Going Back to ballet continued...

Fiz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the dress rehearsal was a very mixed bag. The dancers were great and I was all right but the dressers and runners just aren't doing their jobs. It is fine to let older kids change and check the running order but far too many young kids were late on stage because those who should have been helping were sitting around talking. Also there is no one in the wings to keep them quiet or to stop them mowing down those coming off stage or going on! My youngest did used to say it was always disorganised backstage (different dance and drama schools) and now I can see what she meant!

I often wonder about the performance side. I often hear of shy people changing when adopting a character on stage and losing all inhibitions. I'm shy off stage..until I know somebody very well and can't imagine "flicking the switch" when I go on stage - is there a secret? :D

This may sound a bit confused, but here goes. The end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012 were the worst time of my life. I got through it with the help of my immediate family and a few dear Facebook friends. I re-evaluated my life. I lost a lot of weight, went back to ballet, wrote a novel and made several other decisions about my life. When Mary asked me to do the show, I thought it would be fun. It was but was also hard work. However I have changed a lot from various experiences and I no longer waste time worrying over what might happen or things I cannot change. When the time came for the show, all I wanted was not to let myself down, or my teacher and class mates. I was a bit restless before I went on, but when I did,there was too much to do to be nervous or scared and people mainly want you to do well. Yesterday was about belonging and pleasing others but also joy in doing something well and making others happy too. If I know what I am doing and am well prepared, I can do it. It is that simple.

• Like 10

Totally agree Fiz, I also decided it's not worth worrying about things until it happens in the past I spent far too much time worrying about things that didn't happen. My dentist notice the difference as I'm not grinding my teeth so much now. 

Well done on your performances. I'm quite jealous. 

• Like 1

Thank you, Kathy. My previous dance school would not let adults dance on stage. The adult class collapsed and I changed schools. The owners expects adults to be in the show and we go on first at the walk down, too :)

Very well done Fiz, I really mean that, I am so so envious.

I don’t loose my “L” plates until my performance in July.

I really don’t know why JB is so worried, if everything else fail, I’m bound to make her look good, as she is far more advanced than me and I’m at LAB too. It will be fantastic, hope its Swan Lake we are doing.

• Like 2

This is what Tom has said

Although the rep for the Summer Intensive hasn't been finalised yet we will definitely be looking at a large scale corps de ballet section from one of the big classics… so it's likely to be Tchaikovsky! (although not guaranteed!)

I'll definitely be asking people to bring wrap around rehearsal skirts and I may suggest that practice tutus would be a good idea but I won't a make it mandatory as I know that the expense can be a little much for some… I promise that I'll get an information pack out to everyone as soon as the participants are confirmed. The course is now almost full so I hope that will be within the next few weeks…

Tom Linecar - Boulton

Artistic Director & Founder

London Amateur Ballet

Hope this helps, its still worth trying, if I can find the application form I will email it to you.

PS Cost £295 but if payed early you save £20, booking deposit I think was £50, I have emailed you the application pack too.

Michelle x

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 2

Just a thought for you adult dancers out there - have you looked at attending MOVEIT in London - this years dates are 8-10 March.  Aswell as being able to watch performances on the stages and visit/shop at the ehibitor stands, there are classes on all day every day in a variety of dance styles and at various levels.  These include ballet, jazz, lyrical, contemporay as well as lindyhop, African etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for emailing me :) We really need a holiday this year and sadly I can't justify spending so much money on myself, especially when train fares and petrol is so expensive :( Maybe next year :)

Sorry to hear that Fiz, I was looking forward to meeting you.

Yes its not just the cost of the course, its only half of it if that, its the accomodation too. I think I will be stopping at the Ibis which is one of the lower cost options and within walking distance of the Lanterns Theatre. Im fortunite is some ways as I only have myself to look after, but there are times when I miss my partner too, but I try not to think about that as its emotionally a big deep black hole.

Look forward to seeing you there next year if they still let me go, ha ha ha.x

Very well done Fiz, I really mean that, I am so so envious.

I don’t loose my “L” plates until my performance in July.

I really don’t know why JB is so worried, if everything else fail, I’m bound to make her look good, as she is far more advanced than me and I’m at LAB too. It will be fantastic, hope its Swan Lake we are doing.

Very well done Fiz - I am in awe! Such a wonderful achievement :)

You have inspired me to be more determined than ever to make the most of the LAB opportunity and try to come out of my shell - but I know I'll end up hiding at the back with my brain not transferring the steps to my feet until about two days later, when I shout "got it!" only to look up and realise I'm in the kitchen and the show is over :D I blame my height - the thoughts have further to travel brain to toe...

And yes Move-it is a great day out - I've been a few times as an adult amateur dancer on my own and with young daughter many years ago. Great chance to try out other dance styles. I remember joining in with a Bolywood class (at the back!) and being amazed that I'd found another style of dance that I liked - very unexpected!

This year we will have a small stand there - number 543, just down from Bloch and about 1/20th of the size of Dance Direct!! But we will squeeze our passion, tutus and leos into that tiny box and welcome all ballet co members!! Maybe we should set up a secret handshake ;)

• Like 3

Tonight class has turned out to be very frustrating, we have added quite a lot to our show sequence, far more than I can remember in one hour long session. The last sequence before the half term break I videoed, that was invaluable and has allowed me to practice thru many repetitions the sequence, so I’m now extremely familiar with it. According to my teacher the authorities, not sure who they are have put a ban on videoing class work, even thou it only ever contained my teachers demonstration.

For me this is like being asked to do a job without the tools to do it. I don’t just want to dance this sequence; I want to dance it really well especially as my position is also one of the nearest to the audience in our formation.

As soon as I got home, I wrote down what I could remember, but it has a lot of holes in it. Fragmented sequences lead to errors or misinterpretation which has to be un-learned in terms of muscle memory developed over several iterations of practice off site. This is very inefficient and certainly not the way I want to work.

I would rather choreograph my own sequence and dance it solo, at least I would fully understand what I was doing and would have the opportunity to polish it.

Needless to say I am very disgruntled even furious with this type of antiquated culture. There is no risk of me wanting to publish such video training material on Youtube etc, in any case a simple solution to this is a non-disclosure agreement which is used by companies all the time to protect their products and technology.

Hi Fiz

Yes it is a great loss, today my day ballet class is on half term, I have had one of the girls round for some practice in my studio this morning, but she has now gone home, the studio is lovely and warm and ideal to go though the next section of the show sequence, but what I have committed to memory really is not worth it, as I will be adding loads of corrections in later and unlearning muscle memory.

My argument is, that I want to do as close as possible right first time, it’s far more efficient, and corrections take place early on before muscle memory is fully developed. Otherwise their bumbling methodology wastes everyone’s time unnecessarily including my own and that is unacceptable.

I am really hacked off at the moment; something I was very enthusiastic about has suddenly turned bad, unless thing change I cant see me staying for long, I’m not a bumbler.

Ah well, its Ballet class at Peterborough tonight, hopefully that will chear me up.

• Like 1