Revamping La Bayadere to (hopefully) better suit contemporary perspectives ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Roberta said:

I'm checking regularly to see if the University site has the updated Bayadere to watch again; so far no.

This is from today's forum 'Links'. 

https://www.artshub.com.au/news/features/why-are-we-still-watching-la-bayadere-2717076/

I would much prefer it if you shared the links forum rather than the link!  We do like to encourage people to at least look through the links.

To share a specific post click on the three dots in the top right hand corner and select share.  The URL comes up in a box.  Copy it and paste it into the thread you want to show it in.

11 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I would much prefer it if you shared the links forum rather than the link!  We do like to encourage people to at least look through the links.

You mean... there are those who don't look at the LINKS first every day?  

🤯 (that's a 'shocked face with exploding head' emoji I gather. Not me in a tiara at all)   

I simply thought it was better to put the one link that was relevant not the entire list. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Sounds rather similar to the recent American one then …in theme at least. 
Still haven’t found a review of that one. 

I suppose as it was a student performance and Easter weekend critics decided not to watch?

I watched all three performances online and very much enjoyed it.  That based on Petipa even if re-imagined. @Doug Fullington based the choreography on Stepanov notation from c1900 when there was a revival. 

On 24/04/2024 at 19:30, Angela said:

Now this is interesting: Ballet Dortmund in Germany announces a new Bayadère for next season, "set in Hollywood in the 1920s" and choreographed by director Xin Peng Wang. Decors by Jerôme Kaplan.

https://www.theaterdo.de/produktionen/detail/la-bayadere/

English Translation of the website 

Would really like to see this! Am I right gleaning from the link - thanks Angela - that an Oct 24th Matinee is being live streamed free or have I misunderstood? 

6 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Am I right gleaning from the link - thanks Angela - that an Oct 24th Matinee is being live streamed free or have I misunderstood? 

No, I don't think so - the premiere is on Nov 1st, the "matinee" in October means an introduction talk with the choreographer and dramaturg, maybe some excerpts from the piece. In Germany matinees are really in the (French) matin, that is in the morning - the other thing we call "Nachmittagsvorstellung", which is afternoon performance.

I don't think that Dortmund Opera or Ballet ever did live streams in the past, so sorry. I'll check the reviews and the trailers in autumn and will post them.

• Thanks 1

I am sorry that people find La Bayadere offensive. I think it’s a magnificent ballet and it’s a shame it should be subject to cancel culture. Of course it is Orientalist but it’s a 19th century work! Context is everything. Good programme notes and intelligent set designs can go a long way to explain. Should we hide all Delacroix paintings because they are Orientalist? Actually, the Moroccans had a great exhibition in Rabat in 2021 about Orientalism and Delacroix was exhibited in all his glory.  No one was offended by it, Orientalism was contextualised and that was enough.  I will be going to Milan specially to see La Bayadere  in June this year. La Scala follows Nureyev’s version but the ballet is presented with integrity. I have never seen Nicoletta Manni on stage but I believe she fully deserves her title of ‘etoile’. I hope that people will come to their senses and restage La Bayadere in the UK, with all due explanations, so that we can once again enjoy it in its entirety. 

link:

https://www.teatroallascala.org/en/season/2023-2024/ballet/la-bayadere.html

Edited by Alexb244
Adding link
  • Like 15

Further to the above, may we remind everyone that personal insults, and assumptions about what others think, will not be tolerated on this forum.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether you like it or not, whether you agree with it or not. We will NOT allow people to be insulted or accused of things that have no basis in fact or knowledge just because you might disagree with it.  

We are now locking this thread to avoid any further personal attacks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1