National Youth Ballet Auditions London 23rd Feb

Is anybody on her doing the audition on Sunday? I'm really really nervous as I don't know what to expect or if the standard of dancing is going to be really high:/

My little DD is going.  The standard is high but it is also an enjoyable class if I remember rightly (My older DD did the audition about 5 years ago).  Sorry realised it was you going Anaballerina!! Good luck and enjoy yourself :)

Edited by angel

My little DD is going. The standard is high but it is also an enjoyable class if I remember rightly (My older DD did the audition about 5 years ago). Sorry realised it was you going Anaballerina!! Good luck and enjoy yourself :)

Thank you hope your little DD enjoys! If you see me give me a wave(you'll probably hear my really welshy accent before you see me) I'll have a purple Leo on haha☺️

Anaballerina - you're bound to be a bit nervous but try not to worry - it'll be a fun class :-)

Thank you for the reassurance:) I'm nervous mostly about not knowing anybody as I'm the only person from my area auditioning

Hi Anaballerina, I take it you're in your teens and this is your first time auditioning? Try not to be nervous. NYB is a fab experience. Yes the standard is generally high, but from audition stage to the end performances you'll love every minute however far you get in the process. I first auditioned at about age 11 and was unsuccessful as I was a shy child, but I persevered and auditioned successfully at 14 (way back in 1994!!!) and enjoyed several successes with NYB thereafter participating in numerous performances with them including a couple of once in a life time very special performances. My dd auditioned for NYB for the first time last year and absolutely loved every aspect of it (and not just the summer school, rehearsals, classes and shows, she actually enjoyed the auditions too!). She'll be auditioning again this year on the 2nd of March. Good luck for your audition, I hope it goes well for you!

• Like 5

Hi Anaballerina, I take it you're in your teens and this is your first time auditioning? Try not to be nervous. NYB is a fab experience. Yes the standard is generally high, but from audition stage to the end performances you'll love every minute however far you get in the process. I first auditioned at about age 11 and was unsuccessful as I was a shy child, but I persevered and auditioned successfully at 14 (way back in 1994!!!) and enjoyed several successes with NYB thereafter participating in numerous performances with them including a couple of once in a life time very special performances. My dd auditioned for NYB for the first time last year and absolutely loved every aspect of it (and not just the summer school, rehearsals, classes and shows, she actually enjoyed the auditions too!). She'll be auditioning again this year on the 2nd of March. Good luck for your audition, I hope it goes well for you!

Thank you for the reassurance. Yes, its my first time to audition as my dance teacher has never told me about the auditions before and I've had to go out to find things to do myself. When I told her I was auditioning she informed me that she had known about NYB for many years and had never offered it to anybody because apparently the standard would be far too high for us valley girls. needless to say this annoyed me quite a lot as I have missed out on something I could have potentially been doing for a number of years. Wishing your DD every success in her auditioning and if I am successful I hope to maybe see you at finals:)

I wouldn't worry too much.....I'm a suburbs girl and although I often found the girls closer to London (or any of the other big cities with more opportunities in dance!)  were often more advanced I still managed to get in! They definitely look for a sound technique but coupled with the ability to perform so make sure you enjoy your audition and convey a sense of performance even if you feel nervous! I sometimes think it was to my advantage that I was quite short as girls of my own age were often 2 or 3 grades ahead of me so I would be placed with younger girls as they were probably at the same standard as me! My dd was in a similar situation last year and in her audition group she was the one on the lowest ballet grade......But she still got in! So don't be put off by what your teacher has said! 

Hi anaballerina my Dd is also a welsh dancer and although she is not going to do NYB this year has done it for the last 5 years, and she was always the only dancer from wales I believe. We know lots of the girls auditioning again this year and they are all lovely. Take into the audition a strong love for dance, personality and smile and you wont go wrong. This season they are doing something different with lots of contemporary dances and new young choreographers so the line up sounds fab.

Let me know how you get on as we have a few Nyb leotards in different sizes I wouldn't mind selling.

x

Hi anaballerina my Dd is also a welsh dancer and although she is not going to do NYB this year has done it for the last 5 years, and she was always the only dancer from wales I believe. We know lots of the girls auditioning again this year and they are all lovely. Take into the audition a strong love for dance, personality and smile and you wont go wrong. This season they are doing something different with lots of contemporary dances and new young choreographers so the line up sounds fab.

Let me know how you get on as we have a few Nyb leotards in different sizes I wouldn't mind selling.

x

Thank you so much, I'm just going to go in enjoy and dance my best and that's all I can do! I'll definitely let you all know how I get on. Thank you all for the support and encouragement I really appreciate it xx

Random question but what sort of leotards do they like you to wear in the audition? Just dark colour ones or colourful ones? I want to wear my purple one but don't want to like massively stand out haha!xx

Thank you:) think I'll wear my purple just because it's my favourite and I wore it for both my EYB and associate auditions and I did okay in those haha! I always do funny things like this xx

Just to let you know I really enjoyed the audition but the standard was massively high so I bry much doubt I got in. There were only a handful of the thirty of us not in voc school! Keep you posted when the results come out xx

Anaballerina, good for you! You'll never know unless you try. Fingers crossed for you.

Whatever the result enjoying an audition/class is so important. DD was not in vocational school when she was selected to dance with them so it's not a pre-requisite.

Good luck.

The standard was impressively high. My little DD is very tall for her age and so will perhaps have to compete with the girls a few years older than her? She is an expressive dancer so the Spanish and character part of the audition may have gone well for her. Won't be chasing the postman though :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it Anaballerina! The standard at NYB is very high, but I was never at vocational school and like I mentioned I was always a couple of grades behind most of them.....so don't rule yourself out yet! Audition experience is always a good thing whatever the outcome!

• Like 1

That's the downside of being tall I guess. Dd & a friend both went for a panto audition once. Their birthdays were one day apart but dd was dancing with 8-10 year olds whereas her friend was mostly with 10-13 year olds despite being only age 9

Neither got in incidentally. The audition was street dance & she hated it!

• Like 1

Anaballerina, my DD is also non-vocational and she got in last year. Her and her friend were in the minority that were non-vocational but their dancing was just as strong. She will be auditioning this year on 9th March, but her two friends were there yesterday morning.

I believe there are a lot more auditioning this year, DD's friend's number is in the 400's as she was quite a late application. I think there were around 150 in last years cast (correct me if I'm wrong anyone as only guessing, can't find my programme to count) but the audition info did say they are looking for a diverse set of dancers who can do different styles of dance so there maybe more places available.

Good luck everyone, its a fab experience that I would really recommend.

Thank you everyone, I'm just hoping that the panel realised that some of us were non voc so were obviously going to be weaker than those who dance all day everyday. But whatever happens I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the class xx

Hi anaballerina, my dd was also non voc when she danced with nyb. She was in fact given a part in another dance during the summer school, so they certainly don't discriminate. If I had a bottomless purse, she would definitely have auditioned again this year, it was such a lovely experience. I hope you have good news.

Glad you enjoyed the audition Anna ballerina. My DD is auditioning on the 9th for a JA part. I did wonder as the information suggests they are looking for a more diverse group of dancers this time, whether the audition reflects that? Did anyone attend on Sunday in the younger age group? Was the audition just a normal ballet class? Thanks.

Hello all.  My DD auditioned on Sunday and we received her result today and, sadly, she has not got a call back.  It was her first time doing the audition for NYB and she enjoyed it very much.  She is non vocational so it is all good experience. Good luck to all those waiting for results.

• Like 1

I am sad for you but good on you for having a go!

Maybe you could treat yourself to something now you wont be paying out for NYB?

People I know really enjoyed being with NYB but also found the commitment expected very demanding at times.

I hope you get other opportunities very soon!

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you didn't get a recall Anaballerina. The competition is really tough at NYB so don't let it get you down.There are lots of other opportunities. Have you tried EYB? There are also a lot of residential summer schools that are non audition based (I think there's a thread on here somewhere). Put it down to being good audition experience! 

I did EYB in Cardiff last summer and was awarded the full scholorship(that I was very shocked at) I was cast in a solo role in act two but the night before the show a girl in the friends role dropped out so I needed up dancing her role also:) summer school forms have been written today ready to send off. Getting a no has made me far more determined to improve:)