Recommended Ballet Summer Schools 2014

s.dancer

Going back to the ENB summer school. Note you need to send photos with the application. Just wondered how competitive it is to get a place? DD is 15 and taken Intermediate. Are they likely to be oversubscribed, so need a back-up option?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to rejoice at our place as DD2 has been accepted at the very first Summer Programme at the Vienna Opera Ballet School! Yeah!  :)  :)

Now of course since it is the first, we've got no idea if it's going to be any good... :(  :(

Any idea anyone?

• Like 10

Vienna is a lovely city.....you could all go for a holiday while DD does her course!!

When I went there I was so excited to see the Danube......it seemed such a romantic river to me at the time. But Vienna is not so good for losing weight!! They have gorgeous cakes and hot chocolate!!

Didn't get to see the ballet unfortunately as the theatre was closed when we went!!

Hope your DD has a fantastic time.....and someone has to be a pioneer sometimes..........we'll all be waiting for your feed back next summer!!

Yes CeliB' s DS is doing it this summer too. Perhaps she can help you.

actually in the end we decided against San Fran even though he was awarded a 100% scholarship (both tuition and all board - sigh) in favour of Ellison (also 100% scholarship but they only give for tuition and none available for board so it will cost us considerably more :( ) DS preferred ellison as it was more Vaganova also was offered scholarship to the 2 week Pas de Deux intensive as well as the 4 week SI.

Will feed back after he goes!

• Like 2

thank you Celib for your answer...where is she studying your dd?I really would like to know more about Ellison in Ny...my dd few years ago she did ABT in NY and she really enjoy the time there

DD is a DS (!), but anyway he's at the Kirov Academy in Washington DC. The Kirov's new Director recommended Ellison as being superb training (and rather fiercely said DS was only allowed to apply if he promised to come back to Kirov next year, so I guess she must rate it highly!). Before that I had never heard of it! But having said that i don't know much about ballet even in the UK much less in the USA (DS only starting dancing properly when he was 13).

She did also recommend ABT NY but there didn't seem to me much accomodation for younger students - the assumption seemed to be that their doting parents wuld accompany them- all very well if their doting parents have no other children, no job and yet somehow still have stacks of cash!!!! None of which apply in my case so we didn't bother to apply, and since in the edn he had the choice of a free place at ellison and a free place at san fransisco I don't think we needed another option!

If you wanted more info on san fran do you know about the USA equivalent of this web forum 'ballet talk for dancers' (http://dancers.invisionzone.com/)? their feedback on all summer intensives is extensive and arranged by programme. Worth a browse....

Can I pick your brains about two more summer schools: Central and Northern? Feel free to DM if you prefer. Thank you in advance.

My DD's experience at ENB summer school was very positive but the dates don't work for us this year. Information about deadlines, application photos, etc. is on their website. The admin staff are very helpful and DD liked and learnt a lot from her dance teachers.

Are there any other summer schools like NYB (National Youth Ballet) that focus on performance? We are big NYB fans. :)

Don't know a lot about the summer school, but my DS went to a couple of days of  the Easter school as part of his making-up-my-mind-which-offer-to-go-for exercise.

If you are considering RCS it may well be worth it from that point of view - many of the students at RCS stay for the Easter and Summer schools, and certainly the Easter school was taught by their own staff in their own rather gorgeous studios.  

Edit - we also got to meet with Kerry Livingstone, who runs the BA programme day to day, and to ask as many questions as we wanted, and whilst DS was dancing, to look round the accommodation which is about 15 minutes walk away in the centre of Glasgow.

Edited by meadowblythe
  • Like 2

Thanks Chaperone. I'll check that out.

Yes, I'd also like to know about the Northern 16+ summer school (Leeds). I didn't realize there were two Northern Ballet Schools. How confusing...

And I'm still keen to hear about Central SS if anyone can help.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know, whichever is chosen, she will probably have a great time.

Maybe Make the decision for more pragmatic reasons - cost. Timing - with school and your family holidays. location, cost again! , are auditions needed? Which leads to more... Cost!

For our DS chosen Summer school, we combine it with our family holiday to reduce the impact and cost overall. most are held in lovely places.

Hi pictures,

I feel the same about ss- so confusing and my dc school has such a long break to fill it feels like it's just not possible. This year we have limited to 1 due to annual leave and sanity reasons but dc would go for 8 if able. It's very hard to tally it up with siblings and work...

She will have a great time yes, but for the money involved we need it to serve the purpose of helping keep up/improve technique over the long holidays.

I totally agree- we have just received a late email offering DS a full scholarship to Dutch National- after we already paid deposit and flight for Ellison in New York. DS really wanted to go to Dutch but in fact Ellison is much more in line with his current training and we have to bear in mind what's best for him right now Vs where he's interested in going on graduation. Luckily he seems not too upset - and if they like him this year hopefully they will still like him next year :)

• Like 1

Hope you can find a scaravelli yoga class in your area as a real complement to ballet. I know the Astanga style is very popular and because it moves from pose to pose a lot may be the one dancers may be attracted to but scaravelli focuses more on the spine and is more creative in its approach in and out of poses etc but is slower so you have time to concentrate on what is really going on in the body and why I think it complements ballet so well!!