Falling at the first hurdle!

Friends

Encouraged - make sure when you contact student accomodation places that you let them know your daughter's age. Many will only accept over 18s which makes it even more difficult. I know there are current third years in Therese House (touchstone housing) which was new a couple of years ago and only a 5-10min walk from school but they will only take over 18s.

• Like 1

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Spooky, that was the purpose of my original emails.

She's just been offered a place at Hyelm which will probably be the most suitable to start with. It has a great number of 16-17 year olds living there along with a lot of support. I realise it is a bit of a hike in the mornings but we can do some practise runs with the tubes and buses beforehand and I was particularly  keen for food to be available otherwise she will just eat rubbish!

• Like 3

When I was trying to find accommodation last year for DS at Central I rang lots of 'Student accommodation' companies/places.

I only found two in the area who would accept under 18's. 

Unite - East Central (Lever St) but unfortunately this year it is unavailable to rent as a University has taken over the whole building. I originally rang the 0800 number for Unite and then was given the actual direct phone number for East Central and had to phone them up to ask about acceptance for under 18's. We then went and had a look round. We were abe to choose his room as they knew which rooms were available and had a plan of the building. DS wanted to be up as high as possible away from the road & noise and definately didn't want a ground floor room or a north facing one (no sunshine).

If I had to I would have asked for the numbers of other Unite accommodation to be able to ring them up as well. Everyone I spoke to was very helpful.

Urbanest - Tower Bridge but as Tower Bridge was still being built we went to look round Urbanest Hoxton and were given the tour by the Manager who said that as his discretion as he had met DS he would allow/offer him a room there.

DS chose Unite as slightly closer to Central. He's over 18 now so no problem with age next year. He just needs to find a flat with 2 others and I'm leaving him to it!

Good luck Sassy girl & others.

Hi lottie my daughter is also trying to sort a flat out for next year but everyone seems to be so laid back that they haven't even started yet. As a precaution we have booked her back in at ISH and also Hyelm. The problem for her is she is not 17 until the summer. I know a few people are movkng over to ish this year as it is closer to central, it's nicer than Hyelm and wi fi is a better connection.

• Like 1

If looking for flats it is a good idea to try and talk to the current third years as many flats are passed down as they leave. The only problem is often the third years don't know what they will be doing when they finish yet and therefore tend to be reluctant to give up a place in case they still need to be in London so places often become available quite late in the term. Good Luck all! I am so glad we are finished with this worry now. It is one of the biggest drawbacks with Central.

• Like 1

Hi Tulip & Spooky

Tell me about it - what is it with them being sooooo laid back aboout organising things like them aproaching Estate agents etc. That's why I'm not getting involved apart from paying the rent!

DS says that the third years don't know what they're doing and want to stay in London so no joy there yet.

Plan A - DS to get a flat with others.

Plan B - go back into 'student accommodation' somewhere.

Plan C - If in September still nowhere then call upon family and friends who live on the farside of West London to put him up for a short while and he'd have to commute.

Plan D - commute from home! Ha Ha.

Hi lottie what year is your son in? My daughters plan is wait for the others to decide if they want to flat share or stay at ish where she has a room guaranteed for next year, she has also preliminary booked a double room at Hyelm, kids eh.

I know this comment refers to slightly older kids but I happened to sit next to someone who worked at RBS at the student performance in 2011. I was saying how difficult it must be for obviously really talented dancers who had been through whole Royal experience and then were not offered places in the company. But this person(sorry whose name escapes me) said it was quite common for ex RBS students to go and work abroad for a couple of years and then tobe offered a place in the Company at a later date. So it seems if you keep at it all you young ballet students dreams can still be achieved but maybe when not expecting it!!

In London the rental market for student flats doesn't really work the same as elsewhere.  When dd was looking last year all the agents said wait until  the end of the summer holidays, although it was also complicated by the Olympics.  A lot of landlords were hoping for a big profit on a short lease while they were on.  So she and her friends didn't look until late August/early September and after being badly let down by one landlord, found a fabulous house.  Had a similar story from another ex-pupil who was starting a BA dance course in London.  Many 3rd years want to keep the same flats on, so there is not the clear cut handover like at ordinary University courses.

I know this comment refers to slightly older kids but I happened to sit next to someone who worked at RBS at the student performance in 2011. I was saying how difficult it must be for obviously really talented dancers who had been through whole Royal experience and then were not offered places in the company. But this person(sorry whose name escapes me) said it was quite common for ex RBS students to go and work abroad for a couple of years and then tobe offered a place in the Company at a later date. So it seems if you keep at it all you young ballet students dreams can still be achieved but maybe when not expecting it!!

LinMM - not often sadly (but also must add that we were all very happy at Elmhurst when one of the students got into RB after going to a company in Europe for a couple of years - so it can happen of course)

And to those of you discussing accommodation - might be a good idea to start a new thread as it'll get lost in here and others might find it useful (and you might pick up some useful info from other people too)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Its so they get some stage experience.

Ballet West run a performance course along side their BA Hons so when students leave they have toured not only in the UK but abroad as well from 1st year to 3rd year. All their students get jobs.

• Like 1