Young Dancers Academy Associates

My daughter has got a place on the Associates course starting in September. We have had to leave our current dance school as their lessons are only on a Saturday. I have told our dance school we are leaving & they said they had never even heard of YDA & they don't think it will be as good as I am hoping! Daughter got SWL for Royal this year she is 9 she really just wants to pursue ballet. I have found a local ballet teacher who can teach my daughter in the week & seems lovely. Feel bad leaving her current school & now  they have said they actually have a ballet class in the week which is for Grade 3 plus but my daughter has only done Grade 1. also they offer Contemporary & Jazz which they want her to do so she can do YDA & stay. The other ballet lady I have found teaches a Russian method is an examiner & seems excellent quite old school but gets good results & girls seem to like her. Feel sad, awkward to be leaving our current school but feel if my daughter just wants to do ballet then YDA would be great for her. Anyone got any experience suggestions????

• Like 1

YDA's full time course has an excellent reputation and they have a very good record for getting their Yr 11s into great upper schools. I am sure the Associate Scheme is similarly good.

I've added the tag "YDA" under the thread title, so if you click on that, all the other threads about YDA and YDA associates will be listed. There are quite a few threads so hopefully you will find them helpful. :-)

• Like 1

Presumably you weren't 100% sure of the current teacher or you wouldn't be leaving! Feeling guilty isn't a reason to stay, looking at it from the current teachers perspective I can see why they would be a little upset as you are choosing the associates over their class but you've got to do what you feel is best for your daughter, it will soon be forgotten.

• Like 2

I think they obviously would like daughter to stay. She does ballet,tap & modern there.But has just realised ballet is what she wants to focus on.She did an EYB audition & got some feedback that her technique could do with improving. So I found another ballet teacher & she did some extra lessons with her & its really helped.So now she has got the YDA place she just wants to stick with ballet with other teacher. Her current school has lovely teachers, is lots of fun, does great shows etc girls are lovely but just not sure daughter is progressing in ballet.But has done loads since being with other teaxher,just feel such a traitor as a close friend works at current school.But DD has probably unrealistic dreams of going to white lodge one day!!along with thousands or other people.Since she got SWL at RBS she seems more determined than ever so feel I have to give her best chance I suppose. I did not tell current school about seeing other teacher so now feel a bit guilty I suppose. I did ask current school for extra lessons before RBS audition but they said she did not need them as they are looking for potential.But at the EYB audition I saw how under prepared my DD was compared to others.1 ballet class a week did not seem to cut it!!! sorry for waffling on!

YDA full time vocational school has fantastic training, excellent pastoral care and their yr 11 graduates this year are going onto upper schools, Royal, ENB, Tring and Elmhurst. Not quite sure what wouldn't be seen as 'good' about that for anyone who wants to pursue a career in ballet!

The associates is excellent too. As of September the teachers for associates will be Anna du Boisson and Kerry the two directors of YDA, and Roberta Marquez, principle dancer with Royal Ballet, and Klara Houdet, Paris Opera Ballet.

• Like 3

My dd is starting the YDA associates in September. I think when given these opportunities we have to try. Listen to peoples opinions (which are all different) but I think you have to decide what is best for your girl x

Edited by Ms Sunshine

YDA is an excllent school with a first rate Associate programme which has been established for quite a few years now.  If your old teacher wasn't even aware of it, then definitely make the move.  She is not up to date.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 12