Why are kids so mean

shygirlsmum

Gosh Lisa, that's risky. Do you know that they were definitely laughing at you? I ask because - right or wrong - they could complain to the Police under the Public Order Act.

I know teenage girls are prone to going off into fits of laughter at the most inopportune moments, and I know that girls can of course be absolutely vicious, but without absolute proof that they were laughing at you, I'm not sure it was worth calling them what you did.

• Like 2

Yes Anna they were definately laughing at me. They were all staring at me. Didn`t even try to hide the fact.

I can see how that would have been upsetting but I'm struggling to see how calling them "bitches" to their faces is any better?

I understand what you`re saying. But up until a few years ago if people had made a comment like that to me, I would probably have just put my head down and walked away. I think as I am getting older I don`t care as much what people think of me. Besides,it made me feel a whole lot better !

• Like 4

Has any one else 40+ ever been brave (or just plain foolish) enough to use the communal changing room in Primark? I have to say the open looks of horror & the giggles were awful....wish I'd been able to just hold my head high (or better still - looked great in the same clothes they were trying....but enough of fantasy.... I promise I had picked only the frumpiest offerings to try on!). I have learned the thing to do is pick up items in 2 sizes & 2 colours - take home to try on & decide then return what's no good! Guess it got me thinking how I behaved to 'old dears' when I was young & (I like to think!!) gorgeous!!!

I have not used a communal changing room since my teens, fortunately I don't think there are any local to where I live. However, I would definitely avoid.

It is a shame that most of us feel that we should avoid these situations instead of having the confidence to embrace our maturer physique.

Peanut68 is it possible that the girls were just a bit giggly and not laughing at you, both my girls ages 11 & 13 tell me I look good (I know I don't, I'm at least 3 stone overweight) I would like to think that they wouldn't make anyone feel self concious even in jest.

• Like 2

Miss Selfridge. That`s right. I remember when I was a child/teenager them being individual. Then one day my mum was buying me something. Walked in and it was just a room full of semi naked women. I was mortified. Was only about 14 I guess. Still,when in Rome and all that,but I remember they had this whole communal changing room thing going on for a few years. Must have been trendy at the time. 

I remember the Miss Selfridge store in Brighton, circa 70s/80s. It was de rigeur to shop there and the communal changing room was well populated with trendy folk admiring themselves in the mirrors. If you hadn't tried something on in there and bought something, not necessarily the same thing, you better get yourself across the street to what I think was called Plummer's in those days, as you were just so uncool.

I hated the communal set up, not just because I wasn't one of the beautiful people apparently. I just like privacy. I wouldn't use one now and if that was all that was on offer, I would go elsewhere.

• Like 2

I also hated them. I was painfully skinny as a young teenager and I found such changing rooms mortifying. I would equally dislike them now as I could stand to lose some weight since it is many months since I have had regular exercise as I have been unwell this year.

I always thought they were counterproductive: after all, you want the privacy to be able to look at yourself from all angles and decide whether or not something suits you.  If you're in a communal situation, I'd have thought people might well buy less.

• Like 1

Communal changing rooms were also slightly less than fragrant, what with the mass removing of shoes in a confined and usually already overheated space. :unsure: There was a small item in yesterday's Sunday Times about the unwelcome trend of communal or unisex lavatories in new restaurants. No waaaaay! 

• Like 2