Graduate Destinations 2016

Kat09

So that's one to join the RB, and seven to join the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme. Any news about the other RBS students?  It looks like students who were in the Aud Jebsen Programme the previous year have also been accepted into the company, so perhaps that is becoming a bit of a pathway in, though it's not been running long. I see also that Prix de Lausanne winner Julian McKay has now left the RB after his year's apprenticeship.

• Like 3

I'm curious too!

I think RBS publish a list at their end of year performance which is on 9th July if I'm not mistaken so hopefully we will have more news then. I'm interested to know how many RBS graduates got contracts with BRB.

When do ENBS, Elmhurst and Central usually release info?

Good luck to everyone still job hunting. It's tough out there!

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the 8 young dancers who have full or 'apprentice' contracts with the Royal Ballet, the programme for the RBS performance in Holland Park lists the following destinations:

Birmingham Royal Ballet: Gabriel Anderson and Altor Galende Brizuela

American Ballet Theatre Studio Company: Kiely Groenewegan

Boston Ballet II: Gabrielle Beach

Ekaterinburg State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre: Lorenzo Silingardi

English National Ballet: Connie Vowles

Hong Kong Ballet: Nana Sakai

Northern Ballet: Lorenzo Trosello

Royal Swedish Ballet: Kaho Yanagisawa and Karl-Erik Wigle Andersson

Sarasota Ballet (Apprentice): Thomas Bradshaw

Scottish Ballet: Grace Paulley

Teatrul de Balet Sibiu: Maya Negishi and Rio Sato

Tulsa Ballet II: Simone Acri

Vienna State Opera Ballet: Scott McKenzie

I am correct in thinking that there are more 'apprentice' type contracts secured this year than previously - 11 overall, including the 7 joining the Aud Jebsen scheme. If so, it is surely an indication of how very competitive it is for new graduates seeking a job.

• Like 7

And very few 'full' contracts with the UK companies although the apprentice positions under the auspices of the Aud Jebsen programme compensate for that to some extent.

Perhaps some of them may be international students who weren't planning on staying to work in the UK anyway, and that could explain why they have contracts overseas?

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

Perhaps some of them may be international students who weren't planning on staying to work in the UK anyway, and that could explain why they have contracts overseas?

I think it is just so tough to get a contract that you take what you can get, and not many have a choice of company or country. Reports are that it has been even tougher this year, with fewer contracts than usual around. Sadly doesn't look like it has been 100% employment record this year either.

Any news on other schools? I believe it was the ENBS graduate performance yesterday and it is usually printed in their programme.

I think it is just so tough to get a contract that you take what you can get, and not many have a choice of company or country. Reports are that it has been even tougher this year, with fewer contracts than usual around. Sadly doesn't look like it has been 100% employment record this year either.

Any news on other schools? I believe it was the ENBS graduate performance yesterday and it is usually printed in their programme.

Graduate destinations not printed in the programme

• Like 1

Note that Joseph Aumeer The Royal Ballet – Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme has competed in the Paris Opera Ballet entrance audition and was ranked third place. He did not get a contract (the top 2 dancers did) but it is highly possible that he could get a temporary contract at POB. We will see which he will choose. 

On their website the Royal Ballet School are claiming a 100% employment rate for their 2016 graduates. But that isn't the case; if you compare the names of those in the third year and those who have contracts, there's one who doesn't yet, so how can they possibly claim 100% employment? I don't mean AT ALL to pick at the individual in question or indeed the school with this comment, because there are tons of reasons why that might be - they might have decided to stop dancing, or been prevented from auditioning due to injury, or simply still be on the audition circuit, I've no idea. I just find the way that they appear to be manipulating statistics here annoying, and to be honest, isn't it also misleading? Those stats work as a form of advertising for the school, after all.

• Like 1

Oh absolutely - I'm sorry, I didn't at all mean to speculate about the students themselves. If anything I'm trying to speculate about the why the school states that it's 100% employment when it isn't yet. Why not wait until the end of the audition season and THEN put that up on the website?

• Like 1

Oh absolutely - I'm sorry, I didn't at all mean to speculate about the students themselves. If anything I'm trying to speculate about the why the school states that it's 100% employment when it isn't yet. Why not wait until the end of the audition season and THEN put that up on the website?

Perhaps they know something that we don't?

ENBS have just published this list of graduate destinations on their Facebook page.

Claire Barrett Ballet de France
Ana Maria Gergely Estonian National Ballet
Katrin Kennedy Northern Ballet Graduate Programme
Charlotte Levy Washington School of Ballet
Phoebe Liggins Polish National Ballet
Miki Masaoka Compagnie Mauduit
Shiori Midorikawa National Ballet of Portugal
Sayaka Nagahiro Vanemuine Ballet, Romania
Juri Okada Ballet de France
Emily Suzuki English National Ballet
Isabella Swietlicki Ballet de France/New English Ballet Theatre 
Ann Wall Apprentice, Balletcymru
Marco Bozzato New English Ballet Theatre
Miles Carrott Northern Ballet Graduate Programme
Timothy Dutson Birmingham Royal Ballet
Ashley Hardwick Teatrul De Balet Sibiu, Romania
Drew Jackson National Ballet of Portugal
Hanno Opperman Estonian National Ballet
Valerio Palumbo Hungarian National Ballet
Dylan Price Training as a Make up Artist
Pablo Luque Romero New English Ballet Theatre
Inés Marroquín Semperoper Dresden
Riccardo Rodighiero New English Ballet Theatre

• Like 9

I am correct in thinking that there are more 'apprentice' type contracts secured this year than previously - 11 overall, including the 7 joining the Aud Jebsen scheme. If so, it is surely an indication of how very competitive it is for new graduates seeking a job.

I guess the reality is that somewhere like the RB can't carry on, financially or practically, taking on students in the sort of numbers that they have done for the last few years - at least, not unless they are going to start terminating dancers' contracts after a couple of years if they don't appear to be making a perceived grade, and I suspect that would be rather short-sighted, as dancers tend to mature at different rates.

That statement has been on their website for a while so I assume it refers to previous years.

If the new season starts and there are graduates from this year who wanted a contract but didn't get one, then maybe they will reconsider keeping it on there!

• Like 1

That statement has been on their website for a while so I assume it refers to previous years.

If the new season starts and there are graduates from this year who wanted a contract but didn't get one, then maybe they will reconsider keeping it on there!

It says on the RBS Facebook page that it is 100% employment rate for 2016 grads, the post was on 9th July.

• 2 weeks later...

Joseph Aumeer is going to POB next season !  Congratulations to him !  What a loss for RB, they should have proposed him a real contract !

I couldn't agree more - about the congratulations and the loss to the RB. He will surely flourish!

[i know that Joseph has 'announced' this on his Facebook page but has he done so 'publicly'? Just feeling a little cautious about privacy.........]

Well, I suppose that you could say that the RB has 'lost out' in not taking lots of talented dancers over the years. There just aren't enough places for all the promising graduates which it might wish to take. Some who accept contracts with other companies do make their way back to the RB after a year or two. I wonder whether the RB will continue to offer fewer full contracts to graduating students and offer apprenticeships under the auspices of the Aud Jebsen programme instead with the possibly of a full contract at the end of the year.