Jump to content

RBS Summer School E Mail


Piccolo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just wondered if any of you have received the RBS e mail re closing date for SS? After applying for dd and taking precious time off work in the school hols 'just in case' two years running, and two wait lists amounting to nothing, I've been thinking that maybe a family holiday should come first. The e mail makes it seem (probably unrealistically) accessible, and I'm probably going to make the same mistake again and submit an application for dd ! :-) ! (Yes, she wants to go. She'd be there in a shot).

 

What do others think? A top up of vitamin D in the sun or another gamble on RBS?!? Anyone had similar experiences? I'd be grateful to hear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Piccolo

My dd has been in this position for 3 years running and like yourselves , would have been there in a shot.

I've never taken time off work but I have booked other Summer Schools around the Royal dates just in case.

Maybe apply and if she isn't given a place outright book a holiday .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hy Piccolo my DD is in the same situation: 2 years and 2 waiting lists for nothing! In addition, we are from Italy, that means that a last minute call would have been a very expensive solution ( higher flight fares, hotel accomodatiion rates...). For the past two years we couldn't plan any family vacation before june....To be honest I do not know what to do this year. At least, the earlier closing date means that we can have results earlier: if, as they said, results will be out in january, we could apply and in case of a no or waiting list again, we still have time to plan other summer schools and/or family holiday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Piccolo. I suggest that you look at all the other wonderful summer schools that are on offer. My DD has attended a number of different summer schools over the years enjoying them all as well as having a family holiday with her brothers which is important for the rest of the family and she is now in a top London ballet vocational school. By doing your research on other summer schools you can organise a summer school for your dd  and book a family holiday which in years to come you may regret not having. I found RBS summer school was very costly compared to others on offer who also offer experienced and professional  faculty and excellent facilities. Good Luck. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all! So great to be able to run your thoughts past the Balletco and get a more rounded perspective on things! Probably no need to book time off work should the RBS SS opportunity come up. I could probably work and fit in taxi service duty too as per usual. I could focus time off work in the hols around a family holiday and maybe organise another good SS for dd. Would then have nice things for all of us to look forward to :-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would go on holiday. I am sure it's a great summer school, but as others have said, there are also many others that provide an excellent experience, albeit perhaps without quite the same degree of kudos. Personally, i would think that the combination of a family holiday and a week at a different summer school with a less taxing application process would probably benefit your DD most, if that's an option?

I don't know if you have other children, but if so, I imagine they would be keener on the family holiday too.

My DD has never aspired to going to vocational school, but there have still been plenty of occasions when her brothers have been dragged along to dance events, or told that we can't do certain things because DD is in a show/on a course/at EYB or whatever. Sometimes I have found it essential to take steps to redress that balance - ballet may be the love of my DD's life, but the same isn't the case for the whole family!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found, after a SWL place again last year, and subsequently very few UK participants on the programme, the chances of getting a place are really very slim. This year I will be saving the application fee,booking DD onto an alternative programme and enjoy not waiting for the Royal summons to arrive (or not)  ;)

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots more good points! I'm surprised no one has cashed in on a situation that must amount to lots of DC's all set to dance but nowhere to dance. Maybe someone should start up a summer school for wait listers, leaving the 'costly' selection process to the RBS ;-)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would echo the advice to go for your holiday and perhaps try a different summer school. Your children are only young for such a short period of time and it isn't long before they no longer want to go on holiday with their parents. Make the most of family time while you have the opportunity. I am sure your DD would love another summer school just as much as she would still get her dance. I get that RBS is the dream but it does not have to be the only dream and sometimes other dreams can be better.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...