Royal Ballet 2012-2013 season

Same for me - will definitely be going just need to know casting!!!

Why is it that companies like the RB can give us casting well in advance of booking, while ENB and BRB seem to give us this information at very short notice - makes travel very difficult!!

Exactly my thoughts!

I am disappointed that only two of the listed mixed programmes have matinees. I like the look of a lot of this season but I expect I will make it to few, if any, performances.

Re casting: I think it is probably harder for ENB and BRB to predict casting too far in advance because they tend to do blocks of performances and casting order can change frequently at short notice. BRB used to announce casting months early but it nearly always used to change by the time you got to the performance. I'm afraid the lack of casting tends to make me book more tickets! I book for when I know I can go and then book extras if there are other casts that I am desperate to see!

I expect the Royal Ballet would probably prefer to announce casting later, too: it's just that the silly system whereby you can be buying tickets 6 months ahead of a performance forces them (wherever possible) to announce it really early. They would have had far fewer problems trying to recast Polunin's performances if it hadn't been so, and on the rare occasion that someone is promoted to principal relatively unexpectedly this can leave them with virtually no shows for months until/unless casting can be changed.

I have to say, based on considerable experience in my past life, miles away from Dance, that the more one sets down detail well in advance, the more you can expect to have to change it. In consequence, I pay little attention to long-advance notice of casting - it's a statement of intent, no doubt well meant - but is in no way to be relied upon, and it is certainly not a worthy basis for later recrimination.

I'm really pleased to see Onegin again as it's one of my favourite ballets. It was a very pleasant surprise as it's not that long since it was performed. I'm always surprised more companies don't do it as it is a great ballet with 4 really good leading roles. Looking forward to seeing some dancers not seen before in it. I just wish a Uk company would do Merry Widow which is one of my favourite ballets but which I've never seen live. Every time I watch the dvd I can picture Tamara in the leading role.

I think Onegin is performed by all the "big" companies in Germany plus POB, RDB, Australian Ballet, National Ballet of Canada and SFB that I know of. Much though I adore Onegin I suspect that it could not be put on in this country by more than one company at a time. I have always been sorry that ENB let it go from their rep.

Much though I adore Onegin I suspect that it could not be put on in this country by more than one company at a time. I have always been sorry that ENB let it go from their rep.

No, it never sold well on tour, I gather - just like Manon when they did it recently. I'm not entirely sure what happened about it: they were down to dance it (Onegin, I mean) in about 2000, then it got replaced with Coppelia, and that was the end of that. And then Ross Stretton got it for the RB, so there was at least one thing I approved of during his directorship. I'm not entirely sure I could see the current ENB doing it now. anyway.