Semperoper Dresden Ballet coming to London

Semperoper Dresden Ballet is to give performances in London, 21-23 June this year.

The linked page is rather confusing that Royal Albert Hall is referred as the venue, but I can see Sadler’s Wells Theatre mentioned on the top.

The latter seems more suitable if they bring In the Middle Somewhat Elevated by W Forsythe.

https://www.semperoper.de/en/whats-on/schedule/stid/guestperformance-london/61190.html#a_26195

• Like 4

1 hour ago, aileen said:

Sometimes Sadler's Wells sells tickets for other venues eg the Coliseum. I think that this happened with Ivan Putrov's and Sergei Polunin's recent programmes.

Yes, Aileen, I remembered that the tickets were sold via SWT site for Carlos Acosta's last RAH show.

And as you pointed out SWT often collaborates with Coli.

30 minutes ago, Geoff said:

The programme has been garbled by whoever at Semperoper did the translation. Here is the original, which makes clear what the three works being presented are:

https://www.semperoper.de/spielplan/stuecke/stid/guestperformance-london/61190.html#a_26195

The original language clarifies the works.

Thank you Geoff.

11 hours ago, Geoff said:

The programme has been garbled by whoever at Semperoper did the translation. Here is the original, which makes clear what the three works being presented are:

https://www.semperoper.de/spielplan/stuecke/stid/guestperformance-london/61190.html#a_26195

But for whatever reason that link doesn't work now. Try this one:

https://www.semperoper.de/spielplan/stuecke/stid/gastpiel-london/61190.html#a_26195

It's a very large venue to fill (obviously!). Sadler's Wells would be a more obvious choice for a modern programme and I wonder why the company is not going there. Presumably, they couldn't find suitable dates. In the Middle Somewhat Elevated was performed at the Wells last year by ENB and the company had also performed it there a couple of years earlier. Perhaps that was also a factor in the choice of venue.

2 hours ago, aileen said:

It's a very large venue to fill (obviously!). Sadler's Wells would be a more obvious choice for a modern programme and I wonder why the company is not going there. 

Well, given the dodgy quality of the Semperoper website (see my previous posts above) I think this could be a mistake and actually they may be going to Sadler's Wells after all. Nothing on the Wells or the Albert Hall websites at present, so this is just a (totally uninformed) guess!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alison said:

But it clearly says Sadler's Wells on the website, in either language :confused:

Others have been confused by it also saying the Albert Hall...on the same pages (bottom right)!

Edited by Geoff

14 minutes ago, alison said:

Me among them :)  But the main announcement definitely says Sadler's Wells.  Unless they've changed it since I last looked.

Not sure what you are saying Alison. If you might like actually to look at the relevant webpages, rather than just relying on your (faulty) memory, they both clearly say Sadlers Wells but the same pages also say, respectively:

* Venue Royal Albert Hall, London

*   Veranstaltungsort, Royal Albert Hall, London

This confusion was pointed out by Yumiko a day ago and, just because you haven't looked at the pages carefully enough yourself, does not mean there is not a muddle. As I wrote, I suspect you will turn out to be right, in that the shows will probably be at Sadlers Wells, but Yumiko was also not wrong in her original observation that the website is confusing. All clear now?

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Whatever the venue, I wonder whether Miss Hamilton will be guesting

That exact thought occurred to me too given that she has danced their Swan Lake. 

Edited to say that I wrongly mistook the post by Beryl H to think that they were bringing Swan Lake .

i still think it would be lovely very if she were to appear with them.

Edited by Odyssey

9 hours ago, Beryl H said:

What a lot of ballet in June, Swan Lake at the ROH, Sleeping Beauty at the Coliseum 6-16th, BRB at SW 12-16th, and now another Company which at least doesn't clash at 21-23rd June!

These all fit perfectly .... and you can even dash to Paris for the Robbins Festival with ENB, NYCB, PNB and MCB which runs 25th through 30th June.  A Fantastic Month ... and perfectly swayed for the avid balletomane.  

On 1/3/2018 at 14:24, Geoff said:

Not sure what you are saying Alison. If you might like actually to look at the relevant webpages, rather than just relying on your (faulty) memory, they both clearly say Sadlers Wells but the same pages also say, respectively:

* Venue Royal Albert Hall, London

*   Veranstaltungsort, Royal Albert Hall, London

This confusion was pointed out by Yumiko a day ago and, just because you haven't looked at the pages carefully enough yourself, does not mean there is not a muddle. As I wrote, I suspect you will turn out to be right, in that the shows will probably be at Sadlers Wells, but Yumiko was also not wrong in her original observation that the website is confusing. All clear now?

There is nothing faulty about my memory, Geoff: the website says

"Guest Performance of the Semperoper Ballet in London

Sadler’s Wells Theater, London, UK"

I would take that bit over the obviously erroneous "Royal Albert Hall" on the right, especially since we are aware what the works are like, what the venues are like and that it's a virtual impossibility that anyone would ever put that programme on at the RAH.  But I can't see that the translator has done anything wrong: flipping between the two pages, the content looks pretty much the same to me.