Revamping La Bayadere to (hopefully) better suit contemporary perspectives ...

Source - An article to appear in tomorrow's NYT - https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/23/arts/dance/bayadere-revamped-indiana-university.html?searchResultPosition=1

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.  I would so love to see this succeed - especially with someone so well versed in the ballet's history as Doug Fullington involved.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Bruce Wall changed the title to Revamping La Bayadere to (hopefully) better suit contemporary perspectives ...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Source - An article to appear in tomorrow's NYT - https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/23/arts/dance/bayadere-revamped-indiana-university.html?searchResultPosition=1

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.  I would so love to see this succeed - especially with someone so well versed in the ballet's history as Doug Fullington involved.  

Thanks for this, I knew this was upcoming and have been watching developments with interest.

This also, with video.  https://operaballet.indiana.edu/events/star-on-the-rise.html

• Like 2

Isn't it interesting that these recontruction fetishists and titans suddenly go for modern/newly choreographed versions? First Ratmansky with his Coppelia at Milano, where almost every step was his own choreography, and now Doug Fullington with a kind-of-modern Bayadère. What would Sergei Vikharev have said...

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I've been paywalled, and I'm not sure if the article even mentions it, but will it be a rattlesnake hiding in the basket of flowers? 

That specific element was not mentioned - but you could tell from some of the photographs that dedicated elements of the ballet (like the spectacular drum dance) are being maintained and I'm sure with Mr. Fullington being involved that the original choreography and the core constructs of Minkus' score will be honoured in as appropriately judicious a fashion as humanly possible.  From the bits of the story that have been reported for 'Star on the Rise' it very much seems as if a flower basket segment too would be very much appropriate here.  The elements of jealousy and betrayal are clearly being built into this tale's dramatic fabric.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

No rattlesnake by the sound of things:

"In “Star on the Rise,” Chan and Fullington’s heroine, a Hollywood starlet, also makes it out alive and takes charge of her destiny. Her rival has a change of heart. This paves the way to a happy ending, celebrated, in true movie musical style, with a big dance number, a Charleston."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

No rattlesnake by the sound of things:

Think you might be surprised, Ian.  Lots of rattlers on the loose in the 1930's wild west I should have thought - even on Hollywood sound stages.  I can understand not wanting to make the heroine quite so passive .... I just hope the ending is not quite so misappropriated in terms of the strength of the heroine's character as was the case in Rojo's take on Raymonda.  That was definitely one of its weak points.  I think a 'Singing in the Rain' kind of triangle - as they suggest here - could actually work quite well - whilst maintaining the core choreographic patterns we all cherish 'La Bayadere' for.  If this is a success I wonder if they will then tackle Le Corsaire.  I'm certain Susan Jaffe will be all ears.  

How wonderful that this university has the wherewithal to fund - in terms of cash and personnel - such an exciting challenge - and to bring so many key departments together to do so.  With 68 core dancers alone that's quite an ask.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

I couldn’t read Bruce’s link but did look at Roberta’s and it says there that the Kingdom of Shades is recreated as a “stunning art deco fantasy which would make even Busby Berkerley proud” 

This could be a revamp too far and it all sounds more like musical territory than a classical ballet to me …which is absolutely fine but why not call it something else with an acknowledgment that it’s based on Bayadere story but with completely different choreography etc. 

Still the proof of the pudding will be in the eating…….

• Like 1

I missed that Jan but have watched the interview! 
It does have a different title “A Star on the Rise” ( based on La Bayadere) 

I was a little confused when they were talking about the choreography because on the one hand they said they were retaining original notation from 123 years ago but just changing some upper body movements or bringing movements more into what we would expect today. So wasn’t sure exactly what that would mean. 
Perhaps a sort of balletic musical but not really pure classical dance form. 

They used the love triangle from Singing in the Rain when talking about how they would change that but didn’t say how Nikiya would be depicted…not a temple dancer obviously …but wondered how they would choreograph her famous dance. 

It’s definitely going to have a Hollywood  musical of 20’s and 30’s era  feel anyway which I’m sure many of us here love anyway …who doesn’t love Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers ….but it depends how much of the classicism is taken out of the Dance to see if will really qualify as a “replacement” for La Bayadere. 

The way they talked about people having a good time and having to have fun at the theatre worried a bit in that ballet may be reduced to something solely as entertainment and a bit frivolous! 
We might be even more grateful to Macmillan here then….even Different Drummer …if this is the case!! 

I hope someone who is in US and follows this Forum can get to see it anyway. It will be interesting to see how it’s received. 

Look forward to seeing the production when it's done- whether in clips or if it tours or if it is streamed/broadcast. I am always up for a reboot (eg West Side Story being reboot of R&J) if it turns out to be good. 

21 hours ago, Roberta said:

Thanks for this, I knew this was upcoming and have been watching developments with interest.

This also, with video.  https://operaballet.indiana.edu/events/star-on-the-rise.html

On Roberta's link here it goes to the ballet website and says it will be streamed with this link (theirs is shorter). https://iumusiclive.music.indiana.edu/

Do you have to subscribe? Is it geo blocked? Would be interesting to see it.

Yes, Nutcracker working for me too. Looking good for Bayadere, and hopefully will be available for a while for those who can't make the broadcast on the 29th.

• Like 1

I invite all who are interested to view my webpage on Star on the Rise at https://www.dougfullington.com/star-on-the-rise. The page includes a description, synopsis, cast list, list of dances, and three essays describing our approach and process. 

Please note that the ballet indeed has its own title, Star on the Rise, as well as a subtitle, La Bayadère … Reimagined!, linking it to La Bayadère.

i have never been referred to as a reconstruction fetishist or a titan, so those terms are new to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9

For anyone new to this, a short and succinct summary of why ballet companies are seeking to ditch the stereotypes and re-invent certain classics (and parts of classics, as Peter Wright already has with Nutcracker at the Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet)  https://www.sundialpress.co/2022/05/12/la-bayadere-orientalism-racism-and-classical-ballet/

I believe the conversation around “La Bayadère” and other similar ballets—notably Scheherazade and Le Corsaire—provides the public with an opportunity to understand how artistic narratives affect cultural interpretations and dynamics. While it is not a question of canceling it altogether, the ballet cannot be excused as a product of its time. Companies must do better not only to increase diversity, but also include non-Western perspectives to their creative interpretations to create a more sensible, but overall more human and respectful approach to an art that has historically been monopolized by a distinctly Western, white, and exclusive circle. 

Thanks @Doug Fullington I look forward to further reading on this. 

• Like 2

Echoing Janet’s post above great to have info straight from the horses mouth so to speak! 
The link in Doug Fullington’s post gives a very clear and precise picture of the format of the new ballet. 
Im not absolutely sure but it looks like Nikiya’s famous dance ( as the temple dancer)…… one of the dances which thousands of aspiring dancers have ambition to perform ……has been axed so not danced or slightly adapted with different costume etc. 

Anyway this has been rewritten as a musical comedy …..so some drama and pathos in the original is bound to be lost. 
Im sure this will be a success as a musical in its own rite and I would certainly be very interested to see it myself but feel it’s not really going to be an adapted replacement for the ballet Bayadere  but a new musical very loosely based on the original. 
Can this do justice to the Kingdom of Shades scenes? 
Well I hope the score isn’t too jazzed up for this bit as it’s the marrying of the original score with the choreography especially the entry of the Shades which creates the Beauty of these scenes. 
So have to wait and see. 
An interesting venture which hopefully can stand as an alternative to the original a bit like the two Giselles we have at the moment in UK 

Returning to a point Emeralds made re film West Side Story…..well that’s got to be the film I’ve seen the most times..love it …and made me cry again recently …however it was never a re vamp of a ballet as this Bayadere is proposing ..it was based on Shakespeare’s Play and the original stage  musical also based on the play so not quite the same. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Doug Fullington said:

I invite all who are interested to view my webpage on Star on the Rise at https://www.dougfullington.com/star-on-the-rise. The page includes a description, synopsis, cast list, list of dances, and three essays describing our approach and process. 

Please note that the ballet indeed has its own title, Star on the Rise, as well as a subtitle, La Bayadère … Reimagined!, linking it to La Bayadère.

i have never been referred to as a reconstruction fetishist or a titan, so those terms are new to me.

I've looked at your website and it sounds fabulous!!  Perhaps a company in the UK would like to take it up...

• Like 1

I've just seen a post from Pointe Magazine dated 2hours ago that this production of La Bayadere has its premiere tonight at Indiana University (so that's several hours behind UK time) and a livestream is available tonight and tomorrow. I believe it's on Doug Fullington's website - click on Dpug's link in his post above and the line saying "Livestreams of each performance can be viewed here". 

I'll report back if I can catch the start of it. Hopefully not too late for UK or Germany/France/Spain viewers.

Edited by Emeralds

The livestream is working for me in the UK and presumably will remain online as with other productions.   So far, so fun!  

https://iumusiclive.music.indiana.edu/#/

Spring Ballet - Star on the Rise: La Bayadère ... Reimagined!
Marius Petipa, choreographer

Musical Arts Center | March 29, 2024 7:30 PM

Playbill 

https://operaballet.indiana.edu/events/23-24_playbills/20240329_1930_mc_Star-on-the-Rise_WEB.pdf

@Roberta thank you so much, I’d love to see this. It is not yet 6am in the UK - but when I click on Schedule I only see events coming up later today and in the future. Have the links already been taken down or am I doing something wrong? 

55 minutes ago, Geoff said:

@Roberta thank you so much, I’d love to see this. It is not yet 6am in the UK - but when I click on Schedule I only see events coming up later today and in the future. Have the links already been taken down or am I doing something wrong? 

Geoff, here is a note that Doug has put up on the American equivalent to BcoF (not sure that we are allowed to mention that name here) which will give you an answer: - 

Other performance will also be streamed (Saturday, March 30 @ 2:00 and 7:30 PM EDT), and I believe the streams (once edited) will be available for viewing on the same site for several weeks after the performances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I can understand why this issue is being discussed but am perplexed why nothing is being discussed about The Magic Flute or Cosi Fan Tutti, both regularly and recently performed at the ROH.

In the MF, the leader of the 'Freemasons', in encouraging the hero to forgo the heroine and join the brotherhood denigrates womankind as being intellectually inferior to men, a theme of the opera as I understood it, albeit unsuccessful.

In CFT, an unpleasant old rake bets the two male lovers that their loves are fickle and if they accept the wager, which they do, and follow his instructions he (the rake) will show the true nature of the women (and by the rake's lights) and women in general as being flighty and incapable of being the paragons their swains assert. 

What then follows (in the name of 'comic' opera) are a series of bizarre and unpleasant deceptions intended to make the poor and put upon heroines believe that their lovers are sent to war, killed or injured or have taken poison or (with the lovers complicit in the deception and disguised as strangers) must be slept with (?) to be restored to health.

Disregarding the music, which I appreciate many love, these misogynistic plots are far more in need of replacing than that of La Bayadere.

[I should say that I’m not a fan of Mozart and have a very limited appreciation and understanding of opera but, if there’s talk about rewriting ballet then opera should IMO, get the same treatment]

• Like 6

The plot of The Magic Flute is, indeed, a problem, not helped by the fact that the librettist seemed to switch tack about a third ot the way into Act One with the moral positions of the principal antagonists, the Queen of the Night and Sarastro, switching.

Così fan tutte is a different matter and the plot is, with respect, much more subtle than presented above. It may start from a male assumption that women are emotionally vulnerable, but, by the end, has shown that both men and women are emotionally vulnerable; that as human beings we make assumptions about relationships that are not necessarily sustainable; and that love is a complex issue. For me, it is one of the most fascinating operas in the repertoire, and there’s nothing misogynistic in the music Mozart writes for Fiordiligi in ‘Per pietà’ or ‘Fra gli amplessi.’

• Like 4

Decided not to click on at 11.30pm in the end as it would have finished after 2am and didn't want to be watching a bright screen at that hour. Might see if I can catch the matinee if that streams live successfully to my device as that would start and end at a more civilised hour UK time- 10am till around 1pm. 

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

As @Bruce Wall says, there are two further performances which it appears will also be livestreamed today and then I assume one of those will be put on the site for 'on demand viewing' as others are.  

It was all great fun, high energy and and loved the 'musical interventions' in Minkus' score especially the 'Shades scene'!  I'll certainly have another viewing today. 

Before watching I suggest the synopsis is read. 

Today 

https://24timezones.com/difference/london/indianapolis

14:00 Saturday, in Indianapolis, IN, USA is

18:00 Saturday, in United Kingdom

Indianapolis, United States time is 4:00 hours behind London, United Kingdom

Edited by Roberta

48 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Might see if I can catch the matinee if that streams live successfully to my device as that would start and end at a more civilised hour UK time

Thanks Roberta- matinee at 6pm UK time of course. Looks like an interrupted viewing as well as I have plans at 7. Maybe I'll have to wait for a recording!