Bolshoi Ballet on tour

Ballerina speaks!

Wednesday was the last night of Le Corsaire in Brisbane.

And a long forgotten line of dialogue was reinstated in Act 1, Scene 2.

Held aloft in the arms of Vladislav Lantantrov, Maria Alexandrovna uttered the words; "I love Brisbane" !!

It was very funny, and clearly the dancers love being away from the poisonous atmosphere in Moscow at the moment.  It was a great show.  Nina Kaptsova was  Gulnare.  I had hoped to see Ruslan Skvortsov as Conrad, but Lantantov in no way disappointed.

Ratmansky and Burlaka have created a wonderful ballet with just the right amount of bravura, fun and  affection.

Look forward to Bright Stream on Friday.

More Ratmansky in September when his Cinderella premieres in Melbourne for the Australian Ballet.  Apparently this will be  a reworking the the version he made for the Mariinsky a few years ago.  I read that he wants to address the things that did not work in that production.

Edited by stucha

Held aloft in the arms of Vladislav Lantantrov, Maria Alexandrovna uttered the words; "I love Brisbane" !!

:D

This was in addition to the "all aboard!" or whatever it is Medora usually shouts, I take it?

• Like 1

What to say about Bright Stream?  Fantastic fun.  And what great actors/comedians the dancers are with such perfect timing.  And if you ever get the chance to see it with the luxury casting of Nina Kaptsova, Mikhail Lobukhin, Maria Alexandrovna, Ruslan Skvortsov and Denis Savin, and Pavel Sorokin conducting a great pit band of the quality of the Queensland Symphony Orchestra, don't miss it!  Irresistible!  Come back again Bolshoi!

“The Bright Stream” has a great success in Australia:

“Brisbane audiences should consider themselves very lucky to have had the Bolshoi Ballet land upon their shores”.

http://myhubjacquelyne.blogspot.ru/2013/06/the-bright-stream.html

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/ratmansky-reignites-romance-with-a-past/story-e6frg8n6-1226660952206

http://www.stagewhispers.com.au/reviews/bright-stream

• 1 year later...

Those who were in the audience at that Bolshoi’s performance of “La Bayadere” last year when Masha Alexandrova dancing Gamsatti had stopped after a jump and then quietly walked away from the stage would remember how she pulled herself together to come back (with the ruptured achilles) and was standing at downstage right to the very end of the act.

Her recovery took long months and she was coming back slowly, doing technically less demanding roles at first, like Carmen at a gala in Coliseum earlier this year.

Therefore, I rejoiced today when received a message from my dear Japanese friend who reported a heart warming episode, which took place after Masha’s most recent Don Q. performance with the Bolshoi in Japan:

“You know Masha is loved and respected by Japanese audience so much.  That night the theatre was full of her loyal fans, Welcome back, Masha! kind of atmosphere.  When the curtain went down, they didn't stop applauding, gave her a standing ovation - then she broke down in tears…”

How I wish I had been there too!

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 6

Unfortunately I could not attend Masha Alexandrova's Don Quixote, I have heard such things from my friends who were there. 

Here is a picture in a tweet by the promoter Japan Arts

https://twitter.com/ja_ballet/status/541132845301776384

I did see Masha in La Bayadere alongside Zakharova and Lantratov, and she was superb there, her Italian fouettes were solid and beautiful, and fouettes too. And I was very much impressed by her portrayal of the Gamzatti character, she is a princess with much dignity who is purely and deeply in love with Solor and had no intention to harm Nikiya, her acting was quite touching. 

I attended 1 Swan Lake, 2 La Bayadere and I Don Quixote this time, and I was much sure that the Bolshoi quality is very high as it has been, especially the Kingdom of the Shades was just breathtaking with 4 lamps very steep, 32 shades with very high arabesques, so ethereal. There were much changes in the cast but the tour was very successful. 

• Like 2

I am delighted to hear about Maria Alexandrova's return to her brilliant form after her injury at the ROH. I was watching again the broadcast of La Baydere in the cinema and her Gamzatti was thrilling. I hope that she continues to grace the world stage.

Naomi - great twitter pic of Maria with Vladislav Lantratov and Sergei Filin - the first Don Q I saw her dance was with Filin at the Coliseum 2007(?)  I can imagine Don Q with Vladislav now - he is TDF!!  After her injury in London I was speaking with Semyun Chudyn and he assured me that Maria is a very strong dancer (physically) and he expected a full recovery - he was right!  How I wish I had seen these latest performances!

• Like 2