How absurd is this?

taxi4ballet

In New Zealand too there is a strange 'no man's land' between 16 and 18. My son was having state help rehabilitating from knee surgery and his case worker told me that I didn't have to go to appointments with him as he was 17. I went anyway, as I was driving him, only to find that I had to sign his identity verification as he couldn't until he was 18. This was in the same office!

• Like 1

Yes, 16-18 is a weird time. I was livid recently to have to pay adult price for DD at a particular tourist attraction as she is 17 and chikd rates stopped at 16. Butt they wouldn't give me the student discount as she is still at school, not college or university. How on earth does that make sense? Ok, in the days when lots of people left school at 16 and started work there was probably a rationale for it, but now, when everyone is obliged to stay in education or training til 18 I think it's outrageous. Why should a 16 year old at school get child rate for things but a 17 year old in the same class have to pay full adult price........until they are 18 year old university students when they can get a discount again......madness.

• Like 3

The things my dd struggled with buying at 16 was a replacement sharp knife for the kitchen and getting paracetamol for headaches. She had to send an SOS message to her Dad for paracetamol and and hayfever tablets, and he was a bit concerned when she emailed his work with a message stating: 'thank you for the drugs;they have arrived safely!' She does have a mini nectar card on her keyring to collect points.

• Like 1

Yes, 16-18 is a weird time. I was livid recently to have to pay adult price for DD at a particular tourist attraction as she is 17 and chikd rates stopped at 16. Butt they wouldn't give me the student discount as she is still at school, not college or university. How on earth does that make sense? Ok, in the days when lots of people left school at 16 and started work there was probably a rationale for it, but now, when everyone is obliged to stay in education or training til 18 I think it's outrageous. Why should a 16 year old at school get child rate for things but a 17 year old in the same class have to pay full adult price........until they are 18 year old university students when they can get a discount again......madness.

Does your dd have a NUS discount card? You can apply for these in Year 12 and 13, providing your dd's school is listed in the "institution" dropdown list. At least then you can ask for student discount and show the card as proof that she's a student.

Knives for under 18 year olds is illegal and I can understand but you can buy paracetamol and other over the counter medicines at 16 - that's not illegal at all and my DD had no problems with it. It is the store that sometimes has an age policy on paracetamol and not the paracetamol itself that has age restrictions. I think my DD just went to Boots.

• Like 1

& on a child protection front it's hard too

16 year olds can move out (run away?) & not be returned because they are adults and can do what they like - however the parent may still be responsible for that child/persons safety unless social services will take over - which is almost impossible

• Like 1

& on a child protection front it's hard too

16 year olds can move out (run away?) & not be returned because they are adults and can do what they like - however the parent may still be responsible for that child/persons safety unless social services will take over - which is almost impossible

Absolutely. There was a tragic case close to my parents home a few years ago when a teenage girl had an accident and died whilst her parents were on holiday. She was 17, not far off 18 if I recall rightly but the parents were put through hell by social services and vilified in the press. But that young woman could have been married with children of her own, and at the time she could have had a job and lived quite independently of her parents. I really felt for the parents. As if it wasn't bad enough to lose your daughter, to then have your parenting put under the microscope...Just awful. And in all honesty, it was something that could equally have happened if they had been at home.

Sorry, going off the topic really but it does demonstrate what a grey area these late teenage years are.

• Like 3

Yes, 16-18 is a weird time. I was livid recently to have to pay adult price for DD at a particular tourist attraction as she is 17 and chikd rates stopped at 16.

In my day, you had to pay "adult" rail fares from the age of 14 onwards.  It seemed I'd barely hit 16 before they decided to move the limit up to 16 :( 

and don't even think about holidays and flights! last year we wanted to do a transatlantic trip with children then aged 12 and 14. Depending on the carrier and hotel we were either 2 adults + 2 children, 3 adults +1 child or 4 adults. It took the services of a travel agent to work out the best deal for us