My Diet Diary

Lisa O`Brien

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn`t looking forward to being weighed this week. I was convinced that I had gained weight. The previous fortnight I had been eating bread,cheese on my salads,I had chicken fried rice from the local Chinese takeaway,and I ate a packet of crisps. Well guess what? I lost three and a half pounds.! I was delighted. I put it down to all the apples I have been eating,as well as a salad every day. I THINK, I am maybe,starting to get the hang of losing weight while not depriving myself of something I really want. Naomi at Slim 4 Life said this to us a couple of months ago but I didn`t pay too much attention. If I eat something naughty like Chinese,crisps,or lots of cheese etc,I can just pull it back in other foods I eat. The other day when I had chicken fried rice I had only eaten two Weetabix with 1 percent fat milk for breakfast,and 2 apples and one small banana for lunch. So,I guess it must have been OK for me to have something with a high fat content for dinner because I hadn`t  consumed many calories that day with the other things I ate. I was in town one day last week, and decided to go into my favourite cafe/restaurant. I had cod,chips and mushy peas. Actually I didn`t enjoy the fish as the batter was incredibly greasy. God knows how many calories must have been in the whole thing. But I only had a salad for tea. I have been having large salads every day. I have 3 large tomatoes,lots of lettuce,a full,small tin of sweetcorn,3 hard boiled eggs,a couple of thin slices of Cheddar cheese and 2 slices of wholemeal bread with a cup of tea.Oh,but I smother it all in plenty of Hellman`s Light [or Lighter than Light if I can get hold of it]. Been having this at some point every day,and it`s delish. But the point I was trying to make was, I think I have lost weight because ,even though I have been eating certain high calorie foods throughout the last 2 weeks, I have pulled my calorie intake back in other areas to compensate for this. Got the tape measure out this morning too. Although my hips and bust measurements are exactly the same as when I last measured them a month ago I have lost 2 inches off my waist. Naomi said even though I AM having "naughty" things, all the same I must be doing something right. I think i`ve found a way to be able to "have my cake and eat it",so to speak. !!!

• Like 5

Way to go! I do fish and chips about once a month, but I give half the chips to a friend, leave the batter and gorge on the mushy peas. Its OK to leave the batter, even if your mother told you to eat everything :) Also bacon medallions - have you tried them? v yummy grilled with a beefsteak tomato you can pretend its a fry up. But do you have an antidote for crisps? they are my downfall and I steal them from my children late at night (shame).

But amazing results..   keep eating those apples

Just saw this on  Pinterest. I`ve written it out,and modified it slightly. I think i`m going to attach it to a kitchen cupboard. Although I don`t know if I have the willpower to stick to it for 21 days like you`re supposed to.  It says, The No Junk Food Challenge.  The Rules:    No Chocolate. No Biscuits. No Cake,Donuts or Muffins. No Pastries. No Bread. No Chips. No Ice Cream. No Fast Food. ... For 21 Days.  I could add a few of my own. No Full Fat Cheese. No French Fries. With Slim 4 Life we are allowed to eat 2 slices of bread every day,although sometimes I have more. [i only have wholemeal bread,but it would be better still if I cut it out altogether].

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

I quite like seeded multi-grain breads if you need a carb fix. They fill you up and can be a good carrier for extra protein, and it's less expensive than munching on nuts which I like to do when I'm trying to avoid snacks.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my God. There is a DIVINE smell of chips wafting my way through my open back door and it`s driving me insane !  I`ve already eaten one salad today. Think it might be a bit mad to have a second. Actually,the amount of lettuce,tomatoes,eggs and sweetcorn I am currently getting through is costing me a small fortune. It mounts up when you are buying more every other day. I got my" two and a half stone lost"  award on Monday. I`d actually lost more than that,but it wasn`t enough for my three stone award. Not yet,anyway.!! I`m hoping to have that when I go back to my group in a fortnight. But that smell. It`s sheer torture.!!

• Like 1

Well done on your weight loss Lisa!  Just think that it's not long till your next award and stay strong!

I get basic frozen sweetcorn from a supermarket where every little helps.  It only takes seconds in the microwave to defrost and heat up and is more economic than the tins.

• Like 1

Well done on your weight loss Lisa!  Just think that it's not long till your next award and stay strong!

I get basic frozen sweetcorn from a supermarket where every little helps.  It only takes seconds in the microwave to defrost and heat up and is more economic than the tins.

Think i`ll have to start buying frozen sweetcorn from now on,yes.

Well I stuck to my diet this past month, inspired by you Lisa, and with the help of a tummy bug I actually lost 3 kilos - just in time to go on stage for the end of year shows!  Of course once I was officially on holiday I put back on a kilo, but classes have started up again (the morning adult ballet classes were cancelled because of a summer course) so hopefully that kilo will come off again before I go to England on holiday!  By the way, try smothering your salad in cottage cheese rather than salad dressing - much healthier!

• Like 2

Well I stuck to my diet this past month, inspired by you Lisa, and with the help of a tummy bug I actually lost 3 kilos - just in time to go on stage for the end of year shows!  Of course once I was officially on holiday I put back on a kilo, but classes have started up again (the morning adult ballet classes were cancelled because of a summer course) so hopefully that kilo will come off again before I go to England on holiday!  By the way, try smothering your salad in cottage cheese rather than salad dressing - much healthier!

Thanks for the suggestion,Dance*is*life,but I cannot stomach cottage cheese. I shouldn`t really have Hellman`s mayonnaise,but it`s yummy. I hate salad cream as well !

• Like 1

I just can`t buy crisps. I love them so much,almost as much as cheese.!! Walker`s Cheese and Onion and The Real McCoy`s Cheddar ones .Yum. Oh,Pringles too. I just have to eat the whole tube. I`m a disaster with them.

Have you tried having a drink of water every time you *think* you're hungry, Lisa? I read somewhere that often if we think we're hungry, we're actually dehydrated, so to have a drink first - and then if you really were hungry, to then eat.

• Like 2

Have you tried having a drink of water every time you *think* you're hungry, Lisa? I read somewhere that often if we think we're hungry, we're actually dehydrated, so to have a drink first - and then if you really were hungry, to then eat.

Gosh that`s a great idea Anna,thanks. Must give it a go.

• Like 1

A little tip that works for me - albeit not every time - as well as having a drink of water, I brush my teeth and get that nice fresh, minty taste that doesn't go well with food!

As for salad, if you want a break from lettuce, substitute with raw spinach leaves, mix in some roughly chopped, oven baked chicken (still warm), some chopped, grilled bacon, cherry tomatoes, handful of pine nuts and a drizzle of olive oil. Give it a stir and eat. Nice!

• Like 3

A little tip that works for me - albeit not every time - as well as having a drink of water, I brush my teeth and get that nice fresh, minty taste that doesn't go well with food!

As for salad, if you want a break from lettuce, substitute with raw spinach leaves, mix in some roughly chopped, oven baked chicken (still warm), some chopped, grilled bacon, cherry tomatoes, handful of pine nuts and a drizzle of olive oil. Give it a stir and eat. Nice!

Cheers,Jacqueline. Sounds yummy.

• Like 1

OK I`ve just read an online article in the Daily Mail that says dentists are warning people to not eat too many apples,especially the very sweet variety,as they contain so much sugar. You can`t win ,can you?

I've read something else recently where someone was bemoaning the trend towards sweeter apples, but I think that may have been more because of the sharper types becoming less available, rather than health issues.  Apples are *supposed* to have a bit of a bite!  I don't much like Pink Ladies, find Royal Gala dead boring, and as for Golden "Delicious" - well, at least the French don't break their version of the Trade Descriptions Act, simply calling them "les Golden" :).  Still, it should be time for Discoveries very shortly, and then the British apple season will be really under way.

Pom Bears have fewer calories than ordinary crisps too!

*And* they seem to be pretty low in salt, too.  Nice!

Lisa, I don't know how I didn't manage to spot that you'd updated this, but I'm fully caught up now!

• Like 1

Well 26 July is over for another year,thank God.My son`s father died [we think,but no-one had seen or heard from him for 2 days previously]  on this date 8 years ago. I walked into his house and found him lay on top of the bed,stone cold dead. He was 52. Although we hadn`t been together for years,and I hated him at times, this time every year it hits me really hard. So,of course,I turn to my great comforter,food. Well usually anyway. I`ve felt so sad all day [thankfully his son hasn`t ,which is more important to me],but in spite of this I haven`t binge eaten on anything. Just healthy,low fat meals,and no snacking in between. I`m relieved,as I said that this day is now over and I can start to put it to the back of my mind somewhat. Not entirely of course. You never forget walking to find your ex dead like that [both me and his sister think it was suicide,which really doesn`t help at all]. But me stuffing my face [and therefore supressing my emotions] is really not going to help much either.Proud of the way I handled it today. 

• Like 3

Well done Lisa for getting through a difficult day without your usual prop.

Onwards and upwards - you have positives to concentrate on now. Sean is doing well with his studies, you are doing well with your weight loss and of course your ballet trip is coming up.

• Like 3

Well i`ve been a very naughty bunny !  About 3 nights ago I was desperate for a major binge,and I knew the usual Options hot chocolate drink was not going to cut it. Also,my son was away at his auntie`s in County Mayo,and whenever he is away I always pig out. I don`t know what it is. Before he has even left the house I am already planning what naughty foods I am going to eat. My head just races with every amount of junk you can imagine. It`s like when the cat`s away the mice will play. My subconscious just goes berserk. Every single day he is here I am in control and eating healthily. But before he has even left I know I can "get away" with eating whatever I want ,and plan to do so accordingly. Well after he had left,I tried and tried so hard to resist the temptation. Put it off for hours. Kept myself busy,that sort of thing. Then it got to eight o`clock that night and I couldn`t stand it any longer. I thought, what would I like? McDonald`s,Burger King,KFC or Chinese? I opted for the Chinese,simply because the others were all in Newry centre,and because I don`t have a car I would have to have got a taxi there and back to get my "fix" and it would have been £12 in taxis not including the food. BTW,I had plenty of food in,as I had Sainsbury`s deliver two week`s worth just two days earlier. But that`s part of the insanity of my addiction. So anyway,I decided on the cheapest option,and walked to the local Chinese. Chicken fried rice and chips. But I thought,while i`m out i`ll just go over to Costcutter and get something sweet for after it. I may as well continue to have something bad after the Chinese while i`m at it.  Cake !!   I love Cherry Bakewells [well, I love ALL cake,but they are one of my favourites]. Not Mr.Kipling,they don`t sell them,but these ones called Heritage. They sell a lot of this "own brand" type of foods ,and are perfectly fine but a bit cheaper. The Heritage pack of 6 Cherry Bakewells were on offer. Buy 2 boxes and get a pound off. Well I love a bargain like the next person,so 2 boxes it was. But then I thought,mmn, I`d quite like a bit of chocolate as well. Large bar of Milky Bar [i love the smell of white chocolate,especially Milky Bar,just divine]. But then I thought,i`d quite like some darker chocolate too. So I also bought a large bar of Galaxy. I needed a soft drink to wash it all down with so I bought a large bottle of Coke Zero.[Yes,I decided on the Zero type,so it wouldn`t have any calories in it.!!!!!]  Normally I have one of the small bottles,but they were selling 2 litre bottles for only a pound. So I bought that. The Chinese,which I didn`t even enjoy,was consumed,then I started on the cakes. I ate one packet of six ,one after the other. Felt stuffed. Then I was just about to go to bed,and I thought, i`ll just open the other box of Cherry Bakewells and just have one of them. I had three. The next day,I DID have salad and a healthy dinner of 2 small baked potatoes and tuna. But the "treats" were still in the cupboard. At Overeaters Anonymous [which I haven`t been to in the longest time due to my Social Phobia],they tell us that if there is any tempting food you have in the house,to take it out of its wrapping , put it in the sink and completely cover it with washing up liquid. Simply throwing it away in the bin will not work. If you are desperate enough you will retrieve it from the bin and eat it. [i`ve never actually done this myself,thank God,but some people at OA have in the middle of the night]. The remaining cakes and two bars of chocolate were still in the cupboard,so I finished them all off in the coming hours. Had absolutely no intention of pouring washing up liquid over them or even taking the unwrapped chocolate back to the shop for a refund. I wanted it and I was going to have it.! Sean comes home Sunday evening,and a calmness and serenity comes over me. Feel absolutely no need or inclination to eat anything other than healthy,low fat foods. Supposed to be going to Slim 4 Life this morning,but after my major pig out I just can`t face the scales. My own ones say I have gained 2 pounds,which doesn`t surprise me in the least. So, to my shame,I lied to my friend when I sent her a message on Facebook this morning. Pretended I had sickness and diarrhoea all night,when in fact there is nothing wrong with me. You see, just like an alcoholic,a food addict will lie to cover their tracks if they have to. Thoroughly ashamed of myself,both for the deception and the way I allowed me to treat myself. I am worth more than that,on both fronts. But falling "off the wagon" is par for the course,and after a long chat on the phone to my sister in Manchester and some encouraging words from her,i`ll get back on track again today. Onwards and upwards.

It's great you're staying positive Lisa and I agree it's ok to forgive yourself and start over. Keep going!

I have the same urge for junk food when my partner is away too and I usually indulge in something that I shouldn't. I was wondering if, when your son is going to be away, keeping yourself busy with planning and cooking a delicious meal and pudding for yourself might help? Even if it is something quite rich, it might be more satisfying and would help while away the hours.

Edited by Sunrise
  • Like 1

It's great you're staying positive Lisa and I agree it's ok to forgive yourself and start over. Keep going!

I have the same urge for junk food when my partner is away too and I usually indulge in something that I shouldn't. I was wondering if, when your son is going to be away, keeping yourself busy with planning and cooking a delicious meal and pudding for yourself might help? Even if it is something quite rich, it might be more satisfying and would help while away the hours.

That`s a great idea,Sunrise. I should definately plan meals ahead, as it affects me every time he`s away. Knowing me though,i`d probably make something,and leave it and go for the junk instead.!

That`s a great idea,Sunrise. I should definately plan meals ahead, as it affects me every time he`s away. Knowing me though,i`d probably make something,and leave it and go for the junk instead.!

Aw no, not if you've spent an hour or two cooking and looking forward to it and it's super tasty :-)  I think it's ok to indulge when cooking now and then - I've tried making KFC-style fried chicken at home and it isn't quite the same but it's still tasty, and at least you know what's gone into it. So yeah, plan old favourites, or find new recipes to have fun with, and it'll make the meals rewarding and worth waiting for!

• Like 2