Glenda Jackson has died.

Ondine

One of my favourite quotes ever is from Ms Jackson....talking to an interviewer about her acting technique, she said:  "If I have to cry, I think about my sex life.  If I have to laugh, I think about my sex life!"   

RIP Glenda Jackson.

• Like 7

There is a YouTube video of Glenda Jackson as Cleopatra with Morecambe and Wise. Absolutely brilliant from all concerned. https://youtu.be/AtHNrRk3lQM

I watched Mary Queen of Scots in parts yesterday, and today I'm able to spend a couple of hours on Elizabeth R. I can live without Women in Love, I find DH Lawrence turgid to the point of [my] immobility.

Way back in 1986 I used to be a Friend of the Lyric Theatre in Hammersmith and that year got to appear as an extra in the funeral scene in The House of Bernarda Alba with Glenda Jackson Joan Plowright and Amanda Root. 
I remember her often in the bar having a smoke and she was surprisingly approachable. She spoke to everyone even us lowly extras completely as equals and was so down to Earth no airs and graces at all inspite of her star status at the time. 
She went up hugely in my estimation after that and was not surprised that later on she became a Labour MP in Hampstead. A fascinating multi talented person. 
I’m very sorry to hear she has died. 

• Like 10

Apropos of your first paragraph, LinMM, and as I’m sure you already know, Harriet Walter is doing The House of Bernarda Alba at the National from November- January.

Coming back to Glenda Jackson, it’s always so lovely to hear of a star who hasn’t let fame turn their head. A true star, in every sense of the word. 

• Like 3

Thanks Scheherazade….. no I had no idea The House of Bernarda Alba was on at the National later this year!! 
Maybe it’s time for a re-visit to this play though it has high tension and drama throughout so not easy viewing!! 

As extras at the Lyric they sorted us into two groups …those to play extra Ladies and Gents and those to play the peasants right at the back…. needless to say what my chubby round face was chosen for lol!!! 

• Like 2