Recommended Ballet Summer Schools 2014

s.dancer

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about YBSS scholarships. Does anyone remember how many scholarships are awarded to the youngest children, the 9-13 years old group? Is it more like 60-80 DC auditioning for 2 scholarships or more like 20-30 children auditioning for 8 scholarships? Just wonder what the odds are, not sure if it's worth a costly visit to London to audition.

Wish22 - another possibility for your DD , although it is not residential, might be Ballet Cymru/Riverfront summer school which has a course for 15 years+ - ballet.  I don't think the details for this year are online yet but you can get a taste of what is on offer from last years information.http://www.welshballet.co.uk/education/riverfront-summer-da

Thanks for this suggestion but the fact that it's non-residential is not ideal.

Take a look at www.thedancesummerschool.com

My dd has loved it...great teachers and full on activities all night too. My dd will be helping out this year as a chaperone too! Pm me with any questions x

Thank you Guesty - this looks excellent!!!  Also the details say there is the possibility of auditioning for Royal Conservatoire of Scotland for 2015 entry which would avoid another trip North later in the year.  I will be in touch if I can think of any more questions you may be able to answer.

• Like 1

Is the Harpenden Summer School going ahead this year (2014)? The website is still all about 2013.

Hello Antonia and welcome to the forum. Yes, the Harpenden SS is (as far as I know) going ahead. If I remember rightly, the website was updated around May last year. I think the dates for this year are 18th - 22nd August. :-)

• Like 2

Hello Antonia and welcome to the forum. Yes, the Harpenden SS is (as far as I know) going ahead. If I remember rightly, the website was updated around May last year. I think the dates for this year are 18th - 22nd August. :-)

See post 28!

(Thanks Spanner)

• Like 1

Hi

Does anyone know how long Elmhurst take to select for the Summer School?  My DD wants to try for it and it would be her preference but she also likes the look of The Dance Summer School in Scotland, Yorkshire Assembly and OPES as she realises her chances are slim in being selected for Elmhurst. All the latter three require you to send a deposit with the application.  We can't afford to lose money but also don't want to be too late for the others if Elmhurst reject her application.

My daughter thoroughly enjoyed prague ballet master classes and will be going again this year.

My dd also enjoyed Prague - wish we could return....... She followed it with 2 weeks in Florence with Joffrey. Both were amazing experiences and very different. Prague had large numbers, high level of dancers and a wide variety of (excellent) teachers while Joffrey had small numbers, a lower standard of dancer in general, although 2 were from the Bolshoi school, and was very personal. Only 2 teachers (Davis Robertson and his wife Nicole Duffy).

Question about the Ballet Cymru summer school for those who have been before please..... Is it mostly fairly local students who attend, or are there lots of people from all over the place? The reason I ask, is that DD had a bad experience at another summer school previously, as most of the girls seemed to be already in groups of friends from local-ish dance schools and she was very much the outsider in being there on her own. Unfortunately some of the other girls were, well, let's just say, not very nice to her. Obviously I know that this was just bad luck and wouldn't necessarily happen again, even at the same place, but it really knocked her confidence and she's reluctant to put herself into that position again.

She's done a few workshops with Ballet Cymru and really enjoyed them, but we've never really considered the summer school with it being a long way away from us, and non residential. However, a close relative has recently moved quite near to Abergavvenny so it might be do-able this year. I guess I'm just after a bit of reassurance that she wouldn't be the only student who doesn't already have friends there? She'd be going for the 15+ ballet course.

Ballet Cymru tends to be a real mixture. There always seem to be quite a few there from relatively local schools but there are always quite a few who don't have friends there already. My DD had that experience on a previous residential ballet school but her first time at Ballet Cymru she found the local girls very friendly and made very good friends with 2 girls from elsewhere in the country and one from abroad. Last year both my DDs and a friend attended but were all in different groups because of their ages and I was a bit worried about my youngest who can be quite shy and certainly does not push herself forward for anything. But she too found local girls very friendly and made friends with people from all over the country. If your DD has done workshops with Ballet Cymru in Wales I suspect there would be a few familiar faces for her.

Thanks 2dancersmum. That's reassuring. The workshops DD has done have been local to us - when Ballet Cymru have been in our area they have run workshops for DD's dance school. I got to watch once and was really impressed. I've yet to talk to our relative about it, so it may not be feasible, but it's good to hear other people's experiences of the summer school have been good.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post????exciting

I am an Irish ballerina currently studying intermadiate foundation rad and grade 5 modern istd. I am also a member of the Irish national youth ballet. I am looking for a residential course in Britain which is good for my age and level. I am far behind because I only started ballet 2 years ago:(Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Legseleven

Oh you just made my day....... I feel like a tad less like an anxious paranoid dance Mum now! I used to be sane before dc started dancing..... I bloomin well hope my dc will become a high earning dancer (ha ha) at some stage so I can be rewarded for years of worry by gifts of trips to health spas etc to undo the damage to complexion caused by stress........

• Like 3

Hi Everyone,

This is my first postexciting

I am an Irish ballerina currently studying intermadiate foundation rad and grade 5 modern istd. I am also a member of the Irish national youth ballet. I am looking for a residential course in Britain which is good for my age and level. I am far behind because I only started ballet 2 years ago:(Any suggestions?

You could check out the RAD's Performance Course which is for Intermediate Foundation and above.

http://www.rad.org.uk/learn-to-dance/find-an-activity/performance-course

Welcome to the forum :-)

Have you read back over this thread? There might be some advice that fits your situation already, but I'm sure others will help too.

Edited to add: sorry I didn't see this last few comments on my phone when I posted :-)

Hi All,

Please help!

When a school asks for photographs what size should they be 6x4 or 7x5?

Also when they say attach passport photo here - do they mean a passport size headshot or an actual straight on, no smiling official passport photo?