Time to say goodbye and take a step back

2dancersmum

I've been a member of this forum and its predecessor for quite a few years but think the time is now right to take a step back.

DD1 is still dancing - she has been working continuously since graduating 3 years ago - but not as a ballet dancer with a company. She has been seeing the world on cruise ships and dancing all styles - ballet, contemporary, jazz, street, MT. Most of the advice I received for her vocational journey (post 16) came from the previous forum and much has changed since then - courses, funding etc . But a huge thank you to all who helped me then and since. She has only happy memories and loads of friends from her 3 years doing the diploma and she loves what she does now so one very happy DD.

DD2 had a change of heart re ballet, first deciding she would wait til she was 18 to apply anywhere and then deciding on university to study science (biology) and providing all goes well with A levels that is what she will be doing in September. She still loves her ballet and dance in general and checked out every university to make sure she could continue dance there but a performing career is just not for her.  She actually left her ballet school in early March after taking her last exam with them. Yesterday she finally got her results - don't know what the problem was with RAD exams in March but hopefully other people with 'missing' results will now be hearing.

I will still pop in on the forum from time to time and am happy to answer any questions on my DDs journeys but for now it is time to say thank you to you all as I bow out of 'doing dance' and wish you and all your DC well on their journeys.

• Like 7

I’m thrilled to hear both daughters are happy, that’s the best news to read. I’m sure there will be plenty of dancing opportunities through the University and wish you all lots more happiness in the future 

Oh 2dancersmum, I am sorry you're leaving us - you always give such good advice.  ❤️ Your choice of course, but I would hate anyone to feel that Doing Dance is mainly for parents of Vocational/Full time students and that if our children are no longer dancing full time, we have nothing to offer.   Not only are all welcome here, but it's invaluable to hear the experiences of both parents of professional dancers AND those whose children couldn't or didn't pursue (or continue) a dance career.   

My own daughter's relationship with ballet has had its ups and downs over the years and because of the "downs", Doing Dance can be a painful place to be at times.  I completely understand that and understand why people need to have a break from the forum, whether that be short, long or permanent.  But I genuinely think that everyone here has such valuable experience of the dance world to offer, regardless of whether it's ended with a dance career or not.   

So to our longstanding Doing Dance members who are considering leaving us, if you need a break, enjoy it - but please check in from time to time with your wonderful advice and your years of experience.  

• Like 12

It’s great to hear how your Dd is doing. I remember you posting about her starting her diploma & then watching her in JE’s ballet quartet piece. (She’s retiring by the way). My dd is about to start her US adventure & although her dream is to be in a West End Show she would also love the kind of life your Dd is living. 

All the best to you & your dd’s & please do pop back. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear your daughters are both doing well and enjoying life. Cruise ships can be a wonderful way for dancers to gain employment whilst seeing the world. An added bonus is not having to pay for food/rent etc.  My daughter had a great time working onboard for 7 years and afterwards did the 3 month intensive professional dancers teaching diploma at the RAD.  She now works as a freelance teacher and has more work offers than she can manage. At the end of February she opened her own school which is gradually gaining students. Good luck to you all for the future and I hope you pop back frequently as I've always enjoyed reading your posts. You always talk a lot of sense and give excellent advice.

• Like 4

On 10/06/2018 at 17:35, Anna C said:

Oh 2dancersmum, I am sorry you're leaving us - you always give such good advice.  ❤️ Your choice of course, but I would hate anyone to feel that Doing Dance is mainly for parents of Vocational/Full time students and that if our children are no longer dancing full time, we have nothing to offer.   Not only are all welcome here, but it's invaluable to hear the experiences of both parents of professional dancers AND those whose children couldn't or didn't pursue (or continue) a dance career.   

I'd echo this. Look at me - I've been on the forum for about 16 or 17 years and I'm still here after my son gave up professional dance nearly 3 years ago!

• Like 9