lord of the flies - Matthew Bourne's

Billyelliott

• 2 weeks later...

Think your DS is in for a treat Billyelliot.

We went to see Lord of the Flies at The Lowry last night. it was visually spectacular as always with Bourne's work and Danny Reubens danced and acted the role of Jack to perfection.

The 24 boys involved looked like they were having the time of their lives ( who wouldn't want to act like a savage!:-D )They all had their photos in the programme and had written a small biog about themselves.

• Like 1

Thanks for that !

Im hoping it will all be worth it as I've just been told that I have to get him from Worthing to Birmingham virtually every day of the Easter holidays and then the following week when I'm back to work so I have to ask by 80 year old parents to go stay there , unless I can find someone local for him to stay with !

At the very least it's going to cost us a fortune in petrol and hotels not to mention meals out !!

Latest option seems to be renting a self catering apartment !!

What we do for our DC's !

• Like 1

There are some serviced appartments in the Arcadian Centre right opposite the Hippodrome Theatre.  I do not know what the cost is so close to the time you need the accommodation, but I suspect not cheap!

A quick search (no dates) has turned this page up on Trivago:  http://www.trivago.co.uk/?iSemThemeId=8882&sem_keyword=holiday+apartments+in+birmingham&sem_placement=&sem_creativeid=34223513077&sem_network=g&sem_device=c&sem_param1=&sem_param2=&sem_matchtype=e&sem_target=&sem_adposition=1t2&iPathId=41018&cip=4412170014101812

• Like 1

Billyelliot we found ourselves in a similar situation a few years ago who our DD's were still at primary school. Both our DD's were cast in a BRB ballet, one for the tour and and Hippodrome week and one just for the Hippodrome. It was a half term and DH and I both work. We could have done train or car with help of Grandparents, but it would have been near impossible with a mix matinees and evening for one and all shows for the other. We rented an apartment at the Arcadian, and between us and sets of Grandparents stayed at the apartment over the week. It was great fun and though probably just more expensive than individual multiple journeys, much less stressful. We all loved the experience. We did get standard rates of reimbursement from the Company so that helped a great way toward the cost, as it was our choice to stay the whole week due to our work situation. Would definitely do it again and the whole family felt they were part of the experience, happy times!

Enjoy very minute and well done for the casting! X

• Like 4

When dd was in a musical in Stockport we stayed in a Premier Inn. There was one day when she had an evening performance followed by matinee & evening the next day.

The other days however she wasn't licensed for the time off school so had to drive back to Stoke.

Premier Inns can be quite cheap if you book on a deal

Dds show only lasted a week. As a teacher dh can't take time off in term time so it was awkward.

So .....the next 2 weeks instead of enjoying time together at home we will be staying in an apartment at the Arcadian near the hippodrome and DS will be supervised by various members of family and then going to stay with a school mate for the last weekend before going back to school !

Sadly there are no funds whatsoever for reimbursing our travel/ accommodation costs , but Grandad has stepped into the breach !

Let's hope that my grandparents are able to enjoy the opening night performance as a some kind of reward for their help !

DS has so far loved the rehearsals and we have one festival performance under our belt for this week .

In spite of a severe lack of rehearsal time he moved us all to tears with his contemporary solo and was awarded first place , much to the delight of his old teachers and local fan club !

We have 2 days actual break now ( apart from a couple of hours ballet practice and an attempt at filming the modern solo )tommorow.

So my next task is to book train tickets for grandparents , pack up 3 different lots of luggage for the 3 phases of the Birmingham stays , so well as washing and re-packing all the kit for the next term at school , which will have to be delivered in advance to his school friends home !

Saturday is the long awaited sussex festival trophy . Once that is over then it is "Lord of the Flies" all the way till May 17!

Official permission has been given by the school director to miss 2 full weeks of school as long as he does his ballet lessons before the all day rehearsals !

It's a good job he is a bundle of energy !

The things we do for the love of dance...........

• Like 6

Hi I'm new to the forum so apologies in advance if my post doesn't make sense! My son has just completed the first run of shows at the lowry it was an amazing experience for him. The rehearsals and travelling were incredibly hard as we live an hour from Manchester and many times I questioned if it was worth it but from the first time he performed I realised it was. He got to work with amazing professional dancers and a fantastic young company. He met Matthew Bourne several times and realised that lots of boys do different types of dance. He is in his own words a ballet boy but he realised after this show he is much more! He met life long friends who shared an amazing experience and although it is incredibly hard going it is more than worth it. So good luck Billyelliot and enjoy this amazing opportunity.

• Like 7

Welcome to the forum RBM I can't bring myself to type your name as you are obviously a great ballet mum if you have seen your boy through this experience !

Thanks so much for the encouragement ! We are 4 hours drive from the rehearsals so we are so greatful for grandpa funding a place to stay for us during the holidays otherwise it would have been out of reach !

It is sounding like a life changing experience and my son is desperately hoping to meet Matthew Bourne as well !

Edited by Billyelliott
  • Like 2

Where is the Sussex Festival held Billyelliott? Realise Ive caught up with this thread a bit late now but would like to know anyway that is when you have a mo between all the goings on......very exciting. Well done to your son as well!!!

• Like 1

Hi LinMM

Today was the last day of the Sussex Festival of Performing Arts - we were there from 9:30am till 9:00pm - it was at the Windmill Theater at Blanchington Mill School Hove .

We have had a wonderful day watching the most amazing local talent !

DS loved being with his old dancing friends and he was welcomed with loud applause and whistles !

He won the Junior trophy ,in which the dancers all dance the same set piece of ballet - obviously the boys version is different , and then their own choice of a modern solo . It has been his dream to win this ! To make the day even more special his ex partner and best friend was the runner up and his other special friend won the senior trophy !

He also won the shield for highest modern mark and the highest boys mark cup !

It's one of the few local festivals that allow vocational students to take part and there are a few famous names om the cups from the last decades !

The festival is usually in the easter holidays - I'm so sorry I forgot you are near to us - I should have alerted you earlier , we might have been able to meet up .....maybe next year !

• Like 5

Thanks Billyelliott such a shame to have missed your son though......and doing so well too. Ive not seen this advertised anywhere in Brighton or Hove but perhaps one of those events you have to be in the know for. Hopefully next year then!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that Janet ! That video gives a much better idea of what to expect

DS tells me they finished learning the last bit of the story today !

From now on the rehearsals will be with the full cast and the professional dancers will join them.

We have got to the end of the holiday rehearsals so now I can get back to normal life and pay off the bills while the school get him to and fro the dance exchange and I wait for the performances excitedly - opening night is the 14th May but I will be going on 17th may !

• Like 1

Hope you have a fantastic time on the 17th Billyelliott ! My ds is in the itv footage ! He is having an amazing time ! Can't wait to watch the show next week ! We are collecting dd from school on Saturday so she can watch her brother in LOTF !! Hope the school take them to watch and support your ds ! What a fantastic experience the boys have had ! Ds is more smitten with a career in dance than ever !!

• Like 1

Hope you have a fantastic time on the 17th Billyelliott ! My ds is in the itv footage ! He is having an amazing time ! Can't wait to watch the show next week ! We are collecting dd from school on Saturday so she can watch her brother in LOTF !! Hope the school take them to watch and support your ds ! What a fantastic experience the boys have had ! Ds is more smitten with a career in dance than ever !!

Yes DS says the whole school are comming to see it !

Oh how exciting for you all, and for your boys. My middle son really wanted to go for this in Glasgow but as his Dance School show falls the same week there was no way he could manage it and was not given permission. Fair enough, but what a missed opportunity! Hats off to Matthew Bourne for involving young talented boys and increasing awareness and experience of dance. Enjoy every minute! 

• Like 2

Just got home from the opening night of Matthew Bournes Lord of the Flies at the Theatre Royal Plymouth. Amazing performances ! This is a must see ! Not that I am bias ! Ds has been purely classical ballet !! I have heard the word diversity banded around so much but never understood it til now ! There is so much more to dance ! One happy ds ! Sleep tight 5 performances to go xx

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So the excitement is mounting - I've just dropped DS off at the Saturday rehearsal and got to see the company having their class - best of all spotted Matthew Bourne arriving I n a Taxi before my DS ! He is super excited today !

Can't beileve it's opening night on Wedesday !

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's all over now ! What a week .

DS was lucky enough to have not only his grandparents , but this old dance teacher ,from his first dance school ,attend the opening night and the after party , which was probably his highlight !

He got to have his photo taken with Matthew Bourne as did his dance teacher ,

He was suffering with exhaustion by the end of the 2 shows in a row on Thursday , but after a morning in bed was back on stage when the whole school came to watch !

I travelled up on Saturday morning with his little brother to see the matinee . It was wonderful - he was on stage 90% of the time and you could see that he threw everything into it ! No wonder he was exhausted .

His little brother was glued to the seat which is most unlike him !

As predicted Grandpa did not like the music , but did appreciate the dance , though was confused by the plot !

I on the other hand loved the way the music was used and thought that the whole thing beautifully captured the essence of the book, whilst bring in it into a modern context .

DS has had the time of his life and although the whole thing turned out to be expensive , it was money well spent , and a great opportunity to experience being part of a professional company .

Definitely recommend going to see it and taking part if you have the opportunity !

It is a brilliant show????????

Edited by Billyelliott
  • Like 8

It is amazing ! So pleased your DS enjoyed the experience ! It's full on ! It's taken DS time to recover and "come down " !! He has an English Literature GCSE on Thursday about Lord of the Flies ! I feel an A* is in the bag !! Thank you Matthew Bourne x

• Like 5