Neoclassical ballet

straceydor

I’m no expert, but my understanding is that neoclassical is a touch more modern than your traditional tutu stuff, ballet with a touch of contemporary thrown in. Have a look at Rambert, RCS (degree in Modern Ballet), and maybe Chantry. 

Given that some of the contemporary dance  degrees   require  significant  study of  ballet pre-entry and ballet remains a big part of their  practical syllabusses  it's perhaps more about which  purely classical  upperschools/ degrees to avoid in favour of  upper schools / degrees  associated with  companies  that have a more  neoclassical / unconventional  rep. 

• Like 1

Must admit Chantry was my first thought - I think a lot of their work is very much this style, I guess a nice fusion of the artistic directors' backgrounds.  RCS less so,  I may be wrong but believe although the degree is called Modern Ballet, the ballet taught is predominantly classical.  

• Like 1

I would say neo-classical is a choreographic style rather than a technique to be taught.  It  has been used by people such as Balanchine, Béjart, Roland Petit, Macmillan and even Ashton (to mention some famous choreographers).  Usually still on pointe for girls, it will incorporate movements not strictly from the classical schools of training.  However, a strong classical base is necessary to be able to dance this.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I would say neo-classical is a choreographic style rather than a technique to be taught. 

This!

In ballet history terms, we could start with Ballet Russe, who took Russian style (which was actually French and Italian!) and deconstructed it then reconstructed it, along with the music.

Then Balanchine. William Forsyth as well. But it's not a fixed school or technique. Also, have a look at Twyla Tharp's In the Upper Room (one of my favourite ever pieces) - mixes jazz, contemporary and ballet in what you could call 'neoclassical' style. Women on pointe and in sneakers (cf Sally Banes' wonderful book, Terpsichore in Sneakers).

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1