Help from Tap dancers please

Mamaderuby

Hi. My daughter would like to turn her 3 inch So Dance character shoes into tap dancing shoes. I have found lots of tap toes and heels in different sizes online for flat tap dance shoes but the only ones for heels I can find are the LaDuca ones. Does anyone know if these would fit ok, if they are a "standard" size. , or where I can find So Danca tap toes and heels? As you can probably tell...I know nothing about tap shoes or tap dancing. Please help.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mamaderuby said:

Hi. My daughter would like to turn her 3 inch So Dance character shoes into tap dancing shoes. I have found lots of tap toes and heels in different sizes online for flat tap dance shoes but the only ones for heels I can find are the LaDuca ones. Does anyone know if these would fit ok, if they are a "standard" size. , or where I can find So Danca tap toes and heels? As you can probably tell...I know nothing about tap shoes or tap dancing. Please help.

Hi. Happy to contribute. 

Most taps bought are a standardised fit for ladies & then men’s shoes. My DD & I are familiar with La Duca heeled tap shoes and the Bloch flats- Jason Samuels.  

I apologise if I’m now going to say something that your DD might already know but just wanted to make sure that you are aware that not all character shoes (New Yorkers) are suitable for taps to be fitted as it would depend on the shoe having a ‘hard sole’ ie no flex and a sole thick enough to take the screws without sticking through the inner sole. 

Whilst there is the possibility of dancing in a 3” heel tap shoes it is rare, the standard height for ‘heeled taps’ are 2” which you have probably seen on the La Duca website so their taps are designed for a 2” heel base. With the difference in height you may have to look very closely as the measurement of the base of your DD’s 3” heel as they could be smaller than a La Duca 2” if that makes sense 😊

Ps My wallet having taken the hit where tap shoes are concerned I can certainly understand the reasoning behind reutilising shoes already in the cupboard. Good luck.  😉

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

Haha! Thanks.. exactly this. She has replaced her So Danca hard sole character shoes with La Duca soft soles(in both Black and skin tone) and wears Jason Samuel Smith's, so yes, I am trying to save my pennies wherever I can. Although I don't really want to cut corners if I end up having to replace them in just a few months anyway. Does your DD find a huge difference between the LaDuca heeled tap shoes and a less expensive So Danca or Capezios? My DD says that wearing her La Duca soft soles are like wearing slippers after her So Danca hard soles, but I am not that excited about forking out for LaDuca tap shoes, when she is not really a tapper. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mamaderuby said:

Haha! Thanks.. exactly this. She has replaced her So Danca hard sole character shoes with La Duca soft soles(in both Black and skin tone) and wears Jason Samuel Smith's, so yes, I am trying to save my pennies wherever I can. Although I don't really want to cut corners if I end up having to replace them in just a few months anyway. Does your DD find a huge difference between the LaDuca heeled tap shoes and a less expensive So Danca or Capezios? My DD says that wearing her La Duca soft soles are like wearing slippers after her So Danca hard soles, but I am not that excited about forking out for LaDuca tap shoes, when she is not really a tapper. 

Hi.  Sorry, I tried to re-edit my original post but failed miserably. Having had a brain storm I ventured into the depths of my DD’s shoe cupboard and found her 3” heels which just happen to be So Danca and her LA D’s 2” taps. They are vastly different heel base sizes. Tried to upload an image of the shoes side by side but that’s where I failed. 
My DD loves her La D’s. Didn’t take long to acquire several pairs like your DD has and switch from her first capezio heeled taps to La D and never looked back. As they are designed & made for that professional level and put through a pretty hefty work outs every-time they hit the dance floor they never look tired or worn and therefore per wear they are worth the investment. Well that’s what I keep telling myself. 😁

However, it is well worth keeping hold of her old So Danca shoes as they are rubber soled. Well worth having as the girls never know if they are rehearsing or even performing on rough ground for an out door event or similar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

I’d never heard of La Duca…. Is this a ‘new’ dance brand & where are they stocked? Tbh… mostly only had to buy ballet to date but aware dancers need to be ready to triple threat these days!! 

They have been around for 20 years or so.  DD was talking about them today liking the excitement of getting your first La Duca’s to your first pointe shoes or getting Jason Samuel Smiths.  

5 hours ago, Mamaderuby said:

Is there much variation in size between the LaDuca models? DD wears Elizabeth in 7 medium. Not sure if it would be safe to order online Roxie in the same size, or get her to take (another) trip to London. 

Yes they do seem to vary depending on the style.  You can check on the web site for how they differ and they will help if you call them.  They don’t refund but do exchange.  

• Like 3

Quite agree ... it seems to be a 'rite of passage' for the serious triple threats ... first pointe shoes, then Jason Samuel's, then La Ducas ! 

It comes to something when Pointe Shoes are the cheapest shoes you buy! Although, you shouldn't have to replace the others as frequently! DD has had to wait till her feet stopped growing to get hers! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

Quite agree ... it seems to be a 'rite of passage' for the serious triple threats ... first pointe shoes, then Jason Samuel's, then La Ducas ! 

It comes to something when Pointe Shoes are the cheapest shoes you buy! Although, you shouldn't have to replace the others as frequently! DD has had to wait till her feet stopped growing to get hers! 

Absolutely. A good thing to know is if you order a pair of Jason Samuels on line not in-store and it’s your first order with Bloch they offer 10% discount.. 

Not so much for a pair of La Duca’s but they do make great 18th, 21st then Graduation presents.  Once hooked they never look back. 😏

• Like 2

LaDuca's are the elite of New Yorkers and tap shoes.  Very expensive so generally only those in professional training or working wear them.  They are also known for their boots.  They supply the Rockettes and also shows such as Kinky Boots, Moulin Rouge, Wicked etc etc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jewel said:

LaDuca's are the elite of New Yorkers and tap shoes.  Very expensive so generally only those in professional training or working wear them.  They are also known for their boots.  They supply the Rockettes and also shows such as Kinky Boots, Moulin Rouge, Wicked etc etc

What’s interesting is that to have your own bespoke pair of La Duca’s in your own colour/design choices, whilst still up there on the scale of costs is not as much as I thought, or that I’ve just become immune to the cost of everything related to the world of dance🌏🤩😂

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Fiz said:

I had a look at the LaDuca. Oh, they are so pretty! I’m not showing them to my younger dd though. I am not buying them for amateur shows!

Absolutely, I held out and bought my DD her first pair as an 18th birthday present. The rest is history 😏

5 hours ago, Jewel said:

They are apparently, incredibly comfortable and supportive which is why professionals like them.

Incredibly comfortable with soft leather, flexible soles and rounded toes ensures no toes are pinched. The unique heel also allows even the most acrobatic of dancers support. 😊

• Like 3

Hi there

We have just had our trip to London for La Ducas.

We went with the mind set of getting all that she might need / want! As they do vary in fit...widths etc. DD ended up getting blk / nude character ( Alexis)  & nude taps. She has a broad foot so the Alexis were recommended by the fitter as these tend to be a wider model. Before we went she wasn't overly keen on the boots, but has been fitted so we will know her size if it becomes a need to have them.

DD was amazed by how they felt & fitted, she too had heard how great they were from other students & she agrees they feel so different & comfortable. She will be going into her 3rd year & at almost 19 we thought it was time the right time for her to have them. 

Mj

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mjdb said:

Hi there

We have just had our trip to London for La Ducas.

We went with the mind set of getting all that she might need / want! As they do vary in fit...widths etc. DD ended up getting blk / nude character ( Alexis)  & nude taps. She has a broad foot so the Alexis were recommended by the fitter as these tend to be a wider model. Before we went she wasn't overly keen on the boots, but has been fitted so we will know her size if it becomes a need to have them.

DD was amazed by how they felt & fitted, she too had heard how great they were from other students & she agrees they feel so different & comfortable. She will be going into her 3rd year & at almost 19 we thought it was time the right time for her to have them. 

Mj

Congratulations on joining the La D club. 
If you bought the branded shoe bags may I suggest naming them on the outside and then changing the drawstring ties to various coloured ones, so it’s easy to see at a glance which colour/style shoe is in which bag. DD found that simple change a blessing. If you didn’t maybe worth making some out of strong cotton fabric. 
Also do keep at least one pair of old ‘New Yorkers’ if they have a rubber sole. Not all venues have descent flooring or outdoor work would lend to rubber rather than suede soles. 
Good Luck to your DD in her 3rd yr 💃🏼

• Thanks 1

Thx for that .

Good advice & something I hadn't thought of ! We only bought the 1 La Duca bag as she has a cpl of other small draw string bags but I will tell her to put them in the same one each time so she knows at a glance which is which ! 

Mj

• Like 1