Auditions for Matilda

dramascientist

I don't know if anybody is interested but I saw an advert for auditions for children in Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre in London. Closing date 23rd March. For further details and an application form email Jessica Ronane, Children's Casting Director at matilda@jessicaronane.com. DD too old and tall but others on here may be suitable.

Good luck

DRSC

• Like 3

The criteria for Matilda is incredibly strict.

HOW OLD DO I HAVE TO BE TO AUDITION?

We will audition children for the role of Matilda who are aged 8 to 12 and under 4ft 3. Her classmates need to be aged 8 to 13 and under 4ft 10” tall with brilliant dancing and singing skills! Boys must have unbroken voices.

Edited by theother51

And girls can't be physically 'developed' either. They are really strict about all the rules/requirements. DD1 was disappointed a few years ago when she wanted to audition for The Sound of Music - too tall and too developed at 11 for a child role but not old enough for Liesl ????

• Like 1

They're massively strict. My DD was seen just before her 9th birthday and she was 3'9 , she got through first couple of rounds but they thought too young. They've kept in touch every 6 months or so to check on height. She was asked to be seen this month but since Christmas has grown so just over 4'3, I let the casting team know and they've said she's too tall now. It's a tough audition process too,casting team are lovely though.

We never tried in the end but this was a summary of the guidance that came out in 2015 and I guess would still stand:

"The criteria is very strict and if you do not fit it then you will not be called in. Please do not expect a response for general enquiries or if you are too old or tall for the roles.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

We prioritise oldest girls for role of Matilda and not all eight year olds will necessarily be seen BUT will be kept on file for future.

We prioritise dance ability and proximity to London for ensemble boys and girls. They also need to be VERY strong singers too. Height restrictions are non-negotiable as is age restriction.

We also prioritise seeing new children. If you have auditioned for us in the past then you will probably not been seen again UNLESS we have specifically said we will call you back in.

A reminder of the criteria –

If your child is not a Matilda possible (under 4ft 3 and a strong singer/actress) or a Bruce possible (under 5ft and amazing singer and good dancer with bags of character) then they will be auditioning for the ensemble roles and will have to be a strong dancer, singer and actor, under 4ft10 and aged 8 - 13, living within the M25. The audition routine is HARD so do not send your child to do this ‘for the experience or for fun’. It is not fun for them in these auditions if they do not have the skills required. The audition will include being taken through one of the routines from the show, they will also need to bring a song to perform acapella (one verse and chorus) and a short poem or monologue to perform.

May I draw your attention to the following;

All children must be available for the entire rehearsal and performance period, and no holidays will be allowed during the contracted period. Parents must be able to bring their child into all rehearsals and performances so do check trains and your travel route to ensure you would certainly be able to do so. We would consider helping MATILDA'S or BRUCE'S depending on circumstances.

We anticipate a cast change every 6 months so there will be on-going opportunity for the younger children.

Anyone over the age of 13 will not be considered for these roles and you will probably not get a response – we are too busy!"

All these child roles need tiny children. My friends son has just been Gavroche in Les Mis, he is a tiny 10 year old, came onto that massive stage and looked 6! My son was too tall for Billy Elliott by the time he was 10 yet there can be boys of 13 playing the role. The children have to look like children against the adult cast and they need maturity to withstand the pressure placed on them to carry such huge roles in an adult environment.

• Like 2

This year they are asking for Grade 4 dance standard - doesn't specify a particular genre, but they have asked for a list of completed grades.

They're super-strict on height for most of the WE roles - the lady who runs the auditions for Little Cosette in Les Mis has a measuring stick with her to check!

My DD is almost 8 and is 123cm so just over 4 feet (and she sees the endocrinologists because of growth delay!) so they really are tiny - they're looking for well under the average height for age given they want the older ones for Matilda.

• Like 1

I had a look at the growth charts out of interest and for a just turned 11 year old you'd have to be on or under the 2nd centile, so 2 out of 100 girls. Given the popularity I expect there are a fair number who apply and meet the height criteria I guess. Good luck to your daughter mummy twinkle toes!

• Like 1

They do see a lot of kids so it surprising to see so many tiny girls. My DD is smallest in her year group at school.she quite enjoyed the auditions as she is quite self conscious about her height, it was great to see so many girls her size. The casting team do seem to prefer older girls as they still have to be mature enough to cope with the role. At first audition my DD was 8 and she said herself she didn't think she would have been able to manage it.

Edited by Sarah2203

• 1 month later...

Currently Jessica Ronan (casting director) runs auditions for ensemble roles (Hortensia, Amanda, Lavender etc) and the dates for the first round are 28.04, 03.05, 07.05. Recalls will be on 13.05 and the finals will be on 20.05

My 9yo recently compared herself to an Ashton's style lyrical ballerina :).  

However, she always loved all Dahl's books and was lucky to see the Matilda musical, she is thrilled to be invited for this audition.  

She is 4 ft 9' and height restriction for ensemble roles is 4 ft10. 

For a few days now I've been watching her following wild street dance routines she found on YouTube.

There are so many children applying. Good luck to all auditioning.