PRESS RELEASE - LONDON CITY BALLET ANNOUNCES RETURN TO SADLER’S WELLS IN AUTUMN THIS YEAR

QiZCX0JsdWVfUkdCLmpwZw==

PRESS RELEASE – Thursday 18 January 2024

Youtube: londoncityballet / Instagram: thelondoncityballet / www.londoncityballet.com 

LONDON CITY BALLET ANNOUNCES RETURN TO SADLER’S WELLS IN AUTUMN THIS YEAR

• FOLLOWING A NEARLY 30 YEAR HIATUS, LONDON CITY BALLET WILL RETURN TO ITS FORMER HOME AT SADLER’S WELLS FROM 11-14 SEPTEMBER

• INTERNATIONALLY CELEBRATED BALLERINA ALINA COJOCARU WILL JOIN THE COMPANY AS A GUEST ARTIST

DancersAlinaCojocaruandAlvaroMadrigalforLondonCityBalletphotocredit_photographybyAsh.thumb.jpg.486afd6ccba7996561a47e9ae83e8368.jpg

Dancers Alina Cojocaru and Alvaro Madrigal, photo credit: photographybyAsh

The London City Ballet has today announced a return to Sadler’s Wells from 11-14 September.

After a hiatus of almost 30 years, the international company of dancers will present a programme of acclaimed works including the revival of Kenneth MacMillan’s 1972 one-act ballet Ballade, unseen in Europe for over 50 years, featuring internationally celebrated ballerina Alina Cojocaru as a guest artist for the Sadler’s Wells season.

LarinaWaltz(ChoreographerAshleyPage_Dancers_AycaAnilMischaGoodman).thumb.jpg.b9a12e754026783f58b8005d9e0d77ba.jpg

Dancers Ayca Anil and Mischa Goodman:  Larina Waltz by Ashley Page

Ashley Page’s Larina Waltz marks the ballet’s 30th anniversary, and Olivier award-winner Arielle Smith premiere’s a new work. Eve, a full company work by Christopher Marney, which premiered at Sadler’s Wells in 2022 will close the evening. At selected venues on the company's international tour the pas de deux from Kenneth MacMillan's Concerto will also be performed.

Creation(ChoreographerArielleSmith_Dancer_HarryAlexander).thumb.jpg.757223443f799b0af1ad83408f0a669d.jpg

Dancer Harry Alexander: Creation by Arielle Smith

The comeback performances in 2024 pay homage to the Company’s roots in the form of rarely-seen archival footage. Artistic Director Christopher Marney has spent two years rebuilding London City Ballet with historical insights from its early pioneers.

Full details of London City Ballet’s tour this year, including international dates, will be announced soon.

Eve(ChoreographerChristopherMarney_Dancers_KanikaSkye-CarrAlvaroMadrigal).thumb.jpg.a09ea49ef038c72dadf4a3369b4d5e92.jpg

Dancers Kanika Skye-Carr and Alvaro Madrigal:  Eve by Christopher Marney

Credit: photographybyAsh

Important dates: 

SADLERS WELLS 2024 PERFORMANCES:

Wed 11th Sept: 7:30pm

Thurs 12th Sept: 7:30pm

Fri 13th Sept: 7:30pm

Saturday 14th: 2:30 & 7:30pm.

Tickets: £15 - £65 

For queries contact info@londoncityballet.com

On sale dates

Patrons

19/01/24 

Rehearsal Members

22/01/24 

Members

24/01/24 

Public 

26/01/24 

London City Ballet
London City Ballet is a touring company of international dancers presenting engaging stories through dance to audiences across the world. Alongside creating newly commissioned work by upcoming, plus established, Choreographers and emphasis will also be on resurrecting older works that may no longer be in the mainstream repertoire. London City Ballet strive to present engaging and entertaining works whilst ensuring the history which came before them is not forgotten.  

The original iteration of the company closed in 1996 having formerly been the resident company of Sadler’s Wells, and internationally recognised as one of the world’s leading dance collectives, patronised by Diana, Princess of Wales. It was sensitively reformed in 2023 after a 30-year hiatus, under the Artistic Direction of Christopher Marney. 

London City Ballet’s inaugural tour begins in summer 2024 in the UK and internationally.  The first tour of the new company will present acclaimed works including the revival of Kenneth MacMillan’s 1972 one-act ballet Ballade unseen in Europe for over fifty years, and a new commission by Olivier-award winner Arielle Smith. 

The inaugural 2024 tour will pay homage to the company’s early beginnings, shining a bright light on a new legacy.  

Christopher Marney
Chris is a Choreographer, Teacher and former Artistic Director of the Joffrey Ballet Studio Company Chicago and Central School of Ballet in London

As a dancer Chris worked internationally for Balletboyz, Gothenburg Ballet Sweden, Ballet Biarritz France, Bern Ballet Switzerland and Matthew Bourne’s New Adventures where he has danced many principal roles around the world. 

During his time in these companies he performed in works by choreographers William Forsythe, Jiri Kylian, Nacho Duato and John Cranko to name a few. He danced with the Michael Clark Company in The Rite of Spring and Les Noces and his final performance in 2017 was with Ivan Putrov’s Men in Motion where he danced the Faun in Nijinsky’s L’Apres Midi d’un Faun. 

The Critics Circle National Dance Awards nominated him for Outstanding Performance in Modern Dance two years running as well as being included in Dance Europe’s Outstanding Male Dancer 2013 list. 

As a choreographer he has created works for Ballet Black, English National Ballet’s Emerging dancer, ‘The Four Seasons’ for the Joffrey Ballet Studio Company, Nutcracker at the British Museum, ‘Eve’ at Sadler’s Wells and ‘Lady Macbeth’ at the New National Theatre in Tokyo. His London West-End credits include choreography for McQueen The Play at the Theatre Royal Haymarket and Tell Me on a Sunday at the St. James.

As a Director Chris has had the pleasure of programming diverse tours across the UK & US commissioning new work as wells as presenting repertoire by choreographers George Balanchine, Jasmin Vardimon, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, Kenneth MacMillan, Liam Scarlett, Frederick Ashton and Matthew Bourne, amongst others. 

He was named associate artist of the UK Foundation for Dance, holds a Masters degree in Choreography and was associate Choreographer for Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty. Chris is patron of the Chelmsford Ballet Company and a guest teacher for ballet companies worldwide. 

Sadler’s Wells    
Sadler's Wells is a world-leading dance organisation. We strive to make and share dance that inspires us all. Our acclaimed year-round programme spans dance of every kind, from contemporary to flamenco, Bollywood to ballet, salsa to street dance and tango to tap.   

We commission, produce and present more dance than any other organisation in the world. Since 2005, we have helped to bring more than 200 new dance works to the stage, embracing both the popular and the unknown. Our acclaimed productions tour the world. Since 2005 we’ve produced 64 new full-length works and performed to audiences of more than two million, touring to 51 countries.   

Each year, over half a million people visit our three London theatres - Sadler’s Wells Theatre, Lilian Baylis Studio and Peacock Theatre. Millions more attend our touring productions nationally and internationally or explore our digital platforms, including Sadler’s Wells Digital Stage.  

Sadler’s Wells East  

In 2024 we’re opening a fourth London venue in Stratford’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

Sadler’s Wells East will house a 550-seat mid-scale theatre, as well as facilities for the new Rose Choreographic School and the hip hop theatre training centre, Academy Breakin’ Convention.

Sadler’s Wells East joins the rich cultural heritage of Stratford, opening in London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park as part of the East Bank development alongside the BBC, UAL’s London College of Fashion, UCL and the V&A. Sadler’s Wells East will support artist development and training, and the creation of new work. It will build the infrastructure for dance and make it accessible to more people. Sadler’s Wells East will house a flexible theatre presenting a wide variety of dance performances.

Community will be at the heart of Sadler’s Wells East with a large open foyer that can be used by everyone as a meeting or performance space. There will also be dance studios and world-class dance facilities for dancemakers to train, create and rehearse productions. 

Supporting artists 

Supporting artists is at the heart of our work. We have associate artists and companies, which nurture some of the most exciting talent working in dance today.

We host the National Youth Dance Company, which draws together some of the brightest young dancers from across the country. Sadler’s Wells Breakin' Convention runs professional development programmes to champion and develop the world’s best hip hop artists, as well as producing, programming and touring groundbreaking hip hop performances.   

Learning and community links 

Around 30,000 people take part in our learning and engagement programmes every year. We support schools local to our theatres in Islington and Stratford, designing experiences for children and young people to watch, explore and critically engage with the arts. We also run Company of Elders, a resident performance company of dancers aged over 60 who rehearse with renowned artists to make new work for public performances locally, nationally and internationally.   

Sadler’s Wells is an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation. 

www.sadlerswells.com   

Stay up to date with everything Sadler’s Wells on social media    

Facebook: @SadlersWells   
Twitter: @Sadlers_Wells   
Instagram: @sadlers_wells   
YouTube: Sadler’s Wells Theatre

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

In an email this morning they mention also going to Cheltenham 

But they don't announce that Ms Cojocaru will be there with them.  The email only mentions her in connection with Wells.  

I think the Cheltenham tickets are already on sale.  I got an email about the dates a couple of weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, LinMM said:

They only say she is performing at Sadlers Wells. 
So far I’ve only heard they are at Theatre Royal Bath, Sadlers Wells and now the Everyman in Cheltenham 

Cheltenham was announced (without fanfare) a couple of weeks ago.

22 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Okay had no idea can only go by emails they send…..or did you announce on Forum and I missed it 🤔

I got an email about it from LCB.  There wasn't a press release or I would have published it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’m just trying to explain why I only heard this morning (via email) but others like yourself seemed to have heard about it before now! 

If your email related to Sadler's Wells I only got mine today.  I got something about Cheltenham a couple of weeks ago.

In the initial announcement about the resurgence of the company it mentioned that Sir Alastair Spalding is thrilled to welcome London City Ballet back to Sadler's Wells.

My email this morning was from London City Ballet.

I can’t remember when signed up for emails but a couple of months ago so probably in November…my welcome letter was on 24th November but only today had any further news from them 

Now the programme has been announced, is anyone able to let me know if Ballade, Larina Waltz & Eve are classical in style on contemporary? I know the new work by Arielle Smith could be anything so I'd have to take a chance on that but I'd like to know the style of the existing works if possible in order to decide whether or not to attend.

Re Ballade, I don't remember it although I may have seen it. But if it was created for the Royal Ballet New Group it is probably one of his more contemporary style works as that group was more contemporary-influenced than its predecessors, Sadler's Wells Theatre Ballet and Royal Ballet Touring Group or later versions of the company, Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet. Interesting that, according to the article Fiona helpfully linked, Samara Downs is the choreologist who has helped Deborah MacMillan restore the piece.

What a pity the BRB, under Acosta, has no interest in reviving previous ballets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/01/2024 at 13:44, Jan McNulty said:

I doubt it if they are doing lots more dates.

I'm hoping against hope that they are doing "up north" dates.

Me too.  I am really keeping fingers crossed for something in the North of England.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Now the programme has been announced, is anyone able to let me know if Ballade, Larina Waltz & Eve are classical in style on contemporary? I know the new work by Arielle Smith could be anything so I'd have to take a chance on that but I'd like to know the style of the existing works if possible in order to decide whether or not to attend.

Ballade and Larina Waltz are classical. Eve from the photos and Matthew Paluch's review of the piece sounds like it's classical in a Manon/Mayerling sort of way. Wishing the company all the best and looking forward to their visit to SWT!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I emailed London City Ballet to ask if Alina was guesting at Cheltenham and also if there were any plans for the Company to visit Blackpool Grand Theatre as I have fond memories of seeing them there, possibly in the 90s. I said their programme was a lot more interesting than the RB Dance Bites! I had a lovely reply back from the Artistic Director, Christopher Marney who confirmed Alina will only be dancing at Sadlers Wells and they hope to include Blackpool as part of the 2025 season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 18/01/2024 at 13:41, FionaM said:

Super news and programme sounds interesting.

It would be good to know if Alina participates in all the dates as well as the tour … Bath in July, Cheltenham in August 2024. 

well what a delightful surprise,lovely though the Cheltenham Everman theatre is ( a Matcham gem). It is not ideal for dance. Nonetheless I have booked two tickets in the circle Hooray

1 hour ago, DoctorDerry said:

well what a delightful surprise,lovely though the Cheltenham Everman theatre is ( a Matcham gem). It is not ideal for dance. Nonetheless I have booked two tickets in the circle Hooray

We are told that Alina does not participate in shows outside London 

• 2 months later...

including Joseph Taylor from Northern Ballet.  I wonder if this will be during the summer break for Northern as dates for the LCB tour are:

Bath Theatre Royal (July 17-20)

Cambridge Arts Theatre (July 23-25)

Latitude Festival (July 27)

Cheltenham Everyman (August 2-3)

Windsor Theatre Royal (August 9-10)

Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou and five further cities in China to be announced (August 16 - September 1)

York Theatre Royal (Sept 6-7)

Sadlers Wells London (Sept 11-14)

• Thanks 1

And the full press release:

8c7ffpouwnuojmkigxtt47lhifw6

PRESS RELEASE – Tuesday 9 April 2024

Youtube: londoncityballet / Instagram: thelondoncityballet / www.londoncityballet.com

LONDON CITY BALLET ANNOUNCES FULL TOUR AND COMPANY

• LONDON CITY BALLET ANNOUNCES ITS INAUGURAL SEASON WILL COMPRISE A NEW COMPANY OF 14 INTERNATIONALLY RENOWNED DANCERS, REPRESENTING 9 NATIONALITIES AND BRINGING EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE FROM PRINCIPAL ARTISTS AS WELL AS RISING STARS FROM THE UK DANCE SCENE

• THE 18-VENUE INTERNATIONAL TOUR WILL BEGIN IN BATH THIS JULY AND INCLUDE CAMBRIDGE, CHELTENHAM, WINDSOR, YORK AND SADLERS WELLS LONDON, AS WELL AS INTERNATIONAL DATES IN THE USA, DOHA QATAR, AND PORTUGAL, PLUS SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU AND 5 FURTHER CITIES IN CHINA

• IN MAY, LONDON CITY BALLET WILL MOVE INTO A NEW STATE OF THE ART STUDIO AND OFFICE BASE IN ISLINGTON

DXIMKQHAFFIN1TH6otXxptpVChRqsVfzms_83MbA4q1fXLzxJy8Fwq2mPcg6TgZIzIz7zOq0gyz5kpTvl1CIyU60BzyRdw0RQAayG30LNjUK8k6eobwz3kPoGgANDPRQYND6-QTwvZNwbZV_faOPyrI

London City Ballet has today announced its new company and details of its first season after a hiatus of almost 30 years.

The dancers in the new company are: Alejandro Virelles (Freelance, formerly Staatsballet Berlin, ENB), Álvaro Madrigal Arenilla (Compañía Nacional de Danza), Isadora Bless (Orlando Ballet), Joseph Taylor (Northern Ballet), Miranda Silveira(Freelance, formerly San Francisco Ballet), Ayça Anıl (Istanbul State Opera and Ballet), Cira Robinson (Freelance, formerly Ballet Black), Nicholas Vavrečka (Freelance, formerly Scottish Ballet), Ellie Young (Freelance, Royal Ballet School), Arthur Wille (formerly Ballet Dortmund Junior Company), Bárbara Verdasco (Compañía Nacional de Danza), Jimin Kim (Korea National University of Arts), and Nicholas Mihlar (Zurich Tanz Academy). In London at Sadler’s Wells, internationally celebrated ballerina Alina Cojocaru will join the company as a Guest Artist. Headshots and biographies of all the dancers are available here.

New appointments to the creative and wellbeing team include Iain Mackay as a Rehearsal Director, Luke Abnett as Physiotherapist, Matthew Gregory as Company Pianist, and Andy Murrell as Lighting Designer. They will join Christopher Marney as Artistic Director, Sean Flanagan as General Manager, and Kate Lyons as Rehearsal Director.

Christopher Marney said: “After an extensive search I am honoured to welcome the 14 uniquely talented artists joining London City Ballet, for its inaugural season. It felt essential to involve dancers at varying stages of career and experience, due to the narrative demands of the work we will present. My hope is their valued input will influence the ballets we are able to uncover.

“The tour comprises familiar, much loved venues in the UK that played an important role in the former company's history, but also encompasses new and extensive touring in America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

“It is a privilege to begin collaborating with these artists and starting a new chapter in the company's history.”

The 18-venue international tour will begin at Bath Theatre Royal (July 17-20), followed by Cambridge Arts Theatre (July 23-25), Latitude Festival (July 27), Cheltenham Everyman (August 2-3), Windsor Theatre Royal (August 9-10), Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou and five further cities in China to be announced, York Theatre Royal (Sept 6-7), Sadlers Wells London (Sept 11-14) with USA dates in late September and Doha, Qatar. On July 6-7 dancers from London City Ballet will feature at the International Ballet Gala at the Palácio de Seteais, Portugal.

London City Ballet will present Resurgence, a programme of acclaimed works including the revival of Kenneth MacMillan’s 1972 one-act ballet Ballade, unseen in Europe for over 50 years.

Ashley Page’s Larina Waltz marks the ballet’s 30th anniversary, and Olivier award-winner Arielle Smith premieres a new work. Eve, a full company work by Christopher Marney, which premiered at Sadler’s Wells in 2022, will close the evening. At tour venues in Portugal and China the pas de deux from Kenneth MacMillan's Concerto will also be performed.

Tickets for the tour are available here.

NOTES TO EDITORS

Trailer here

Dates:

PALÁCIO DE SETEAIS, PORTUGAL

6-7 July

BATH THEATRE ROYAL

17-20 July

CAMBRIDGE ARTS THEATRE

23-25 July

LATITUDE FESTIVAL, SUFFOLK

27 July

CHELTENHAM EVERYMAN

2-3 August

WINDSOR THEATRE ROYAL

9-10 August (Onsale date Friday 12 April)

CHINA

16 August-1 September

YORK THEATRE ROYAL

6-7 September

SADLERS WELLS 2024 PERFORMANCES:

11-14 September

Running time: 1 hour 40 minutes (including one 20 minute interval).

For more visit www.londoncityballet.com

For queries contact info@londoncityballet.com

London City Ballet
London City Ballet is a touring company of international dancers presenting engaging stories through dance to audiences across the world. Alongside creating newly commissioned work by upcoming, plus established, Choreographers and emphasis will also be on resurrecting older works that may no longer be in the mainstream repertoire. London City Ballet strives to present engaging and entertaining works whilst ensuring the history which came before them is not forgotten.  

The original iteration of the company closed in 1996 having formerly been the resident company of Sadler’s Wells, and internationally recognised as one of the world’s leading dance collectives, patronised by Diana, Princess of Wales. It was sensitively reformed in 2023 after a 30-year hiatus, under the Artistic Direction of Christopher Marney.

The inaugural 2024 tour will pay homage to the company’s early beginnings, shining a bright light on a new chapter.  

Christopher Marney 
Chris is a Choreographer, Teacher and former Artistic Director of the Joffrey Ballet Studio Company Chicago and Central School of Ballet in London

As a dancer Chris worked internationally for Balletboyz, Gothenburg Ballet Sweden, Ballet Biarritz France, Bern Ballet Switzerland and Matthew Bourne’s New Adventures where he has danced many principal roles around the world. 

During his time in these companies he performed in works by choreographers William Forsythe, Jiri Kylian, Nacho Duato and John Cranko to name a few. He danced with the Michael Clark Company in The Rite of Spring and Les Noces and his final performance in 2017 was with Ivan Putrov’s Men in Motion where he danced the Faun in Nijinsky’s L’Apres Midi d’un Faun. 

The Critics Circle National Dance Awards nominated him for Outstanding Performance in Modern Dance two years running as well as being included in Dance Europe’s Outstanding Male Dancer 2013 list. 

As a choreographer he has created works for Ballet Black, English National Ballet’s Emerging dancer, ‘The Four Seasons’ for the Joffrey Ballet Studio Company, Nutcracker at the British Museum, ‘Eve’ at Sadler’s Wells and ‘Lady Macbeth’ at the New National Theatre in Tokyo. 

His London West-End credits include choreography for McQueen The Play at the Theatre Royal Haymarket and Tell Me on a Sunday at the St. James.

As a Director Chris has had the pleasure of programming diverse tours across the UK & US commissioning new work as wells as presenting repertoire by choreographers George Balanchine, Jasmin Vardimon, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, Kenneth MacMillan, Liam Scarlett, Frederick Ashton and Matthew Bourne, amongst others. 

He was named associate artist of the UK Foundation for Dance, holds a Masters degree in Choreography and was associate Choreographer for Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty. Chris is patron of the Chelmsford Ballet Company and a guest teacher for ballet companies worldwide. 

Sadler’s Wells     
Sadler's Wells is a world-leading dance organisation. We strive to make and share dance that inspires us all. Our acclaimed year-round programme spans dance of every kind, from contemporary to flamenco, Bollywood to ballet, salsa to street dance and tango to tap.   

We commission, produce and present more dance than any other organisation in the world. Since 2005, we have helped to bring more than 200 new dance works to the stage, embracing both the popular and the unknown. Our acclaimed productions tour the world. Since 2005 we’ve produced 64 new full-length works and performed to audiences of more than two million, touring to 51 countries.   

Each year, over half a million people visit our three London theatres - Sadler’s Wells Theatre, Lilian Baylis Studio and Peacock Theatre. Millions more attend our touring productions nationally and internationally or explore our digital platforms, including Sadler’s Wells Digital Stage.  

Sadler’s Wells East  

In 2024 we’re opening a fourth London venue in Stratford’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

Sadler’s Wells East will house a 550-seat mid-scale theatre, as well as facilities for the new Rose Choreographic School and the hip hop theatre training centre, Academy Breakin’ Convention.

Sadler’s Wells East joins the rich cultural heritage of Stratford, opening in London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park as part of the East Bank development alongside the BBC, UAL’s London College of Fashion, UCL and the V&A. Sadler’s Wells East will support artist development and training, and the creation of new work. It will build the infrastructure for dance and make it accessible to more people. Sadler’s Wells East will house a flexible theatre presenting a wide variety of dance performances.

Community will be at the heart of Sadler’s Wells East with a large open foyer that can be used by everyone as a meeting or performance space. There will also be dance studios and world-class dance facilities for dancemakers to train, create and rehearse productions. 

Supporting artists 

Supporting artists is at the heart of our work. We have associate artists and companies, which nurture some of the most exciting talent working in dance today.

We host the National Youth Dance Company, which draws together some of the brightest young dancers from across the country. Sadler’s Wells Breakin' Convention runs professional development programmes to champion and develop the world’s best hip hop artists, as well as producing, programming and touring groundbreaking hip hop performances.   

Learning and community links 

Around 30,000 people take part in our learning and engagement programmes every year. We support schools local to our theatres in Islington and Stratford, designing experiences for children and young people to watch, explore and critically engage with the arts. We also run Company of Elders, a resident performance company of dancers aged over 60 who rehearse with renowned artists to make new work for public performances locally, nationally and internationally.   

Sadler’s Wells is an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation. 

www.sadlerswells.com   

Stay up to date with everything Sadler’s Wells on social media    

Facebook: @SadlersWells    
Twitter: @Sadlers_Wells    
Instagram: @sadlers_wells    
YouTube: Sadler’s Wells Theatre   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Cira Robinson, Alejandro Virelles, Joseph Taylor and Alina Cojocaru all in the same company (albeit Alina as a guest in London only)?!! I'm blinking because it doesn't feel real- feels like Vail Festival or some gala! 

Ooh. 

I have already booked tickets but might go book an extra performance......