Graduate Destinations 2016

Kat09

It was public a few days ago because I found it by typing in his name and instagram in google and the post came up.

Other people on the Forum had also seen the posting and the news was included on this thread here:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/12921-royal-ballet-school-summer-performances-2016/page-2#entry179809

I suppose this is a timely lesson to everyone that what goes on the internet stays on the internet and you should not post news on social media unless you want the world to know about it!

• Like 2

alison,

Joseph  Aumeer has a short term contract for next season, he is considered as "surnuméraire" which means he is not part of the company for the moment.

He will have to compete again next year in July to eventually gain the possibility to really enter the company.

Every year some people who did not follow the Paris Opera ballet school are in the same case (getting a short term contract)  but few of them really enter the company, I think the last boy who could finally enter the POB was a boy from CNSM - Paris in 2004 !

A student from the Royal Ballet School,  Axel Alvarez,  got the same contract as Aumeer two or three years ago, he was quite often on stage but did not get a long term contract after that.

I think it will not be easy for this talented young dancer but we will see...

Joseph  Aumeer has a short term contract for next season, he is considered as "surnuméraire" which means he is not part of the company for the moment.

He will have to compete again next year in July to eventually gain the possibility to really enter the company.

POB is extraordinary! Having 'temporary' dancers compete in July affords any who are unsuccessful very little time to secure a contract elsewhere.

In contrast, it is said that the 2015/16 Aud Jebsen apprentices at the RB knew whether or not they would have a permanent contract early in the year.

On the face of it the POB contract does not seem to be any better than what he was being offered by the RB as neither guarantees a full time career with the company in question. As the POB has a new director joining it is perhaps a bigger jump into the unknown than taking up the RB apprenticeship option. Recruitment into the RB is dependent on the existence of vacancies but it is clear that Kevin will take apprentices into the company from the scheme as he has already done so. In addition on the basis of the casting decisions that he has made since 2014 it is clear that Kevin will give young talent real development opportunities.

Madame Dupont is an unknown quantity as far as the running of the POB is concerned.Some of the comments on other sites suggest that it is anticipated that she will be more "conservative" than her immediate predecessor and is attached to the company's  repertory, its traditions and its hierachy. This of course may be no more than the Paris equivalent of what happened here in the period immediately after Ross Stretton's departure. But it could mean fewer opportunities for young talented dancers early on in their careers. Only time will tell what effect Madame Dupont's directorship will have on her company. Some of her comments about knowing when dancers are "cheating" and when they are "hiding behind their technique" suggests that things may not be easy for senior dancers who she does not think are fully committed to their performances and are merely coasting.

As far as Joseph Aumeer is concerned I wish him well. Even if he does not secure a permanent contract there,a year at the POB is likely to  give him more opportunities to dance than he would get at Covent Garden and it will expose him to  dancers trained in to a very fine tradition. I assume that Kevin was fully aware that he was going to try for the POB and that his decision to go there rather than take up his Auld Jebsen apprenticeship will not prove to be a problem for him in the future. 

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 2

You are right Floss but the difference is the jury (very french).  I guess Kevin O'Hare decides to give a contract to a dancer, in Paris there is a competition and a candidate has to have enough persons for him in the jury to succeed, the artistic director is not the only one deciding.

I understand how the recruitment system works at the POB which is why I am somewhat surprised by his decision. It is one thing to try the concourse if you have not got a contract elsewhere but quite another to go if you have already got a place on the apprenticeship scheme at the RB. I hope that he knows what he is doing, after all he has no guarantee that he will get into the company at the next concourse, and he may have made things unnecessarily difficult for himself here, should he want to work in this country. However if he is going because he really loves the French school he will have a year in which he will be immersed in its style and that can't do him any harm.

She is a première danseuse (first soloist), she was really pushed forward by Benjamin Millepied (well deserved as she is a stunning dancer).

And, as said before, some women from other companies or schools could join the company and even become étoile (Pagliero) but no men since 2004.

Edited by MAX
  • Like 2

I believe that Miss O'Neill has said that she owes a great deal to Mr Millepied as far as her advancement is concerned. It will be very interesting to see whether she continues to rise through the ranks of the company or whether her advancement and her opportunities slow under the new director.  What happens to her is likely to give the earliest indication that we shall have as to just how "conservative" Madame Dupont is going to be in real life. I think that we have to remember that POB has three hundred ycompanyears of tradition to pray in aid when it is needed to justify doing things in a particular way. Mr Millepied may have been frustrated by the company's written and unwritten rules but they are that company's way of doing things and have stood it in good stead for hundreds of years. From what I have read Madame Dupont has certainly spoken in favour of upholding the company's traditions, its culture and its hierachy which suggests that there will be far greater emphasis on slow steady progress through the ranks and a lot less on giving the young and relatively inexperienced a chance to show what they can do. Striking the right balance between these two extremes is an art in itself and one that not every director masters. .

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 1

Neither of Joe's offer that are being discussed here guarantee permanent contracts and he has had offers that give him fantastic opportunities. The first year of the Aud Jebson programme two participants were offered contracts at RB at the end of the year, the others found contacts else where. This years AJ participants were all offered RB contracts but it doesn't mean any will be next year.

Joe is a mature, sensible young man who I'm sure has given a lot of thought before making his decision.

Wishing him all the best for his future and hoping I get to see him perform in Paris.

• Like 10