I want to do multiple classes on the same night as a drop in dancer, they also say adult students on special occasions have the opportunity to perform on stage with ENB dancers; I would really love to do that.

Unfortunately with living approximately 100miles from London it’s too expensive to travel there every week, other that for possibly rehearsals. At the moment I attend two Royal Opera House ballet classes on the same night, once a month as they allow drop in dancers and that works out well for me, at least it did as I used to go the last Wednesday of every month, now it has to be during term and half term breaks of one of my other ballet classes as we are in the middle of rehearsals at the Angles Theatre ballet class.

I had such a wonderful class tonight :) Nicole works us really hard and I love it! I did something not quite right and she said "Do it again! If you are going to do pointe, you need to get this right!" Oh, wow! I am so high :)

• Like 2

Hi Fiz

I’m so happy your new class has worked out well for you.

I’ve been to my Thursday morning ballet class and I’m in the dog house, Unfortunately my passion and a little bit too much enthusiasm has upset the apple cart and I got reprimanded by my teacher. I really feel awful about what has happened but it was entirely my own fault. I guess I need to be on best behaviour to mend this bridge as I really value this teacher professionally and as a friend too. I’m not in a nice place at the moment and I need to snap out of it as I’m at class at Peterborough tonight.

PS  No I didn't do a pirouette at the barre to change position in class as per the other thread, but I did try a couple before we got started.

Peterborough class was a good class tonight, about a dozen or so dancers, however about half that number were late teen students prepping for exams. We did quite a lot with pirouettes and sequences, it was quite fast moving too. My only down side is, I can’t be there every week unless I cut myself in half, that is one of the drawbacks of time sharing two different ballet classes on the same time slot. I really enjoy it though and the last ballet class for this week.

• Like 1

I miss my teenage pals! Three of them are very good dancers and truly nice people as well. However Nicole is the right teacher for me - here to work, get on with it, no excuses!I cannot speak for the other person though! She used to get away with murder and she is not allowed to do that any more :)

Hi Fiz

Email sent as promised, Lincoln was another really good night tonight, only three of us though, our OOL returned and our young half a girl is now a full girl as she has since moved to Lincoln and no longer has to leave early to catch her bus. We are starting a new routine next week so that should be good then build it up week by week, that really works for me.