upper school appraisals?

swanprincess

Hi,

I mentioned this on another thread but would be interested to hear of people's experiences regarding upper school appraisals- do the schools assess out?

Am slightly concerned that if by some miracle i do get a vocational school place for 6th form, i might be assessed out after one year??

Swan Princess - I think that like any further education course,if you do not make the grade it might be suggested that you might like to pursue something else - I know that 2 pupils were not admitted back to 6th form after their AS results this year at my son's school. If you are talented enough to secure a place you have earned it - you would only be assessed out if it proved that for some reason the course was not right for you - there are no guarantees in life! Good luck with your auditions! :)

Back in the 1980`s at Urdang at the end of the first year everyone had an assessment in front of a school panel . There was no guarantee we would all just automatically go into the second year. The same thing again for the third year. So i`m assuming, with things being even more competitive nowadays, that this is most certainly the case for most vocational post 16 places. But don`t quote me on that.

Nor our year at Elmhurst. Royal and Central often keep students back a year rather than ask them to leave.  We did hear of one though who didn't make it to 2nd year at another school. 

Edited by KathyG

At Hammond they have to pass each year to progress. As the first year is a common year if a student struggles at singing they may he directed towards the dance course & vice versa or they may be told they need to improve in the next few months.

There are occasionally some students who prove not to be suitable for vocational training who may have to leave but as I said before that's no different to any other course in any other subject at any other college.

Must admit when one of my first conversations with DS after he started at RCS was regarding assessing out.   They had been told that no one would be "surprised" by being assessed out.  This flumoxed me at  the time as I had conveniently managed to block assessment out of my mind.   Chatting to a third year when he was moving in, she said students had repeated years due to injury.  

Thinking back, I had been told that the degree is structured so that students gain academic credit for each year completed so if things didn't work out they had a paper qualification to take elsewhere.

I do hope that conversation wasn't an omen ....

I think under the regulations for the Trinity Diploma courses all students must be assessed internally at least one a year and they must pass all core subjects to move onto the next year.  Trinity are moderators and do assess some performances aswell.  I think (but not 100% sure) the final year is externally assessed for performance by the moderators from Trinity.  It is also a requirement for students to be offered a retake if they fail a core subject.

I think all students are aware well in advance what is expected of them in assessments.  Years might well be repeated due to 'failing' but I think injury would be a more likely reason.  I do wonder if finances come into it though.  Can someone hold onto a DADA if they are failing core subjects? 

Swanprincess - I don't think it is worth you worrying about at this stage however.  I am sure the vast majority of those who gain places at 6th form vocational schools and continue to work hard are able to complete their diplomas.  So keep working towards that offer of a place.

• Like 6

Swanprincess, one year at my daughter's summer school, Gillian Reevie told the story of how she was asked to leave RBS (not sure how many years she had been there) and how she somehow convinced them, I think her mum wrote letters, to allow her to stay. She was the only one in her year who ended up with a contract with the company that year. Just do your best and never give up!

My daughter is always encouraged to hear stories from dancers about their journey. Most of them have tales of hard work, rejection and intense perseverance.

• Like 1

Not quite the same but on perseverance and courage level.....a young lady taking an exam last November very slightly messed up one of the enchainements. She was so annoyed with herself that she asked the examiner if she could do it again!! The examiner said yes and this time she did it better.

She passed with honours!!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Im so sorry, i just realised i never said "thank you" for your responses on this thread!!!! So thank you all very much!! :) the schools i am looking at are Tring & Hammond for Drama, plus London Russian Ballet School, Rambert & Ballet Theatre UK school. Im sorry if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but (with the exception of BTUK as it is a new course) do these schools assess out??

If i was assessed out, would i automatically get a place at the local college that i am currently at, again?

I think both Hammond and Tring are 2 year BTECs for drama as opposed to the 3 year diplomas that come under Trinity regulations.  The drama is taken alongside 2 Alevels.  Obviously there is no DADA funding for these courses.  I doubt very much that you would be asked to leave , unless you wasted your opportunity and did not actually turn up for the majority of your classes and even then I suspect it would be more likely that it would just mean you got bad marks or failed your BTEC.

As for your local college, you would have to apply to the college at 6th form level as there are no automatic places but if you have met the normal entry criteria from your GCSE results  I would imagine you would get a place.  Certainly locally I know of people who left school at 16 and then decided A levels would be a better choice than a job and so went back.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any experience of the appraisal/assessment system at other European upper schools? My dd is interested in applying for schools in Germany, John Cranko etc, but would be interested to hear of others experiences of assessments before starting the application process.