Where Next? IDTA to Solo Seal question

ReluctantBallerina

I've done my advanced II with IDTA and I'd really like to do the RAD solo seal, but I'm not sure if they'll accept my qualification with IDTA instead of RAD. They're not worth the same points at UCAS, so any pointers would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Also, would you recommend any other awards?

Welcome to the forum.  I think you may well have to ask RAD - as long as you got distinction at advanced 2 they may well accept it.  A little confused with your comment re UCAS points though as you surely do not get UCAS points for grades beyond Advanced Foundation so I am not sure what you are comparing.

• Like 1

I've had a scope around their website, and they say that they accept equivalent grades from IDTA, ISTD and others, but I'm just confused on what they mean.

Welcome to the forum.  I think you may well have to ask RAD - as long as you got distinction at advanced 2 they may well accept it.  A little confused with your comment re UCAS points though as you surely do not get UCAS points for grades beyond Advanced Foundation so I am not sure what you are comparing.

Advanced 2 with IDTA is only worth about the same amount as a merit at intermediate RAD, so that's why I was asking. I know they're not given the same weight at UCAS, so I was wondering if the RAD would consider it equivalent.

Hi ReluctantBallerina. Where did you get the information equating Adv 2 IDTA ballet (pass, merit, distinction?) with merit for RAD intermediate? It doesn't seem to gel with the exam boards (or at least the RAD) stating that the equivalent level exam pass will be accepted as an equivalent qualification to take the higher vocational exams.

Hi ReluctantBallerina, if you go to the Rules, regulations and specifications section on the RAD website you can access the syllabus content of the RAD ADV 2 exam. You will then be able to see if the syllabus content is similar to the IDTA exam you have done. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi ReluctantBallerina. Where did you get the information equating Adv 2 IDTA ballet (pass, merit, distinction?) with merit for RAD intermediate? It doesn't seem to gel with the exam boards (or at least the RAD) stating that the equivalent level exam pass will be accepted as an equivalent qualification to take the higher vocational exams.

I got it off the IDTA website, it didn't specify if it was pass, merit, or distinction, annoyingly. I then found the qualification for the same amount of points on the RAD one - it's a shame that they're working together now, but don't have tables or such relating standards of grades across the two boards.

Hi ReluctantBallerina, if you go to the Rules, regulations and specifications section on the RAD website you can access the syllabus content of the RAD ADV 2 exam. You will then be able to see if the syllabus content is similar to the IDTA exam you have done. Hope this helps.

Thanks! That's a really good idea :)

• Like 2

Oh I see. I'm not sure whether the RAD and IDTA are actually working together or simply have a reciprocal policy whereby they recognise each other's teaching qualifications? This is a genuine question by the way - I have been asking it on and off for some time but have never really had an answer. They are certainly each keeping their own different ballet exams and I understand that the new ballet syllabi both exam boards have introduced is still distinct and separate from that of the other. that being so I'm not surprised they don't have a table relating grade standards to those of the other exam board.

It must be dispiriting that Adv 2 IDTA equates to a merit for RAD intermediate, but if you have distinction for the IDTA Adv 2 then I can see no reason why you wouldn't be able to enter for RAD Solo Seal given the RAD statement that other exam boards' vocational qualifications will be accepted as qualifying you for entry - unless this provision isnt applicable for Solo Seal entry. I would contact the RAD to discuss it with them.

If you find that the syllabus content of the Adv 2 exams of the 2 boards is different you could also consider doing the RAD Adv 2 exam, or at least studying the syllabus, before tackling Solo Seal?

• Like 2

I'm no expert, and I wouldn't dream of trying to compare the 2 syllabi in terms of quality, but from having observed my DD doing RAD and various friends doing other syllabi I think it is safe to say that they are different in style and content. For that reason alone it would seem sensible to me for anyone joing the RAD system to begin with one of the exams below solo seal, even if they are technically able to do it. As I understand it, solo seal is a huge challenge, and many excellent dancers find it immensely difficult, even if they have been schooled in the RAD style for many years. Going in right at the top of any exam scheme and therefore having to get used to a different style at the same time as working on very difficult technique sounds like it would be very stressful. I think that Legseleven has given very sound advice and I would second the suggestion of taking some advanced RAD classes to get a better idea of how your current level compares, and indeed whether you like it, before contemplating solo seal. Good luck with everything.

• Like 4

From the UCAS website the same grade exam earns the same number of points regardless of exam board

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables/gradeddance

Also no exam above advanced foundation gives ucas points as these are considered to be equivilent to degree level study anyway

This is the table taken from the UCAS site

Graded Dance and Vocational Graded Dance Graded dance     Vocational graded dance   Tariff points Grade 8 Grade 7 Grade 6 Advanced Foundation Intermediate         Distinction   70 Distinction       Distinction 65 Merit Distinction   Merit   55         Merit 50 Pass Merit   Pass   45     Distinction   Pass 40   Pass Merit     35     Pass     30

edited to add link as table didn't copy clearly (its almost at the bottom of the page):

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables

Edited by spooky

Once you have seen what the syllabus actually is for RAD advanced 2 it may turn out to be advisable to study for this exam first before the solo seal as otherwise you may find latter content too big a jump but it does depend on exact content of course perhaps there are only a few things that are different but it does sound as if the RAD advanced exams are at a higher level. Good luck with it all anyway.

• Like 1

At dds dance school rad inter is being studied by same girls doing idta grade 5 & idta inter. Teacher is rad qualified & I'm sure she wouldn't have these girls doing both classes if there was that much of a discrepancy! Also rad website say all are level 3 qualifications, but idta adv 1 & 2 are level 4. Would definately check syllabus info to compare or find a teacher that teaches both and get their advice.

From the UCAS website the same grade exam earns the same number of points regardless of exam board

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables/gradeddance

Also no exam above advanced foundation gives ucas points as these are considered to be equivilent to degree level study anyway

This is the table taken from the UCAS site

Graded Dance and Vocational Graded Dance Graded dance     Vocational graded dance   Tariff points Grade 8 Grade 7 Grade 6 Advanced Foundation Intermediate         Distinction   70 Distinction       Distinction 65 Merit Distinction   Merit   55         Merit 50 Pass Merit   Pass   45     Distinction   Pass 40   Pass Merit     35     Pass     30

edited to add link as table didn't copy clearly (its almost at the bottom of the page):

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables

That's a bit strange as it says differently on the IDTA one - I'm not sure which one's right. 

http://www.idta.co.uk/Site2/examinations.html

Oh I see. I'm not sure whether the RAD and IDTA are actually working together or simply have a reciprocal policy whereby they recognise each other's teaching qualifications? This is a genuine question by the way - I have been asking it on and off for some time but have never really had an answer. They are certainly each keeping their own different ballet exams and I understand that the new ballet syllabi both exam boards have introduced is still distinct and separate from that of the other. that being so I'm not surprised they don't have a table relating grade standards to those of the other exam board.

It must be dispiriting that Adv 2 IDTA equates to a merit for RAD intermediate, but if you have distinction for the IDTA Adv 2 then I can see no reason why you wouldn't be able to enter for RAD Solo Seal given the RAD statement that other exam boards' vocational qualifications will be accepted as qualifying you for entry - unless this provision isnt applicable for Solo Seal entry. I would contact the RAD to discuss it with them.

If you find that the syllabus content of the Adv 2 exams of the 2 boards is different you could also consider doing the RAD Adv 2 exam, or at least studying the syllabus, before tackling Solo Seal?

Thanks for your really detailed answer, I think I'll go to some Adv 2 lessons with RAD just to get a feel for them, and decide whether I'll do the exam before Solo Seal or not. The collaboration between the two boards is quite confusing, but I think it was just that they would allow RAD teachers to become IDTA ones as well. I'm not sure about the rest.

Once you have seen what the syllabus actually is for RAD advanced 2 it may turn out to be advisable to study for this exam first before the solo seal as otherwise you may find latter content too big a jump but it does depend on exact content of course perhaps there are only a few things that are different but it does sound as if the RAD advanced exams are at a higher level. Good luck with it all anyway.

I remember going from IDTA grade one to RAD grade 2 (before I changed back to IDTA at grade 3) and it was a really big jump. It wasn't just the new level of difficulty, but the different style they wanted, so I think what you're saying is more sensible than just jumping straight into Solo Seal.

I'm really grateful for all the advice, and I think I'll just take Adv 2 classes for a few months to a year before attempting Solo Seal. Thanks!

• Like 2

You may be interested to know that the current RAD Adv 2 syllabus has been replaced and they are only examining the old one until the end of this year. Some schools have now begun to teach the new Adv 2 syllabus, which will be examined from January 2015.

• Like 1

Given the content of solo seal it might be worth considering trying the RAD Advanced 2 as a new experience and then assessing. I think a lot can be learnt from trying different syllabuses. You would also need someone who knows solo seal well to actually learn it as the syllabus is challenging and detailed.

• Like 1

Given the content of solo seal it might be worth considering trying the RAD Advanced 2 as a new experience and then assessing. I think a lot can be learnt from trying different syllabuses. You would also need someone who knows solo seal well to actually learn it as the syllabus is challenging and detailed.

I've seen a few videos of it online, and it some of it looks quite scary, though I'm looking forward to learning the variations. The  teacher I'm hopefully going to be taking class with has done Solo Seal successfully with other students before, so I think it'll be OK. I agree with your point on different syllabuses - they can be very different in the movement and style that they want (I distinctly remember a teacher telling me off for holding my hands the 'wrong' way when I switched boards at grade two, when my last teacher had been fine with it). That said, I think they do allow a bit more room for personal style in the higher grades, which I prefer.

For Solo Seal you do three variations (as far as I know) and these change regularly. It isn't an exam as such, it's for solo performance.

We get the RAD newsletter and they list those awarded a Solo Seal in there. There aren't usually all that many, and for the last quarter or two I don't remember seeing any from the UK at all.