To bob or not to bob?

if only!

DD toying with idea of having hair cut into a bob, (after wearing a bobbed wig for a party which her friends said really suited her... and she did look cute!) but...

ballet, buns, etc et. :wacko: 

Does anyone out there have a bob and do ballet? She's starting RBS SAs in September, do they all have buns? Or is there a magic way of putting a bob in a bun?

(At London Junior/Senior ballet uniform was really strict as was hair, so I'm guessing it's the same. The CAT scheme is not so strict on hair). Or is it a big no-no? 

it is a daft question, and a rather frivolous one at that, but I'm just curious.

Suppose I could experiment with mine, see if I can get mine up in a bun, though need to lop a couple of inches off first!

It probably depends too whether she wants a fringe straight across, which could be tricky for ballet. My dd had a fringe when she was little, and when she was about 7 or 8 she decided to grow it out as she hated having her fringe scraped back and gripped for ballet exams. :-)

Hi if only!

It all depends on the length of bob she wants. Generally if it is not too short there will be enough hair to wrap round a bun ring.

If she wants a short bob you can always scrape her hair into a small ponytail and pin a fake bun over the top of it .Hope that helps a little :)

I have a friend who's dd has very short hair, shorter than a bob and wears a very effective fakes bun. I also have a friend who's dd has very fine hair and she wears a false bun. That do look very effective I think they were found off eBay. As a hairdresser I was at first very sceptical about fake hair but they really do work .

All the SAs I know have buns.

Yep, all the girls in dd's class (and the top class too, I think) have buns. Dd has a long fringe which she twists and clips back; that looks pretty. The girls she knows don't tend to have short hair until they are older and/or are going down the Contemporary route. :-)

Dd's Associate classes get marks for grooming and the teacher is so particular she even asks for the bun to be at a certain height; she doesn't like them too low or too high.

I remember my dd saying that not only does a bun make her feel like she's properly ready to do ballet and feel like like a ballet dancer, she also said that a well placed bun in exactly the right position helps her to feel better balanced. I've known her redo buns several times in the past because it wasn't in quite the right place on her head!

• Like 2

I remember my dd saying that not only does a bun make her feel like she's properly ready to do ballet and feel like like a ballet dancer, she also said that a well placed bun in exactly the right position helps her to feel better balanced. I've known her redo buns several times in the past because it wasn't in quite the right place on her head!

I definitely agree! I really do not understand the girls who come to class trying to get a way with ponytails or plaits because they think it looks better. Without a bun I feel so untidy and also unbalanced which Is why I don't even like practising simple exercises e.g developpe at home; without a bun or leo I feel so out of place and unmotivated haha

A friend of DD's quit associates class partly because of the bun issue. She had very short hair, ear length, too short for a bun, and she got poor marks for "grooming", although she aways looked very neat with her hair swept back off her face into a hairband and clips. For her, it clarified the issue of how much she wanted - or didn't want - to become a dancer. Having her hair short the way she wanted was more important to her than conforming to the uniformity of "ballet hair" and she no longer dances.

I suppose this can become a problem, especially as girls enter their teens,when how they look is so important to them. I remember I was a hair model at Vidal Sassoon in Manchester around the same time i was at Northern Ballet School.[Aged 12 to 15 1/2]  I used to regularly get the most fantastic cut, a graduated bob, and it looked great. But for ballet lessons it was a case of, as others have said, having to scrape as much as I could back then put one of those awful,wide RAD hair bands over it. Plus when the lessons had finished my lovely bob style was all ruined with sweat and it being pulled back off my face. In the end I grew it out,and felt much happier looking like a dancer again.

I didn't want my ds to have his lovely blonde curls cut off for ja classes and resisted for as long as possible. Even though his ja teacher always commented on the length of his curls!! At times, we probably could have put his hair in a bun!! Now he's at vocational school and the curls have disappeared forever.

One thing to consider when opting for a shorter style is how low down your hairline is at the back. My hairline is very low, so it has to be pretty much shoulder length to get into a pony tail. Even though it looks as though it should easily be long enough before then, there are really short bits underneath at the back - it's kind of hard to explain sorry! But just make sure that if your DD does have a bob, that the shortest layers underneath will go into a pony tail, or else you get left with short sticky out bits of hair at the back that are nigh on impossible to disguise!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies- I wasn't sure it was a valid question to post on the forum, so thanks, (I'd like the lot but not sure I'm allowed that many likes so giving you all a collective like :)​ x16)

DD, as a result of Tulte's thread on performance advice and watching the beautiful you tube link of Polina Semionova's dance, now wondering whether she'd like to go down the low- bun, giselle-style route, although the bob idea is still lurking, (she has said she would never give up ballet for a hairdo, "it's only hair") but aren't they fickle?! 

It will be a pixie cut next...

• Like 6

DD had beautiful wavy waist length hair this time last year but was determined to have it cut into a short bob, BUT ballet was her big concern. So the morning after her last end of year show last June she had it all chopped off!! The bob was chin length and a mass of curls - she loved it and so did everyone who saw it.

When her ballet teacher saw this she raised an eyebrow - however DD had already calculated that by the time her ballet exam was due to take place (IF March this year) she would have enough hair to put into a proper bun - at the correct height and without the sticky out bits at the back (low hairline at the nape of the neck - we know what you mean pups_mum). I think her teacher wasn't convinced, however 2 weeks before the exam DD took the time to straighten her hair and put in a proper bun and her teacher was stunned at how she managed to do it. Not having curly hair, she hadn't realised that DD's hair was actually about 3 inches longer than it looked.

DD took great pleasure in getting rid of the 'sweaty' hairbands she'd been using and announced that she's never doing that again and that she just had to get short hair out of her system. So back to normal now.

• Like 6