House deeds

Pups_mum

I am shortly due to pay my last mortgage instalment (hurrah!) and it's just occurred to me that I will need to store the deeds somewhere. I'd always assumed I'd get a safety deposit box at the bank as that's what I remember my mum and dad having. However, I've read that most banks no longer offer this service, and that those that do charge quite a lot. Can any  knowledgeable people advise on possible options please?

You don't need (or I think get) house deeds these days as all properties have had to be registered with the Land Registry since the 1980s.

When I got my home a couple of years ago it hadn't previously been registered (common where the house hasn't changed hands since before the rules changed).  You get a piece of paper with your registration details and that is it!

As it happens the solicitors I used to process my registration hold my old fashioned deeds and will do so FOC for 15 years at which point (or any time before) I can have them back or they will be destroyed.

• Like 1

Like Janet for the land we have purchased in last 2 decades we just have a basic piece of paper from land registry with a plan and certificate number. 

We were given the old deeds of a Victorian house we owned on the 80s. They were an interesting read and we left with the property when we sold. 

This is where being a lawyer comes in handy.

Assuming we're talking about property in England or Wales, the land will be either registered or unregistered.  If it's residential property, it's highly unlikely to be unregistered (unless it's a leasehold interest that's less than 7 years) as registration began in the 1920s and it's a requirement to register when the property is transferred (e.g. sold, gifted, inherited).

Title deeds only relate to unregistered property - they are evidence of title and should be kept safe.

The law changed for registered property about 15 years ago.  Prior to that, there was a land certificate for registered property (and, if the property was mortgaged, a charge certificate).  These documents were important they were evidence of title or mortgage.  However, the current position is that the register itself is evidence of title so the land certificate is just another piece of paper and means nothing.

• Like 3

When I finished paying my mortgage with Nationwide,  I left a small outstanding balance on the mortgage, which I'd always been told meant that the building society would keep everything free of charge.

This seemed to be ok for 4 years, and then suddenly I received all the relevant deeds through the post, saying they were no longer keeping them.  No explanation, and it came completely out of the blue.  They have been sitting in my filing cabinet ever since, while I try to figure out what to do with them.