Audition stress - how us mums feel

balletmum20

I am beginning to feel so stressed about the audition process, it's just taking over my life, I cannot concentrate on anything else, is anyone else feeling the same, or am I going completely mad??? The first funding audition for Tring is on the 24th feb, just a few weeks away and I cannot think about anything else!!

• Like 2

It's so easy to get caught up in it all balletmum20, I was the same last year my dd auditioned at 3 schools and got to finals for all 3, I stressed and worried and thought about it constantly for months, and guess what.....she never got into any of them!! And she was perfectly fine, a little disappointed obviously, but on the whole she was fine. So all my worry had been for nothing, so this year I am a lot more relaxed about it all and I am enjoying the process more and love hearing everyone's journey on here too, but I've learnt to accept that what will be will be, and no matter how much we will it to happen, worry if it doesn't and generally stress there is nothing we can di about it! So just try to relax a little, it's in someone else's hands now an unfortunately nothing you can do will effect the outcome! Try keeping busy to help keep your mind off it and remember your dd needs to stay relaxed about it so it won't help her is moms all worked up xx

• Like 3

Oh Balletmum20, I know how you feel! I felt the same last year! I couldn't think about anything else, I couldn't sleep, concentrate.... It was really difficult! And the wait was just killing me!

My DD got 3 finals and watching other DDs at some point I thought that my DD won't get in as is not good enough comparing to others. I remember at finals at her favourite school I went for a walk after a tour around the school and I actually cried! I felt so sorry for my DD, she wanted to get in so much! Since she was 5!

Then the results came and she got in! I was in pieces for weeks after - it was so emotional! I think we parents worry much more then the children themselves - because we want what's best for them and we want to protect them from disappointment and we want their dreams to come true ..... Long list.

Now my DS wants to audition next year (actually THIS year in November it starts!) and I hope I'll be wiser, calmer, more relaxed.... I hope.

Wishing you and your DD best of luck! Try to relax a bit - it will be over soon. And as Lema says what will be will be :-)

• Like 6

Happymum I'm sure you'll be much more relaxed second time round (well first time with ds I guess) I know I have found it easier this year!! I think knowing the ropes helps, knowing where to go and what to expect etc plus I think it being for year 8 has took the pressure off a little too as we know there really is very little chance of her getting in, or much less chance than for year 7 at least!! I hope your ds has the same success as dd had in her auditions and I will keep my fingers crossed for him come audition season

We went through it all last year... one thing I found really stressful was being the one responsible for making sure that all the applications were in before the deadlines, with the right photos and fees and so on (and placating her school attendance officer because yes, she needed time off again).

The worst bit for me was actually transport co-ordinator - making sure she got to the right place on the right day at the right time! Once she was actually delivered, I found out I wasn't stressed at all during the audition itself as I'd done my 'job' so the rest was up to her (which I had no control over) and I could actually enjoy my coffee and magazine while I waited.

And - oh the relief when it all worked out ok in the end. 

Wishing everyone in the middle of it all the very best of luck this year :) Keep calm and ballet on!

• Like 13

I admire all you ballet-parents who make sure you follow up every path & opportunity for your DC's - you can sleep sound knowing you explored all avenues & that whatever the outcome, your DC's had all the love & support they could ever wish for; I am sure they will all remember & respect you for it now & long into the future! Good luck to all xx

• Like 11

This will be my 4th round of auditions , 2 lots of lower and 2 for Upper.

I dare not even think about DD getting a place , it still seems so unreal she has a final at her dream school.

My biggest problem is how to calm DDs nerves she is on the phone or texting me every day worrying about how good the other girls are going to be.

Maybe I should start a thread for some tips..

My favourite saying ,What is for you will not pass you by . I truly believe this and it is only in retrospect ,wherever your child ends up ,you realise it is or was the right outcome.

Good luck to all you Mums ......and stock up the wine fridge .!!!

Edited by HAIRBELLES
  • Like 5

You would think so but there are a lot of really good girls out there .

I am always quite amazed at the standard both in ballet and commercial dance . There must a lot excellent non vocational school across the country.

Dd broke her leg badly 18months ago and her foot is still a little stiff another concern as well.

I feel sick at the thought of opening that letter and it's weeks away.

Thanks Dancing10 I really do hope it's exciting when it comes .

This will be my 4th round of auditions , 2 lots of lower and 2 for Upper.

I dare not even think about DD getting a place , it still seems so unreal she has a final at her dream school.

My biggest problem is how to calm DDs nerves she is on the phone or texting me every day worrying about how good the other girls are going to be.

Maybe I should start a thread for some tips..

My favourite saying ,What is for you will not pass you by . I truly believe this and it is only in retrospect ,wherever your child ends up ,you realise it is or was the right outcome.

Good luck to all you Mums ......and stock up the wine fridge .!!!

I like my quotes and use that one too :) but I have a favourite for  when our DC's wobble over 'how good everyone else appear to be' , you may have come across it before, but just in case....

"compete with others will make you bitter, compete with yourself will make you better"

It works for my DDs so maybe throw that into a telephone conversation, or txt when she needs a boost!!  Keeping them positive is definitely one of the hardest parts!!

Good luck everyone, it is tough being a ballet parent, I know it is easy to say with hindsight but if you are just starting out on the journey, try not to stress too much....if you don't get the result you hope for, this forum is full of many tales of the 'No' being a 'Not yet' and if it does go your way....congratulations....but brace yourselves....appraisals and US auditions can make you wonder why you started the journey in the first place! ;)

the best bit of advice came from Hairbelles - stock up the wine fridge!!

Joking aside, try and enjoy the experience, you and your DC's will never forget it, no matter the outcome, fingers crossed for lots of good news in the coming weeks x

• Like 5

I really feel for you all.  My "Timehop" thingy on Facebook is really funny at the moment because for the last few days I've been seeing what I was writing 7 years ago when my son was auditioning for upper school places, and most days it consists of one word postings along the lines of "Aaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhh" with someone commenting underneath with "Nothing in the post again today then!".

I have no words of advice - there's no point me saying to relax and take it in your stride - I obviously didn't  :D  :D  :D   But you can do nothing to change the outcome and all you can do is wait, so get practising meditation and remember that it will all be over soon.

• Like 8

I think I hit my maximum stress levels last week when I was 10 minutes out of Euston with DD off to an audition and my husband rang to tell me that he was en route to hospital with our youngest child. Being stuck in London having missed the last train home when your youngest is in hospital with suspected appendicitis in Carlisle is a good recipe for a sleepless night! Of course I was in a lose/lose situation, as whatever I did I was going to have to let one child down, so maybe it is just as well that there were no trains as it took the decision out of my hands at least. Fortunately he was ok, but it's not a 24 hours I will be in a hurry to repeat!

From today, until Feb 21st, a combination of auditions and EYB rehearsals means that DD and I will only be spending 2 nights at home meaning that we have stress levels - high, maternal energy levels - low, bank balance - low (probably very low in fact...I haven't dared look), marital harmony - low and hopeless, unwarranted optimism, still remarkably high. March is a little better, as only one audition and EYB performances for DD, but somewhere along the way I also need to go to two piano recitals, a regional hockey tournament, at least one (or is it 2) cycling events (note to self...still need to renew son's race licence..) a parents evening and the National Schools Lego League final, all courtesy of my sons. Though I think the Lego clashes with EYB, so probably that's a job for my husband! And at some point I need to shop, cook, clean, wash, iron, and sadly, do to the job that pays for it all! I do sometimes think I must be completely off my rocker....but then somebody hugs me and says "Thanks Mummy" and it's all worthwhile. :wub:

• Like 14

Those dancing children who are fortunate enough to have parents that can support them in this way probably don't realise quite how lucky they are. As a mum in full time work with no family support this is sadly impossible for my two budding performers! Good luck to everyone auditioning and remember to enjoy the opportunities :-)

• Like 2

Empathising like mad pups_mum! I took my mother out for lunch at the weekend and she commented that I looked tired(!)so avoiding all mirrors at all costs.

The stress of auditions as a full time working mum is horrendous - booking leave to attend etc and often taking work with means that on top of the stress of managing audition forms, photos, transport, hotels and dd's dancing stuff you have to organise yourself too!

It becomes a daily challenge when they do associate or CAT schemes and you are trailing around the county (Yorkshire in my case) and adjusting working hours to suit.  No wonder my house permanently looks like a bombs dropped and there is no food in my fridge.  Thank goodness I don't have a husband or other children to worry about - that might just finish me off!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The stress continues, I cannot wait till I step of this very long rollercoaster ride! Cause I feel abit sick on it now xx let's hope it's all over the early part of this week for everyone and we can enjoy Easter and life again, cause I don't know about anyone else I need my life back again!!

• Like 5