Swan Lake - 9 year old first ballet?

Hello everyone 

Looking for some thoughts/views.

My just 9 year old son has started asking me if he can go and see a ballet. He is very into drama and does ballroom dancing but has never been to see any dance ( other than in musicals). 

I’m keen to take him whilst he is keen so looking at current season. I’d love his first ballet to be at ROH as he’d enjoy the whole experience ( and I’m lucky to have a voucher!). 

I’m wondering about taking him to Swan Lake? Slightly nervous though about its length as I don’t want to put him off (in my mind I’d have thought of nutcracker or Giselle). I think he wants to see something ‘classical’ and he’s very into beautiful costumes. 

Any thoughts ( appreciate I’m over thinking this most likely in my tbh complete excitement that he might get into ballet!)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Hello everyone 

Looking for some thoughts/views.

My just 9 year old son has started asking me if he can go and see a ballet. He is very into drama and does ballroom dancing but has never been to see any dance ( other than in musicals). 

I’m keen to take him whilst he is keen so looking at current season. I’d love his first ballet to be at ROH as he’d enjoy the whole experience ( and I’m lucky to have a voucher!). 

I’m wondering about taking him to Swan Lake? Slightly nervous though about its length as I don’t want to put him off (in my mind I’d have thought of nutcracker or Giselle). I think he wants to see something ‘classical’ and he’s very into beautiful costumes. 

Any thoughts ( appreciate I’m over thinking this most likely in my tbh complete excitement that he might get into ballet!)

How lovely!  I think Swan Lake would be a great ballet to start with.  Beautiful music, costumes, sets and of course, dancing!  Nutcracker would have also been good but you have missed it.  I think that SL would be more suitable for a first ballet than Giselle is.  If he likes SL, you can then try him with ENB's Giselle next season (coming back to the Coli).  

• Like 2

Thanks Sim

I think I will book - as he does ballroom he is very interested in the choreography and suspect he will want to watch the feet so just need to find a good view seat now! Suspect this will be an expensive trip but worth it if it opens the world of ballet watching to him ( fingers crossed!). 

• Like 1

How wonderful.  I think you will both have a fantastic experience.  

Your post has taken me back to my first experiences as a child (similar age) going to see ballet in a theatre with my mother.  I adored the whole thing … getting smartly dressed (not totally necessary then or now), the journey, the tickets, the glossy programme, the awe of the beautiful foyers and the auditorium, sitting on the edge of my seat as the lights went down, being stunned by the production … lights, costume, music, and the dancing.   It was love at first sight.    

After that, and because we could only afford one or two visits per year, we’d discuss the future programme and which shows to book. Special times.

I hope it works out for you too.   

• Like 5

As a way to introduce children to live ballet you might consider:

English National Ballet and English National Ballet School’s

My First Ballet: Swan Lake

4 – 13 April 2024 at Sadlers Wells 

followed by a visit to the Royal Ballet in May or June to see the full length production if your son is hooked. ENB are also doing Swan Lake in the Round at the Royal Albert Hall in early June. 

• Like 5

I think, other than Nutcracker, SL is the most suitable classical ballet intro for children, especially if already into some form of dancing.  Wonderful music, traditional costumes and lots of visual interest apart from the 'pure' dancing.  Hope he has a wonderful time.

I took my nephew when he was aged 10 and he loved it. A good view is really essential though....as was food in the intervals....

He is now grown up and taking his girlfriend! 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, PeterS said:

a visit to the Royal Ballet in May or June to see the full length production

the current Royal Ballet version does have the joyful Act 1 mixed corps dancing and virtuoso solo display by Benno in front of the Palace gates. This is followed soon afterwards by Siegfried's melancholy solo before he heads to the woods & lake and the stage is flooded with (female) swans.  The Act 3 Palace scene also has plenty of dancing by couples and solos before the Black Swan and Siegfried solos & pas de deux increase the intensity.  As such, your son will see that there is much of interest beyond the swans.

@Beaker If you don't already know it, virtuoso male dancers feature in Forsythe's 'Playlist' (Track 1, Track 2) which contrasts ballet classicism and athleticism with the beats of neo-soul and house music.  Choreographed for ENB.  it is simply inspiring for any young male dancer and is available on the interweb.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

followed by a visit to the Royal Ballet in May or June to see the full length production if your son is hooked. ENB are also doing Swan Lake in the Round at the Royal Albert Hall in early June. 

Thanks so much Peter - this looks great 

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Thanks so much Peter - this looks great 

They are lovely shows but the reason I didn't suggest it is that it is for younger children.  If your boy is 9 and already into dance of some form, I think the grownup version would be fine.  My first ballet was Nutcracker when I was 4, then Swan Lake when I was also about 9.  Loved both and thus began my lifelong passion!  Please let us know how you get on.  If you can get a seat in the front of the Grand Tier, Balcony or Amphitheatre that would be great as you don't have to worry about being blocked by any heads in front of you.  Good luck!

• Like 2

The grown up Swan Lake will probably be more interesting for a 9 year old. We've taken 7 year olds (boys as well as girls) to see Swan Lake- no problem with the length or attention span. Nutcracker was also great - particularly because of the Battle Scene! Giselle didn't click with the kids under 12.....they fell asleep! La Fille mal gardée (when Birmingham Royal Ballet bring it to Sadler's Wells next autumn) was also very popular with the 8-11 year olds. 

As others have mentioned, the kids were  happiest sitting upstairs (whether Amphitheatre, Balcony or Grand Tier) where you get a more panoramic view of all the action and not just the dancers in the front. The stalls were not popular until they were about 15 or 16 and had grown as tall or taller than the adults! 

Edited by Emeralds

Yes I would have loved to take him to Fille ( ideally with Nunez dancing 😁).

I think I will try and get stalls circle A ( and use the voucher I have as a gift). As a shortie this is where I like to sit and as mentioned he will want to see the feet I’m sure. 

Tbh I will enjoy it even if he doesn’t so at least there’s that!

4 hours ago, PeterS said:

Taking a child to ENB's My First Ballet is an excellent starting point.

• Like 1

Yes if you can do both I would suggest the ENB as a starter and he might identify with the younger dancers more. However if you can only do one trip right now then a good seat at ROH ( as you are suggesting) would be fine. 

Swan Lake is a very good choice, no hesitation, chiefly with the luxurious RB production and its amazing corps de ballet!

At around the same age my parents took me to see Nutcracker (it was in Edinburgh): I didn't like it: too "childish", my reaction was "this is for girls!" (LOL, typical reaction of a 9-y old boy from those days, the 1970s...)

Then they took me to see Giselle: I preferred it to Nutcracker, but still did not really enjoy it. Then I saw Swan Lake and I loved it from the first to the last minute.

Also, a few years ago I invited friends to the RB with their two sons. One of them was 7 y-old. It was McMillan' Romeo & Juliet (with Osipova). He absolutely went crazy for the show. You might be surprised, but R&J with its duels, passion, theatrical tension, chiefly with the RB production and amazingly synchronized corps de ballet, is the perfect ballet for a 9-y old boy, much more than Nutcracker! 5 years after, this son of my friends still remembers that performance as unforgettable, and is now a regular spectator of ballets! (accompanied by his parents of course)

• Like 6

I can actually imagine that about R&J @Paco - and I truly fell in love with ballet via MacMillan. Also because he does acting (his other request has been to go and see Shakespeare this year). He’s quite into embracing what would have been termed his ‘feminine’ side in times gone by so luckily don’t have to worry about him finding anything ‘too girly’ ( my eldest is the compete opposite and most definitely would not go to the ballet!)

As a complete aside ballroom and Latin has been fab for a boy like him - lots of spangles and sparkles, but boys a rare commodity so much admired by all the girls! And some really great role models in the dance teachers - particularly the males.  It is also incredibly complex with steps and everyone having their own individual version of each dance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Also because he does acting (his other request has been to go and see Shakespeare this year)

Northern Ballet are dancing R&J at Sadlers Wells and around the country on and off until the end of the year. Highly recommended

• Like 2

My son is a similar age and has had no problem sitting through anything we’ve seen.  He saw the ENB Nutcracker as his first ballet (also aged 9), but Sleeping Beauty a few months later was his first RB ballet and he loved it - so much so that he’s subsequently seen Cinderella, Don Q, Giselle, RB Nutcracker and suggested we go to see NYCB despite not fancying the program as it’s a great opportunity to see them!  It’s bankrupting me.  I would maybe opt for a matinee though as I find evening performances can be a bit of a struggle for him, though having said that, he loves Vadim and we could only get an evening Swan Lake this time.  It sounds like your son will love Swan Lake and I think he’s old enough for the grown up version as long as the synopsis is explained beforehand.

• Like 3

I developed my passion for ballet when I went to see Swan Lake at the age of 5.  It very much depends on the child, of course, but if he has asked to go, then I would say it is perfect for him..  

Incidentally, as an introduction for adults who know very little about ballet, SL is probably too "balletic".  I always think that something much more dramatic is better for them.  Romeo and Juliet is an excellent choice, I think.  

• Like 3

Our youngest daughter was five and went to see La Fille Mal Gardée at the Festival Hall. I told both of our daughters that if they both misbehaved that would be the last time we took them to the theatre. My youngest daughter was normally well behaved but our oldest daughter has ADHD and I was apprehensive. They both behaved beautifully and our youngest daughter was in a trance afterwards. 

• Like 2

I think R&J is a great ballet to introduce to that 10-18 age group who are not in any way involved with Dance otherwise but if part of a family where there are keen ballet goers. Don’t think there will be too many moans if taken to see that!! 

• Like 1

I have 3 grandchildren, with available choice being BRB's offerings at their local theatre.

For the eldest, it was any dance with classical type music.

The middle one, untouched by any of the standard fare, but a visit to ROH and a Wayne McGregor triple, yes!

The youngest, dance and drama and music, and at age 6 totally immersed in, gripped by, Romeo and Juliet, reenacted next day with her dolls. And, at a subsequent Fille mal Gardee, captivated by Alain and the love of his life, his red umbrella.

They are all different, ready for different things at different ages. You have to know the child, and even then they can still surprise you.

• Like 1

I agree with @Mary that snacks are a must, maybe even something with a little bit of sugar for the final push as the evening stretches on.

I went to lots of full length ballets as a kid and if your little one has an interest in dance they’ll certainly enjoy it! Triple bills are also a good idea as they can have some very exciting movement and music for younger audience members. ENB are bringing back Playlist EP next year and I would highly recommend it.

Posted (edited)

What he particularly wants to see is a ballet to Stravinsky - in particular the Firebird - as he studied the music a bit at school and really loves it - which did surprise me!

It has been a long time since I’ve seen it ( think it might even have been 2009 with Benjamin/Watson). 

Edited by Beaker

Like many others I think the RB's current production  of Swan Lake will be fine for your son, Beaker, as it has plenty of variety so there's little likelihood of him getting bored - plus great music and a lot of different costumes.

I was taken to the ROH for the first time to see The Sleeping Beauty at age 8 but I had already seen Ballet Rambert triple bills when it was a classical company and had been taking class since the age of just under four so I did have a little idea of what to expect.

On 07/03/2024 at 16:41, Beaker said:

I can actually imagine that about R&J @Paco ..... Also because he does acting (his other request has been to go and see Shakespeare this year). 

I'd recommend taking him to see Northern Ballet's Romeo and Juliet at Sadler's Wells,  which is being performed during the late May half term (which includes Bank Holiday Monday) which I think is quite close to Shakespeare's text and has the sword fights that boys and aspiring actors find fascinating. Coincidentally Royal Ballet is dancing The Winter's Tale at half term as well at Royal Opera House.

Both productions are very good- if you can only get to one I'd pick NB's R&J, if you can get to two then I'd take him to both. The priced for Northern Ballet are lower than ROH and prices for Winter's Tale are lower than for RB's Swan Lake. So then it's also a matter of deciding whether you want to go in March/Easter school holidays for Swan Lake or half term for R&J/Winter's Tale, depending on school exams if any, other plans/commitments. etc. 

• Like 1