MacMillan Triple bill info

12 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Does Different Drummer have elaborate scenery that requires a half hour interval on either side of it?

I remembered (although it was a long time ago now) not particularly elaborate sets and props although they had them. From the kennethmacmillan.com official  website (NB the current Andrea Chenier is a newer, different production with different designs) : -

A programme note read: "Kenneth MacMillan wishes to thank Yolanda Sonnabend for her contribution to the creation of this ballet.” But five days before the premiere MacMillan made a decision to abandon her designs and kept only her costumes. Instead Different Drummer was performed on an almost bare stage stripped back to a few flats with the decor from the opera Andrea Chenier, then in production at Covent Garden, decked around the walls, while a large bath stood centre stage.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks @Emeralds. It doesn't sound like the 2 half hour intervals are actually required for scene changes then. In which case I wish they'd lop 5-10 mins off each of them so it finishes a bit earlier!

I agree! 

32 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks @Emeralds. It doesn't sound like the 2 half hour intervals are actually required for scene changes then. In which case I wish they'd lop 5-10 mins off each of them so it finishes a bit earlier!

I agree!

I can't comment on Different Drummer at all, so nothing re scenery: the last programme contained only articles on the music and on Büchner and Woyzeck :(

• Like 1

To be honest I don’t know how people drink in an interval anyway as would have to down it pretty quickly really not very relaxing at all. I only drink water at theatre shows in intervals but may be a cup of tea before! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

Well glasses of champagne are small...

I imagine this is a major revenue source for the ROH, and so having a reasonable length break even in triples is important to them. 

• Like 2

On 19/03/2024 at 13:25, Dawnstar said:

Several cast changes for Danses Concertantes & Requeim have appeared on the ROH website:

Isabella Gasparini is replacing both Anna-Rose O'Sullivan & Mayara Magri in Danses Concertantes and is therefore dancing all 6 performances.

Melissa Hamilton is replacing Marianela Nunez on 20th, 4th & 9th. Isabel Lubach is replacing Nunez on 22nd & replacing Hamilton on 13th.

Magri, Nunez & O'Sullivan are all still currently listed for their upcoming Swan Lake performances so it'll be interesting to see if they all still do those or not.

Magri just posted from her last rehearsal for Swan Lake so seems like it isn't an injury for her - perhaps just workload management. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

Well glasses of champagne are small...

I imagine this is a major revenue source for the ROH, and so having a reasonable length break even in triples is important to them. 

At 18 quid, I'm not surprised.  I remember people on here complaining when the price went up to £7!  It may of course not be the same champagne.

I can imagine Magri needing to protect herself before tomorrow for SL but seems a shame she has been taken out of the whole run of triples…well all six performances!! 
Maybe it was easier if rehearsal times weren’t working out though to put replacement in. 
I seem to remember Isabel Lubach taking some leads in the student show in her graduation year. 

26 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

Magri just posted from her last rehearsal for Swan Lake so seems like it isn't an injury for her - perhaps just workload management. 

Marianela posted rehearsing Swan Lake on her Instagram yesterday as well, so could be workload management for her as well? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that's fair enough. I'm guessing that this will be quite a gruelling triple to prep for based on some of the things the originators said at the insight.

I'm sure that the Ashton will be equally pressured, so a long run of Swan Lake is probably not the best mix from a casting/prepping perspective, although lovely to have so many things I want to see so wouldn't want them to change things! What could have been more helpful all round is fewer Swan Lake casts and making it an either/or.

Having said that, delighted it gives the gorgeous first soloists a much deserved opportunity to shine - as well as to see what Isabel Lubach is made of!

47 minutes ago, alison said:

At 18 quid, I'm not surprised.  I remember people on here complaining when the price went up to £7!  It may of course not be the same champagne.

Actually the ROH lowered the 'quality' of the champagne generally on offer following the pandemic without changing the prices to match. They also reduced the availability of half bottles I guess to increase the amount of single glass sales (which have a higher margin). They also have different availability depending on which bar you use. Someone somewhere in the ROH has clearly been thinking about how to profit most from attendees taste champagne!

42 minutes ago, EVWS said:

Marianela posted rehearsing Swan Lake on her Instagram yesterday as well, so could be workload management for her as well? 

If this is the case, I think it's very shoddy of the RB/KOH tbh. You should have considered workload when you were planning your season and the casting for this came out very late giving you even more time to consider this issue. I think putting the big names to performances and then removing them is something you should avoid as much as is possible, even if you add all the caveats around no refunds for cast changes, you know its why many people buy for certain performances. I am curious about whether the poor sales has played into this decision too, albeit we will never know. 

• Like 2

I must say I'm puzzled that Nunez has been taken out as she's danced the role many times and knows it well- the difference is that her previous partners in the ballet are different: Watson, Bonelli, Kish et al are no longer with the company. It could be rehearsal clashes- they need to rehearse Requiem in a group for the group lifts and other moves and it could be that they're running simultaneously and clashing with Swan Lake rehearsals. If so that's very unfortunate.

That would explain why Sarah Lamb is not affected- her Swan Lakes are end of April and in May; Lauren Cuthbertson is also unaffected as she isn't doing Swan Lake any more- replaced by Fumi Kaneko. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I can imagine Magri needing to protect herself before tomorrow for SL but seems a shame she has been taken out of the whole run of triples…well all six performances!!

Magri wasn't due to be dancing the first 3 performances of the triple though; her first performance wasn't until 4th April. I suppose there could have been an issue with her doing the rehearsal today & SL tomorrow but then surely that could have been worked round by her just not doing the rehearsal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is always possible that there are other, as yet unannounced changes in the mix. What is certain is that the RB dancers are very busy at the moment without much leeway to accommodate illness and injuries.

All of tonight’s main substitutes (Isabella Gasparini; Francisco Serrano; Melissa Hamilton) were terrific.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Naomi M said:

Yuhui Choe has posted that she is out from MacMillan and the rest of season as she is expecting her second child. 

I was thinking of her today (yesterday...) and wondering where she was!

How lovely for her. 

• Like 3

After I saw her as the Rose Fairy at the beginning of January I wondered if she might be expecting again, as in some of my curtain call photos she looked like she might be. So I'm not surprised to hear that she is!

P1680033-2.jpg

• Like 6