New Year's Honours 2017

Searching the list I have found the following:

Luke Rittner, CE RAD awarded CBE

Caroline Miller, Lately Director Dance UK awarded OBE

Catherine Caskie Khan, Scottish Wheelchair Dance Association awarded MBE

Beverly Glean, AD IRIE Dance Theatre awarded MBE

Sunita Golvala awarded MBE for services to South Asian Dance

Kenrick Sandy, dancer & choreographer awarded MBE

Denise De Wet awarded BEM for services to dance and the voluntary sector in Staffordshire

Avril Froma Hitman awarded BEM for services to People with Learning Disabilities in Bromley through Dance and Arts 

Congratulations to all the awardees.

I'm also thrilled to see that Mo Farah and Bryn Terfel have been knighted.

• Like 3

Congratulations to all these recipients . For the past few years I have been hoping to hear that David Bintley has been knighted- - it would be a fitting recognition for all he has achieved. Hopefully it will come soon.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 8

I say this every year. It is now over 20 years since Sir Peter Wright was given this very much deserved recognition but BRB artists and staff seem to get left way behind the RB when honours are being considered. Mary Clarke used to make this point from time to time.

• Like 4

Surely a DAME Marion Tait too might not go amiss  :)  were they ever to go in for a BRB seasonal matching pair.  

That said surely the true reward is - as ever - IN the job.  

Still, it is nice to be recognised ... even if it is with an Order for something that no longer exists (which the above mentioned already has two to bookend with).  

You can bet your bottoming pound that a DAME Darcey Bussell (to take nothing away from the dear lady) will be approaching any minute now.  The BBC has practically willed it so and heaven knows their Trust has rarely been short of patronage.  (And I say that with additional and sincere thanks for what surely must have been the best Xmas in YEARS for dance/ballet awareness/product.)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

The answer could be in our hands!

Some years ago I was asked to write a supporting letter for an individual being nominated so I looked up the process.  Individuals are nominated for awards and supporting evidence has to be provided.

We could nominate both David Bintley and Marion Tait - it doesn't have to be someone from BRB who initiates the nomination!

• Like 9

It will be a bit galling if Kevin O'Hare gets his knighthood first. I have absolutely nothing against Kevin and am very confident he will be very well deserving of the honour but it tends to go with the job at the RB whereas BRB (and NBT) tend to get overlooked.

You are right about Darcey. It is only a matter of time and honours receipiants do seem to be getting younger these days.

• Like 2

The answer could be in our hands!

Some years ago I was asked to write a supporting letter for an individual being nominated so I looked up the process.  Individuals are nominated for awards and supporting evidence has to be provided.

We could nominate both David Bintley and Marion Tait - it doesn't have to be someone from BRB who initiates the nomination!

This thought has occurred to me; but I spent ages earlier this year doing a nomination for someone I know - it's quite a long form and you need back-up material etc - and it was surprisingly difficult to get even the two supporting letters that have to go with it (not because people didn't want to support the nomination - just because people in general seem to be hesitant (or feeble!) about actually writing a letter nowadays). (And I was also disappointed that he's not in the NYH either! Maybe he'll get into the next Birthday Honours. Apparently it can take 1-2 years post nomination even if they do get an honour.) But Bintley is such an obvious candidate that he must surely be in the sightlines of those who decide on the honours - for some reason he just hasn't reached the top yet, so I'm not sure that being nominated would make a difference. It's not as if they don't know who he is, which I assume is the case with most nominations from the public.

BUT P.S. I would happily do a letter supporting a Bintley nomination if wanted! (I would fully support a Tait nomination too.)

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 2

I may be being a tad cynical, but I think when it comes to a Knighthood a few well intended letters of support are unlikely to cut much ice. If there's some well connected people who read/subscribe to this forum perhaps a bit of lobbying in the right place would active far more.

• Like 5

I do so agree with Bruce about Marion. Decades of total, single minded devotion to one company.

Yes, I'm actually beginning to get very fed up about this. Especially in this year of BRB anniversaries it would have the obvious time to give David Bintley a knighthood. I just hope it happens soon.

Congratulations to all these recipients . For the past few years I have been hoping to hear that David Bintley has been knighted- - it would be a fitting recognition for all he has achieved. Hopefully it will come soon.

I say this every year. It is now over 20 years since Sir Peter Wright was given this very much deserved recognition but BRB artists and staff seem to get left way behind the RB when honours are being considered. Mary Clarke used to make this point from time to time. 

I search the lists every December and June and so agree with the feelings above. Can't we get the ball rolling? If it is not already

While we are the subject, I have wondered over the years why Lynn Seymour was never made a Dame. I suppose the argument will be that she has never been head of the School or the RAD. No one could ever say she wasn't an outstanding ballerina and the inspiration for some of the best work by both Ashton and Macmillan.

Given that she is Canadian there cannot be any nationality issues.

• Like 2