Exam....and school sports day.

Pups_mum

How did your dd feel her Grade 8 went, pups_mum?

Well she came out of the studio with a big smile on her face and says the examiner said some very nice things to her, so hopefully those are good signs. It was me who was getting emotional actually as obviously this will be the last ballet exam she does at her "home" studio. It only seems like yesterday that I was sitting anxiously in that same waiting room whilst she did her pre-primary and now all the grades are done. Of course it's not the end of dancing, or even of exams, but it's the end of an era and I must confess to having a litle sniffle. (Good job she was the last exam of the day so there was nobody there to see me! :rolleyes: )

• Like 4

Exam session dates are set by the exam boards. In general I stick to a summer session for practical reasons. After a long summer holiday, it can take quite a while for students to regain technique so end of Autumn term exams can be a rush, and also the children have lots on in the run up to Christmas, such as extra choir practice for carol concerts, nativity plays, school discos etc. Spring term is when the viruses hit, so most children seem to miss some classes. So in spite of sports days and school exams, I find summer works best.

• Like 1

I agree, Pas de Quatre. Summer certainly works best for my dd. Apart from her yearly illness at Christmas, there's always so much else going on. I know there are school exams in Summer but actually my dd is finding preparation for her upcoming G6 ballet a welcome change from school exams; ballet always seems to soothe her soul.

• Like 1

Getting really concerned about DD ankle now as she is in pain when she points her foot !!! I have strapped it up and told the school she is to say off it while at school I will keep her off training tonight but she has her scholars on Sunday and not to sue if I should send her but it is the second to last one she is really upset any advice !!!!!

Regarding Scholars - can I suggest that she goes but sits out and watches the class. A lot can be learned from watching, and it also means that if they learn anything new it won't be completely new to her next time.

It is standard practice in vocational schools (and probably in companies too) for injured dancers to watch class if they cannot take part.

Of course if the journey there means she has to walk a long way or be on her feet for a long time its probably best avoided.

• Like 2

If there is no dance physio in your area, I would try to find a good sports physio. If you don't have private health insurance you would probably pay around £30 for a session but the benefit is that you can often get seen very quickly.

• Like 1

I would suggest you start by asking DD's regular dance teacher, or her Scholars teacher if they can suggest a suitable physio.

If you wanted to put on the forum whereabouts in the country you are, people may have ideas, but that's entirely up to you.

If you think its possible it may be broken, take her to A&E after school today to get it X-rayed.

My dd has picked up a slight groin injury from playing football in her PE lesson at school last week and she came home with a letter to attend an G & T athletics event at another school on Thursday my gut feeling is not to let her go... She has an induction day coming up as well as her grade 5 exam followed by her intermediate foundation exam!! What are people's thoughts on this?

Thanks ;)

Cx

She can walk on it without pain it is just when she tries to extend and point it which I find strange, I think the watching advice is a fab idea !!!

Not strange at all: I've done it once or twice - soft tissue (can't remember whether ligaments or tendons) injury on the top of the foot?

• Like 1

I'd say that as she's already got an injury (even if it's apparently just a minor one) it would be better for her to rest rather than risk making it worse. But then that also means perhaps taking it easy in dance too! I know the exams aren't far off but she could still mark the exercises for at least a couple of weeks while she makes sure there's nothing more serious going on with the groin strain.

• Like 2