French Open tennis

alison

Having got totally distracted by the Tribbles thread, I've finally made my way in here to ask: did anyone else see the Simon vs. Federer match this evening?  Good grief, I know I've said in the past that you should never write off Roger Federer, but even I thought he was done for today - and his Grand Slam quarterfinal streak with him.  Amazing match.

• Like 1

Yes, great stuff. I LOVE Federer. Probably my all time favourite male tennis player; Martina Navratilova being my favourite female. I`m always happy at this time of year. Once the French Open comes along you know it won`t be too long until Wimbledon.Here comes summer.!!!

• Like 2

Yes, great stuff. I LOVE Federer. Probably my all time favourite male tennis player; Martina Navratilova being my favourite female. I`m always happy at this time of year. Once the French Open comes along you know it won`t be too long until Wimbledon.Here comes summer.!!!

Here comes rain, more like!

• Like 2

I hardly follow tennis much these days.....perhaps the second week of wimbledon....but often seem to be in France visiting my friends when the French Open is on. Last year I was there for the final! My friends who both follow tennis seem to like both the finalists Nadal and Czech player(sorry name gone) and were telling me all about Nadal's superstitious habits.....which I hadn't noticed before but then couldn't stop noticing! Ive always liked Federer but after a while one does want to see some new blood!!

This year I was there during the first week and there were a couple of French players I had never heard of who are looking good but I was told they may not do well at Wimbledon because its on grass and they are better hard court(more like slippery red stuff to me) players.

• Like 1

Got the impression from Federer he wasn`t altogether "there", somehow.

His brain certainly didn't seem to be fully engaged, sadly.  There's the what seems now to be usual speculation online as to why - was his back restricting his movement again, etc. etc., which is the usual assumption when he can't serve properly.  I'll leave that to those who watch him more often and can spot these things, but it was sad to see him playing so poorly, especially since, barring Tsonga, he should have had a relatively easy route to the final.

• Like 1

The french players I had never heard of were Gael Monfils and Richard Gasquet.

And of course last year it was Nadal / Djokovic final and latter is Serbian not Czech!!

Anyway I hope Tsonga wins this year as the French haven't had a winner for a very long time and it would make my friends happy!! :)

• Like 1

A very lacklustre performance by Tsonga.  I like him very much (my daughter calls him 'the teddy bear') but he just seemed to phone in his match yesterday....and paid for it with an easy win by Ferrer. 

As for the women's final.....I'm not going to watch it as I'd rather go to London Zoo if I want to hear animal grunting and monkey screeching!

• Like 5

I suspect that the weight of expectation upon Tsonga from the French public, especially playing in Paris against an opponent who he had a good chance of beating, was overwhelming and this affected his performance. The Nadal/Djokovic match was like a gladiatorial contest. The singles match is a lonely place: you're out on the court with no-one to rely on except yourself.

• Like 2

I refer to Tsonga as a teddy bear, too!  I don't really think he ever stood a chance against Ferrer, regardless of what the French public wanted - Ferrer has been incredibly solid all tournament - I'm wondering if even Nadal will beat him.  I do really think that Tsonga was a little fortunate in the quarterfinals in that he played well and profited from Federer having a bad day for whatever reason.

And Sim, I hope you missed the Sharapova/Azarenka semifinal - almost identical screeching from both ends of the court.  I almost muted the sound, except I wanted to hear what the commentators were saying.  I gave the final a miss - decided I didn't really care one way or the other.  Think that probably applies to the men's final, too - of all the possible permutations from quarter-finals upwards, I think this one has the least possible chance of being interesting.  Long, sure, but interesting?  Hmm.

Oh well, Queen's, and the grass-court season, starts on Monday.  Yum.

• Like 3

Oh well, I suppose that at least the men's final wasn't the 5-hour slugfest I'd feared.  But the semifinal would indeed have made a better final, I think, from what I've seen of both so far.

Oh well, I suppose that at least the men's final wasn't the 5-hour slugfest I'd feared.  But the semifinal would indeed have made a better final, I think, from what I've seen of both so far.

That's often the case....it almost seems as if it's more important just to get to the final, which is then often a disappointment.  I often find that in World Cup football, too...the semis are almost always better than the final, which is often, IMHO, a damp squib.