MacMillan Triple bill info

39 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh, are they whores in different drummer, then?

Yes. Not harlots. Those are different. 

In Different Drummer, as if the point hadn't already been hammered home, the character of Woyzeck is accompanied by an alter-ego wearing a crown of thorns. At times, as in a corps de ballet sequence featuring men in gas-masks partnering whores (anyone with frizzy hair in a MacMillan ballet is a whore), the metaphors come so thick and fast you lose track completely.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2008/feb/10/dance.shopping

• Like 1

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Roberta said:

I hadn't looked at the casting, that's probably the reason then he chose not to do that as his final performance.  Wise choice to do Manon.

If I was in that position then I'd certainly rather finish with playing a nice leading character than an unpleasant supporting one!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

If I was in that position then I'd certainly rather finish with playing a nice leading character than an unpleasant supporting one!

Especially in a ballet I suspect most people won't like! Though who knows, time may have made it more palatable. Meaty role for whoever, Edward Watson is no longer dancing of course, though I suspect he's coaching. 

Which is why I really can't understand why it seems to have been cast based on Marie, rather than Woyzeck.  I'm hoping that Watson has been coaching: his cast was rather more convincing than the other one.

• Like 2

Surely Wayne Eagling, on whom the role was created, should be coaching? One does wonder sometimes about their coaching decisions when there are so many excellent retired dancers around who worked with our great choreographers? I saw six performances in a week once, with song of the earth. Not an experience I’d wish to repeat.

• Like 4

I have no idea who is coaching; Edward Watson, who has danced the role, is employed by the company as a coach (officially répétiteur to the principal dancers) so it makes sense he would have input. 

Interesting casting actually for the triple. It's certainly one way of keeping principals busy without being too taxing while there's a run of Swan Lake, following on from Manon.  I was surprised to see Vadim Muntagirov cast in DC, and Frankie Hayward and Marcelino Sambe get the cine broadcast for DD (also so would Alex Campbell had he not been leaving, Francisco Serrano gets it instead). 

I think Requiem will be well received, looking at who is dancing. 

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Suffolkgal said:

Surely Wayne Eagling, on whom the role was created, should be coaching? One does wonder sometimes about their coaching decisions when there are so many excellent retired dancers around who worked with our great choreographers? I saw six performances in a week once, with song of the earth. Not an experience I’d wish to repeat.

I saw a photo of Reece Clark on instagram being coached in Different Drummer by Wayne Eagling this week.
It was posted by ”dancersdiary” but on the stories so only available for 24hrs 

Edited by EVWS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last time I saw Danses concertantes was in 2003 when the bill was DC/The Judas Tree/Gloria. Clearly very similar thinking behind the programming this time!

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, alison said:

Have you got the cast sheet, bridiem?  I'm recalling Rojo, Kobborg, and possibly Cojocaru and/or Benjamin.

I haven't got the full cast sheet, but for the evening I saw it my abbreviated record lists the cast as 'Morera, Sasaki and company' in DC, Mukhamedov, Watson, Harvey and Galeazzi in Judas Tree, and Acosta, Tapper and Urlezaga in Gloria.

Edited by bridiem
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Beaker said:

I’m pretty sure I saw Morera dance DC with Kobborg in that triple as one of the casts @alison

Yes she did, I have the cast list for one of their performances.  Sadly, I was too ill to attend that night and gave the ticket to my sister, who bought me a programme 😭.

Edited by OnePigeon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OnePigeon said:

Yes she did, I have the cast list for one of their performances.  Sadly, I was too ill to attend that night and gave the ticket to my sister, who bought me a programme 😭.

I’m not sure if that is kind or not @OnePigeon

It was one of my first times at the ROH - but I recall even as a newbie I enjoyed Morera so went and looked at the programme to remember who she was. 

Edited by Beaker

21 hours ago, Beaker said:

I’m not sure if that is kind or not @OnePigeon

It was one of my first times at the ROH - but I recall even as a newbie I enjoyed Morera so went and looked at the programme to remember who she was. 

🤣 it was kindly meant, but I was particularly gutted to miss Mukhamedov in the Judas Tree and I never got the chance to see him in it.  I only started going to the ballet around that time too and caught the very end of his career, but I’m so glad I was just in time to witness several great performances (including his final Mayerling, which has never been surpassed for me.)  I bet Morera was wonderful in DC too. 

• Like 1

Several cast changes for Danses Concertantes & Requeim have appeared on the ROH website:

Isabella Gasparini is replacing both Anna-Rose O'Sullivan & Mayara Magri in Danses Concertantes and is therefore dancing all 6 performances.

Melissa Hamilton is replacing Marianela Nunez on 20th, 4th & 9th. Isabel Lubach is replacing Nunez on 22nd & replacing Hamilton on 13th.

Magri, Nunez & O'Sullivan are all still currently listed for their upcoming Swan Lake performances so it'll be interesting to see if they all still do those or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have forgotten which thread this was on but there was a recent discussion about the number of non-principals in principal roles and so although it may be just a case of who is available and fit, it is Interesting that all those replaced are principals and all the replacements are not.

I have always rather liked Lubach as a dancer but she is a massive change from Nunez (possibly the most established principal to a first artist). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Several cast changes for Danses Concertantes & Requeim have appeared on the ROH website:

Isabella Gasparini is replacing both Anna-Rose O'Sullivan & Mayara Magri in Danses Concertantes and is therefore dancing all 6 performances.

Melissa Hamilton is replacing Marianela Nunez on 20th, 4th & 9th. Isabel Lubach is replacing Nunez on 22nd & replacing Hamilton on 13th.

Magri, Nunez & O'Sullivan are all still currently listed for their upcoming Swan Lake performances so it'll be interesting to see if they all still do those or not.

Isn't Magri supposed to be dancing in SL on Thursday for the invited audience?  If she is already being replaced in the triple, I can't see that she can dance a three-act ballet in 48 hours' time.  But who knows?  And with the season Melissa is having, maybe this will finally convince Mr O'Hare to promote her to Principal...but again, what do I know?!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Isabella Gasparini is replacing both Anna-Rose O'Sullivan & Mayara Magri in Danses Concertantes

My immediate reaction on seeing that was "Wow, that's clever, replacing two people in the same performance", but then I checked the casting :)

I've no idea whether these are down to injury, illness (probably not, given the time span), performance clash or what, but I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

I have forgotten which thread this was on but there was a recent discussion about the number of non-principals in principal roles and so although it may be just a case of who is available and fit, it is Interesting that all those replaced are principals and all the replacements are not.

I have always rather liked Lubach as a dancer but she is a massive change from Nunez (possibly the most established principal to a first artist). 

I suppose with 3 female Principals all being replaced at once there aren't enough other Principals to replace them. Gasparini doing all 6 performances of Danses Concertantes might indicate a lack of potential replacements. Presumably Hamilton can't replace Nunez on 22nd because she's doing that gala in Singapore on 23rd & 24th.

9 minutes ago, Sim said:

Isn't Magri supposed to be dancing in SL on Thursday for the invited audience?  If she is already being replaced in the triple, I can't see that she can dance a three-act ballet in 48 hours' time.  But who knows?  And with the season Melissa is having, maybe this will finally convince Mr O'Hare to promote her to Principal...but again, what do I know?!

I suppose it depends if Magri's being replaced due to injury or for some other reason. She's still down for SL at the moment but then the ROH website isn't always updated consistently.

• Like 1

BTW, I can't speak so much for the other ballets, but I meant to say that in my book Requiem benefits from being seen from a more elevated position so that you can see the patterns better.

• Like 2

Anna-Rose O'Sullivan has just posted on her Instagram stories (only available for 24hrs) that she's "out for a little bit of time to heal an injury" - hopefully nothing too serious! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I’m so disappointed.  I couldn’t get any tickets for Nunez in Swan Lake as they sold out so quickly and now I won’t be seeing her on Friday either - I hope she’s ok.  I’m afraid to say don’t even know who Lubach is and I’ve never heard of her before.

• Like 1

Sorry we posted the same info at the same time, @Dawnstar- I did check beforehand but I think you just have faster fingers than I do! 😀 Anyway it doesn't hurt to have the information in 2 locations in case some readers are checking only 1 thread for updates. Thank you for checking the Swan Lake casting too. 

@OnePigeon, don't forget Marianela Nunez's Swan Lakes on 1 & 6 April will still be on Friday Rush and returns often come back. If it's any consolation, the Agnus Dei and other principal roles  of Requiem are nor big or long ones (it's only one ballet out of three and they have to divide up stage time with other soloists) so you might want to consider booking to see Nuñez in Swan Lake or The Winter's Tale (7, 13, 22 May- all weekdays for TWT; don't know if that will be a problem). Isabel Lubach is a First Artist now and has danced some solo roles- her Arabian in Nutcracker was very good this season. 

Am still a bit puzzled that Naghdi and Kaneko aren't being asked to be in the MacMillan as replacements or otherwise, as they're excellent MacMillan dancers but I presume/hope there are good reasons. Wishing Anna Rose O'Sullivan a speedy recovery from her injury. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Hmm, just looked at the advertised running time of 2 hrs 45 minutes on the ROH website.  If my maths isn't wonky, we're actually talking at rather nearer 3 hours.

• Thanks 1

The breakdown of the ballets (30, 45, 40) and intervals (30, 30) brings it to 2h 55 minutes, not 2h 45 minutes. That's a very optimistic definition of "approximately" they are using. 😄 

• Like 1

I saw ROH were advertising the 40% discount for the Macmillan triple on IG earlier today. I've never done so before, but I cancelled my existing ticket in the balcony for one in the grand tier and saved myself about £40.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, MJW said:

I saw ROH were advertising the 40% discount for the Macmillan triple on IG earlier today. I've never done so before, but I cancelled my existing ticket in the balcony for one in the grand tier and saved myself about £40.

I should just add that £40 will inevitably be spent on an extra ticket for something else in the future!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, alison said:

Presumably still on the top prices only?

After quick random check on the seating plan - looks like it only applies to the 27th (which is the date I was going on anyway) and applies to the £110 and £104 price bands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1