My Diet Diary

Lisa O`Brien

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes especially since the announcement that cheese can be good for your heart!!

I still expect though that the advice will be to eat it in moderation just not cut out altogether. Just as well as I love cheese too!!

• Like 1

Well I`m still off all chocolate,cakes,etc. So a big pat on the back for me.!! If I get really desperate for a sugar fix,often late at night for some reason, I`ve been having a cup of Options hot drinking chocolate. Years ago we always used to have Cadbury`s Drinking Chocoate [is that what it`s called? The one in the purple container?] It`s made with milk and I used to add sugar as well. Yummy but very fattening,i`d imagine. I tried the white chocolate Options drink,and it was gross. Didn`t even like the smell of it,which surprised me as I love white chocolate. But the Belgian chocolate one is lovely. And only 40 calories. Sainsbury`s had a special offer on the last time I was there; buy one get one free,so I stocked up.!! I`ve lost 2 stones. Got my 2 Stone Certificate pinned up on my kitchen cabinet door, along with the others. Chuffed. But I have another 2 or 3 stones to lose. I really want to go and see BRB in Swan Lake when they come to the Grand Opera House in Belfast in November. Naomi,who runs the Slim 4 Life group told us to pick an event a few weeks or months away you might be going to [wedding or whatever] and it will be something to aim for. BRB are in Belfast at the beginning of November and it would be nice to look nice for when I go. Was actually looking at their seating plan today. They`ve loads of tickets left for every night and also the matinees. At first was going to book a ticket for the Thursday matinee and come home on the bus the same evening. But do you know what? I think i`ll treat myself. I think i`ll buy a ticket for the Friday evening,maybe in the circle,and book a hotel room for the night. Never go out of an evening and get to stay overnight anywhere anymore. Not since my beloved Oasis split up. Asked Sean if he wanted to go and he really isn`t interested. I dragged him to SL a few years back. Don`t think he`d want to sit through it again.!! But thanks for asking about the weight loss. It`s coming off slowly and steadily,which I suppose is the best way.

• Like 6

A great idea to treat yourself to a hotel room.

It saves the panic of having to get home etc and can be very relaxing!

It may do wonders for your self confidence as well.

• Like 2

Lisa- that is fabulous - well done. November is a sensible target because as you say slow loss is better. Are you getting out walking more now? Bet your feet are happier now!!

Not getting out walking as much as I ought to. Although with[hopefully] the continued weight loss,this will be an incentive to not hide myself away quite so much. Might even treat myself to a hair cut too. [My hair is long,straggly and horrible as I just haven`t bothered going to the hairdressers for well over a year]. I look like a witch. 

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

I think I can feel a new Lisa trying to get out here!!

I remember once I persevered with trying to grow my hair long for a couple of years but I seem to have that sort of hair which doesn't like much more than shoulder length before it splits and goes straggly.

I was a bit disappointed to have to have it cut but it looked so much better shorter I had to admit!

• Like 1

Treating myself to the hairdressers today,although I actually don't enjoy the experience. I've lost 3 stone - well I had up until last July since then I've sot of plateaued.Lose a pound one week, put on half the next then stay the same for weeks. Getting a bit bored of it all now but need to loose the same again - if not more!  But well done to you Lisa, I think you've got it cracked :)

• Like 1

Not getting out walking as much as I ought to. Although with[hopefully] the continued weight loss,this will be an incentive to not hide myself away quite so much. Might even treat myself to a hair cut too. [My hair is long,straggly and horrible as I just haven`t bothered going to the hairdressers for well over a year]. I look like a witch. 

Sounds like you are doing well with the weight loss. As LinMM says, there is a new Lisa emerging, thinking about how you look. By all means get your hair cut, it is an instant pep up. When my hair needs a trim and my fringe is in my eyes, it really gets me down. I look in the mirror and think good god who is that fat old woman? Do something! 

Go to the ballet, treat yourself to something nice from the Body Shop or similar. Everyone needs something to look forward to, it doesn't have to be expensive. The dieting or just watching what you eat will become part of your life rather than the be all and end all. Get out there girl. Lisa has arrived!

• Like 2

Another thing i`ve been keeping an eye on is the measurements. My weighing scales say something completely different to Naomi`s at Slim 4 Life every other week when I go.  I`ve no idea whether it`s hers or mine that are accurate. So I try and not go on mine too often. But what I have been doing the last few months is getting the tape measure out. Now that IS accurate,even if the scales aren`t. I have been recording in my diary/address book my hip circumference measurement. I did initially record my waist measurement too, but that`s a [pardon the pun] waste of time. !! I`ve always had small breasts and a large waist,and whatever weight or dress size I have been, that hasn`t altered that dramatically. But my hips and backside; that`s another matter altogether.!! So I have been concentrating primarily on measuring my hip circumference. I`ve lost 3 1/2 inches off my hips so far, so I`m pleased. One thing about me that I will admit to now though. Do you know how you hear some women say they can`t help being the size they are because they are big boned? And they probably do mean it. Well I am the opposite. Flat chested ,narrow shouldered,and narrow hipped my whole life. In fact when I really get in to the swing of dieting i`ve been known to have a hip circumference of less than 30 inches. Not ideal for someone 5FT 7 IN tall I know. So I`m telling you all this as I really can`t use the old "I`m big boned" thing as an excuse. I`m not. It really IS all fat with me.!!!!

• Like 2

Lisa - you have such great insight which is half the battle!! As you lose fat and maybe exercise more you may well put on muscle which weighs more than fat so measurements may be better anyway....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve decided to really put in more effort. I went to my Slim 4 Life group last week,and had not lost a single pound in a fortnight. Felt a bit fed up and a bit sorry for myself at first. But then I got annoyed at myself,and determined to make more of an effort. So... I have cut out my Flora Light; on everything.! Took me a few days to get used to having 4 dry cream crackers in the morning instead of my usual Flora Light spread. But I persevered and am used to the dryness of them now. As long as I have a cup of tea with them then I am OK. Have also drastically cut down on the amount of potatoes I eat. For two reasons; one,because ,obviously,they are carbs. And two because I usually love really hot potatoes with a generous smothering of Flora Light ,so it melts all over the spuds. I can`t imagine eating the potatoes completely dry. I suppose what I ought to do is make my own low fat gravy,but TBH I can`t be bothered.!! I would rather do without potatoes altogether than have to start making gravy. If I do make gravy I usually only make using Bisto Gravy Granules.! No inch loss over the past week,unfortunately. I`ll not be at the Group next Monday,and i`m hoping the following week, after doing without margarine,will show in a weight loss. OK,I know that the inches on the tape measure are more important than what it says on the scales. But psychologically I think, there is something rewarding about visually seeing the scales have had a reduction. Plus their policy at Slim 4 Life,as I found out the other day is to see both a reduction in what the tape measure says at home AND the scales at the group. I suppose that is because they as an organisation measure [pardon the pun] their success in how much weight everyone has lost. A big thing in the group each week is the group organiser announcing to the whole class that collectively that week the group has lost 40 pounds or whatever. But I am completely off all chocolate,cakes,biscuits,etc, and have been for a few weeks now. 10 years ago just cutting out this alone would have been enough for me to lose weight. But I guess as I am getting older [i`m 47] my metabolism is slowing down. I have found it so much harder to lose weight this time around than 10 years ago. I`m really having to battle for every pound lost. 10 years ago I lost a stone a month,every month. Now,I`ve lost 2 stones since January,and there isn`t really anything different i`m doing this time around. So i`m just going to have to accept that it will probably be a much slower process and give myself patience. I`ll be buying my 2 tickets for the Birmingham Royal Ballet in Swan Lake in November at the Grand Opera House in Belfast tomorrow. One for a matinee and another for an evening performance on a different day; going to spoil myself. Since my beloved Oasis split up in 2009 I find I don`t go out to any shows or concerts anymore. I`m going to treat myself with 2 performances . The matinee I can come home from Belfast on the bus that evening. But for the evening performance i`m going to book myself into a hotel for the night,have a nice [low calorie ] breakfast the next morning and take my time getting home. But I want to be slim-ish by then,so I can wear something half decent. I seem to spend half my life in track suit bottoms at the moment. It would be nice to dress up a little bit,especially for the evening performance. So, I have something concrete to aim for. 2 performances of my favourite ballet. And they still have plenty of tickets left.!!

Whatever works for you is good, Lisa, but do be careful about cutting out fats - our bodies actually need "good fats" - i.e. polyunsaturated fats, olive oil, Omega 3, rapeseed oil etc. If you control your portions of Flora Light, it's probably much more beneficial than cutting it out completely.

There could be many reasons why you didn't lose any weight last week - time of the month, you could have reached a plateau, you may actually not be eating enough which sends your metabolism into "self-preservation mode" and actually slows down because it's not sure when the next meal is coming. Hopefully your Slimming club group leader has discussed all this with you. But I firmly believe in a portion controlled balanced healthy eating plan - with everything in moderation, including "good" fats. Much better for you in the long run.

• Like 4

Yes, I know you`re right Anna. I`ve just been becoming a bit impatient with the slow weight loss. I assumed it was going to be the same as 10 years ago. When I cut out most carbs and most sugar the weight fell off me. I suppose I thought it was going to be the same this time around. Well it`s clearly not. I have to do it sensibly though. 

• Like 1

Have you spoken to your GP about your plans to lose weight? Might be that a a check up is in order to see there is nothing going on that would make it more difficult to lose weight - thyroid or hormonal problem.

• Like 3

Just bought myself two tickets for BRB in Swan Lake in November. One ticket for the Thursday matinee,front row of the Circle,and one ticket for the Saturday evening,four rows from the front in the Stalls. Never been to this theatre before,so i`ll know after these two performances whether I prefer it in the stalls or circle. Top tickets though,so both should be good.! Now i`m skint,so I won`t be able to buy a hotel ticket for the Saturday 7th until nearer the time. But a happy bunny right now.!!

• Like 3

If its any consolation they do say that weight that comes off slowly is more likely to stay off. As for not losing any in the fortnight rather than cutting down too much on food try changing whatever you are doing for exercise. As you get more used to walking your body is making less effort to walk the same distance than when you first started. I was advised that you should keep changing a fitness routine (no matter how small it is) so that it keeps your body working 'on its toes' as it were. Even just putting some music on and having an energetic dance around the living room or skipping or doing some stepups on the bottom step and some sit ups could make a difference. Just do different things on different days.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I fell off the wagon last night. I keep having periods. Started again yesterday morning,after my last one only finished 6 days ago. This keeps happening. My Mirena coil was removed in July 2013,but for the past six months or so my periods have been very heavy and very frequent. I don`t know whether it`s my body adjusting to not having the coil [i had 2 fitted in succession for a total of 10 years],so virtually no periods for all that time. Or it could be that I am pre-menopausal,which is apparently called peri-menopause. I will be 48 in November so it could very well be that this is the start of what could well be the beginning of "The Change". I have no other Menopause symptoms though,like hot flushes or night sweats or anything. Anyway,these frequent periods,and having had no sweet things for the last two months came to a head last night. The only sugar I have allowed myself is a drink of hot chocolate;Options,which is only 40 calories a cup.Oh and occasionally a small bottle of Coke Zero,which,of course,has no sugar in it. But last night was just horrendous. I went in to see Sean in his room,and said to him I needed chocolate so badly I didn`t know whether I wanted to scream or cry. It was that bad. Anyway he smiled at me,and handed me a large packet of Maltesers,and a small Cadbury`s Snack .Both were consumed within 10 minutes, and I instantly felt so much better,both physically and psychologically. Maybe I overdid the chocolate cold turkey. I HAD gone from one extreme to the other in doing without chocolate altogether. Feel so much better today. I have a feeling I will not have lost a single pound at Slim 4 Life on Monday,as i`ve been nibbling at full fat Cheddar cheese every day. But as long as I haven`t put on any weight it will be not too bad. But not sure whether to go and see my [female] GP about the amount of periods I keep getting.Or if this is normal after having the coil removed. I don`t want to go and see her if it`s a normal part of things.I`ll feel as though i`ve wasted her time.

Lisa - go and see your GP and don't delay. It won't be a waste of time as if things continue as they are you run the real risk of becoming anaemic. I'm no doctor but I was told a hormone imbalance when I developed heavy and frequent periods, becoming anaemic without even realising it as it took me a while to go and see my GP. At the time I wasn't even aware I felt ill - it was only later when I looked back.

• Like 3

Lisa - go and see your GP and don't delay. It won't be a waste of time as if things continue as they are you run the real risk of becoming anaemic. I'm no doctor but I was told a hormone imbalance when I developed heavy and frequent periods, becoming anaemic without even realising it as it took me a while to go and see my GP. At the time I wasn't even aware I felt ill - it was only later when I looked back.

Oh wow. Thank you 2dancers. I didn`t realise. Yes,you`re right. Can`t phone and make an appt.until Monday now,but I will do first thing Monday morning. 

Well first thing this morning I made an appointment to see my GP.The earliest she can see me is next Tuesday. Had to ring the surgery dead on nine o`clock,and even then it was engaged. Re-dialled and I got through straight away.!! I lost one and a half pounds at Slim 4 Life today,but seeing how I hadn`t been since 11th May it`s not exactly a resounding success. I actually get the feeling though that the whole Slim 4 Life programme is nowhere near as effective as Slimming World. You can`t help but overhear Naomi telling others how much they have lost,even though she tries to be quiet and discreet. Every time I go all I usually hear her say to people is "You`ve lost one pound" or "you`ve stayed the same". I actually was awarded the Biggest Loser [of weight] of the Week this week. It doesn`t say much for everyone else there if the biggest weight loss of the week only lost one and a half pounds. But I feel loyal to my friend.If it wasn`t for her I would have gone back to Slimming World before now .But she is trying very hard to build up her business with three groups every week. I think she can only hold the groups on a Monday as they are held in Newry Hockey Club and I think the venue is busy on other days. Still,at least I didn`t gain weight so it could have been worse I guess. But as i`ve said before,it`s the expense of the bus fare there and back ,plus the £4.50 I pay at group,just to step on her scales and it says i`ve only lost one and a half pounds in 3 weeks. Grr. [Maybe I could secretly re-join Slimming World,and adhere to their plan while still staying with Naomi ]. Or does that sound a bit mad???

Do you have music, audiobooks or the radio to listen to when you walk, maybe on your phone? It can make long walks quite a lot of fun. ☺

i totally agree with you ms. sunrise.. may i also suggest cardio workouts dvd's ,since our friend here prefer not to socialize much,, and oh there's this one exercise tool that i use when im watching tv , you heard of twister? i hope so,. i twisted on it for an hour for 2 days and 2 inches instantly vanished from my waist, imagine that? 

i hope this enlighten you,, thanks and keep it up girl

• Like 2

just want to share ladies, capoeira, which is my new favorite cardio work out , as for me , i dont feel like i m workin' out when i m dancin' capoeira.. 

anyone here shares the same interest regarding capoeira? i hope someone does.. ;) 

'

• Like 1

Hi Lisa,

If your friend's diet club isn't doing the job for you maybe you should go back to Slimming World? Although she is your friend you are a paying customer. Could you say the

Doctor said to try another plan to quick start weight loss again? It does help sonetimes - gives your body something different and relieves your boredom?

• Like 2

Thanks Sarah. Yes, I have thought about going back to Slimming World several times. I have often come back from the Slim 4 Life group in a bad mood and feeling annoyed at not having lost a single pound that week. With Slimming World I was spoiled,I guess. Almost every week, I was awarded the Slimmer of the Week certificate,often losing 5,6,or 7 pounds in one week. I might secretly go to SW. They have groups that are on days and times that are far more practical for me as well,i.e. are on days when I can actually afford to go,which kind of helps.!! So frustrating forking out my last tenner to Slim 4 Life just to find out I haven`t lost any weight. Grr.!! Of course, if I go to both groups it will be twice as much money ,but TBH I think it would be worthwhile to see the weight loss. 

Edited by Lisa O`Brien