I'm returning to ballet!

daintyflower

I started ballet at 12, and was en pointe by 13. By 15 I had to stop due to anorexia, and I'm now coming up 19 (recovered), and I haven't really danced properly since (aside from a few classes here and there). I've recently contacted my old dance school, and my teacher is placing me in an advanced adult class where they're currently doing RAD Advanced 1. Its a recreational class and I of course know that I could never pursue a career in dance, just doing it because I enjoy it! Does anyone have any advice?  

• Like 3

Enjoy it!

Take it easy at first though - it's very easy to overdo things initially if you'd reached a reasonable level before. Your body will remember how to do things that your muscles and joints mighn't be strong enough to maintain. A couple of weeks work should sort you out again though.

• Like 2

Do it because you enjoy it! That is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING about ballet as an activity (as opposed to a profession). It doesn't matter what grade, when you went on pointe, how high your leg is. If you enjoy it, and do it for that moment-by-moment pleasure of dancing.

And for you, in recovery from a serious illness, that is even MORE important. Just enjoy yourself.

But, starting back after a break of a few years there are some physical things to be aware of: for the first few weeks, stay well within your physical limits. Use this as a way of really cementing in your alignment & turn out - see it as a chance almost to start again. 

I found that coming back after a break I wanted to keep legs low etc, so that I could really work with my turn out & keeping the pelvis neutral etc etc - if you go for the high legs or multiple turns etc at this point you lose a wonderful opportunity to work low and very very clean in your technique. 

Try to do some sort of conditioning either a couple of days before or - more importantly - a couple of days after your first class back. I always find it's not the day after, but the day after that, when my legs hurt the most! A long walk, yoga, or Pilates, or a swim would be good. 

Welcome to the adult ballet world - it's a very welcoming and non-competitive one. The world of the true amateur - that is, we do it for love (amas) and sheer pleasure.

• Like 3

Yes ! Just enjoy it ! Your muscle memory will kick in pretty soon ! Be patient with yourself, enjoy your strengths and don't worry about your weak points. Take it at your own pace for the time being. Do a well placed releve instead of a pirouette (for example) a single frappe instead of a double....And don't forget that you're taking class because you want to and not because you have to. Welcome back ! x

• Like 2

Don't attempt too much too soon, don't compare yourself to anyone else, don't be too self critical and enjoy it!

Coming back to any activity after a break can be a bit frustrating as there's a tendency to expect too much of oneself as you used to be able to do it.My husband has taken the piano up again after many years and I know he gets really annoyed with how much harder it is now than when he was young. And I've recently got back into cycling after about 25 years off the bike - a big shock to the system! Obviously you are still young, and it's not been such a long break, but you have been seriously ill so both your body and mind need time to adapt. Listen to your body and if you feel that the level your teacher has put you back in at it too tough, don't be afraid to ask to move down a class until you get back into the swing of things. Enjoy it and work at a level that is not too taxing either physically or mentally and move on at your own pace.

And most of all, have fun.

• Like 2

Hello Daintyflower and welcome to the Forum!

Great news that you are getting back to ballet.  Please let us know how you get on!

We've got adult ballet members here and there are a couple of threads that may be of interest to you, if you look around the Forum.

• Like 1

I think pups_ mums advice is very good .....see how you go and if you should feel you need an easier class for a while then do tell the teacher or maybe you can take an easier class as well as the Advanced one. Take it easy at first so you don't get injured.......easy to do if a bit out of condition etc.

In all you have been dancing just for three years up till now....so RAD Advanced one does seem quite strong to begin with if it's a strict RAD class etc.....though the teacher there should know you .....does she fully understand that you've been away for four years though?

Usually with younger people they can get back into things much quicker than an older person or someone who has had a longer gap

But do look after your health ......it is very easy to become a bit obsessed with ballet ......" just one more class and I will be able to get perfect" ....sort of syndrome!!

I don't know where you live but eventually you may be able to seek out some workshops or belong to an amateur group which will give you an opportunity to learn some choreography and even do some performing which can be very satisfying.

Hope you enjoy your ballet again and good luck!!

Fantastic news! Good to hear that you are ready to take on your passion again. While I have 2 DD's I don't pretend to know much about dancing. However, I can talk from the perspective of traditional Chinese martial arts, so here we go.....

Be patient and kind to yourself. It's unrealistic to think that you can continue where you left off, and it is easy to get into a cycle of self punishment. Be kind to yourself, and trust the process to deliver - in time. 

Make restoring flexibility your first priority. It is the underpinning of your ability to avoid injury. Next comes strength. Without strength, you put more pressure on your skeletal system for support. Work up gently. Listen to your body. Kate_N's ideas about swimming, Yoga, Pilates etc, are great. When Daley Thompson was returning from injury to get to the Olympic Games, he spent a lot of time in the swimming pool. It's a great place to put gentle resistance on your body to build up strength.

Make sure you're still enjoying it, and not trying to recapture a carefree time when you were a different person. Because as we grow, we change, and it is our trials and suffering that adjusts our values and makes us who we are.

Finally, I admire your strength and courage to recover from a serious illness. Go for it. 

• Like 12