New McGregor Piece for Vogue World (Bracewell/Kaneko)

It says this has been choreographed especially for Vogue but isn’t this from his latest work for Royal Ballet? I didn’t go to see those performances but the costumes look the same. 
Or has he based this pas de deux for the Vogue event on the new work so it’s actually slightly different so not just an extract from it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I chanced upon this. As far as I can tell, the whole pdd is in the video which comes up: https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/wayne-mcgregor-vogue-world-london

It may be a vibrant, visceral, unmissable piece, however, the frequent cutaways to audience members who are ‘somebody’ made this unwatchable for me. I gave up after the third such interruption. 

• Like 3

Yes that is they’re odd from ‘Untitled’ … same costumes, same music, same moves that I can remember. 

and agree on cutaways.  These filmmakers don’t understand that you lose the arc of the piece by not following the dancers entirely.  They wouldn’t cut off the sound for an actor or singer.  Why why why don’t they understand this !!!

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Yes that is they’re odd from ‘Untitled’ … same costumes, same music, same moves that I can remember. 

and agree on cutaways.  These filmmakers don’t understand that you lose the arc of the piece by not following the dancers entirely.  They wouldn’t cut off the sound for an actor or singer.  Why why why don’t they understand this !!!

apologies for typos I didn’t notice.   “This is their pdd”

I just recognised one or two people in the audience, the Great and the Good of the fashionista set, but I am not interested in them.  I am interested in watching those two beautiful dancers.  Like Peter, I didn't make it through even half of it.  

• Like 1

The article appears to suggest this is new which is confusing.

Wayne McGregor – who currently serves as Resident Choreographer of London’s Royal Ballet – debuted his brand-new performance Herrera Codes, which featured technological interventions by artist Ben Cullen Williams.

Burberry designed the eye-catching green-and-white costumes for McGregor’s typically stylish performance, which was danced by Royal Ballet principals William Bracewell and Fumi Kaneko and follows his collaboration with Daniel Lee at the Royal Opera House for “Untitled, 2023” earlier this year. Watch the full video of the one-time performance at London’s Theatre Royal Drury Lane

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Same costumes, very similar choreography (maybe even lifted straight from 'Untitled') - but definitely not the same music.

As for the annoying cutaways, I suppose as Vogue a fashion mag, they felt it fair to show the fashionistas at their 'do'. Though hard to describe Brian Cox as a fashionista (the actor in this case - though I doubt the physicist is either!). Apart from him, I think I recognised 2 other 'famous' people....

• Like 1

Intrigued to see from the article that this pas de deux was given the title Herrera Codes, which sounds like a mashup of the designer’s name and part of another of McGregor’s ballets, Tree of Codes. Can’t help thinking that Herrera Codes would have been better for the full ballet at ROH and Untitled, 2023 would have been better for this snippet for Vogue.

Not just because RB regulars would have been more attentive and appreciative of the link to his earlier work and the artist, or that Untitled 2023 is more suited to the temporary nature of the Vogue event, but Herrera Codes would be less confusing when the ballet is revived or restaged for other companies in subsequent years than Untitled, 2023. Unless he is not planning to revive it at ROH or mount it for other companies at all? 

• Like 1

I could watch Fumi and Will all day - they were amazing, as always! They are the real stars, IMO. The cutaways to the audience (no idea who they were and I really don't care and some of them looked like they were totally bored - enough said!) were irritating beyond belief. I'm not going to say any more because I don't think it would be appreciated on a public forum. :) 

Edited by Linnzi5
Typo
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I had a feeling @Linnzi5 would disapprove of the filming not being focused on Kaneko and Bracewell throughout and I totally agree! It’s so insulting to both performers and viewers. 

A couple Christmas ago, someone from Cartier posted on IG they had a couple of "ballet dancers" at their holiday do. Kaneko and Muntagirov. 

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

A couple Christmas ago, someone from Cartier posted on IG they had a couple of "ballet dancers" at their holiday do. Kaneko and Muntagirov. 

I suspect they know exactly what they are doing. Making money while they can!

5 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I suspect they know exactly what they are doing. Making money while they can!

That was not meant at all to be a critism of the dancers (more power to 'em) but of the poster who couldn't be bothered to find out their names.  That's a bug bear of mine 

Edited by oncnp

Oh I agree...  a short career so make as much as you can while you can! I hope they are paid megabucks.

Sadly I suspect the super rich hire 'entertainers' by the yard, with an events organiser told to get the best and no, I suspect many don't have a clue.

12 minutes ago, LinMM said:

From the link above I see William all in white but no sign of Fumi in black just the video of them dancing! 

There are four pictures if you swipe.