RAD ballet G2 format of exam - learning disabilities

DailyDancer

Hello

I was happy to discover this forum. Would anyone be able to advise if the G2 ballet exam follows the same sequence of exercises as they are set out on the practice DVD and as they practice during lessons? I'm hoping that's the case and that the examiner doesn't request exercises in a different order.... as that would be a stumbling block to my daughter's learning disability (verbal commands are a real issue - even matching the labels left and right, or counting in her head will throw her). Thisbwill be her first dance exam. She has failed swim assessments before due to being given verbal left right commands and going the wrong way or being asked to perform a certain number of something and not being able to count them herself. I'm hoping ballet exams are more predictable. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DailyDancer said:

Hello

I was happy to discover this forum. Would anyone be able to advise if the G2 ballet exam follows the same sequence of exercises as they are set out on the practice DVD and as they practice during lessons? I'm hoping that's the case and that the examiner doesn't request exercises in a different order.... as that would be a stumbling block to my daughter's learning disability (verbal commands are a real issue - even matching the labels left and right, or counting in her head will throw her). Thisbwill be her first dance exam. She has failed swim assessments before due to being given verbal left right commands and going the wrong way or being asked to perform a certain number of something and not being able to count them herself. I'm hoping ballet exams are more predictable. 

Thanks in advance. 

Hello DailyDancer, and I reiterate Jan's welcome above.

I can't answer your question, but perhaps if you ask your daughter's teacher to find out for you, or even have a word with the examiner/s in advance, explaining your daughter's situation and that following the DVD order would greatly help her, I am sure that they would be empathetic and do all they can to accommodate your daughter's situation.  Good luck!  

• Like 1

Yes, the DVD is in the correct order. The examiner will not deviate from this. You can find the list of the exercises on the RAD specifications page. 

That said you should check with your daughter's teacher about the settings that are teacher's own arrangement such as Transfer of Weight. 

I assume that your daughter's teacher is aware of the issues? She can submit a reasonable adjustment form with the exam entry asking for examiner awareness. 

And please tell your daughter that it's the "how" not the "what" that is more important. A candidate dancing beautifully in the wrong direction will still be awarded better marks than a candidate going the correct way with no understanding of technique! 

• Like 2

@hfbrew hi there thank you so much for the reassuring response! The teacher does know about her disability and mentioned when she first enrolled that it would be 'put down' on her candidate record or something like that but that it doesn't result in any exam adjustments (I read up on the RAD special consideration information and that seems only to relate to temporary issues whereas her verbal processing problem is not a temporary issue). Is the reasonable adjustments form a different thing - I will ask the teacher about it to make sure it's not been overlooked.

@DailyDancer  - @hfbrew has summed it up well. The Grade 2 exercise order for the exam may be found on page 72 of the specifications (on the RAD website):

https://media.royalacademyofdance.org/media/2023/02/10165309/Specifications-2023-100223.pdf

As mentioned, it sounds as though the teacher should submit a reasonable adjustment form as it is different from special consideration. Information about this may be found on the RAD website too:

https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/exams/reasonable-adjustments/

Edited by LaCamargo
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about your daughters failed swimming assessment because of her issues with instructions. 
To me it would seem to be the same as ballet….it’s HOW she’s doing the tasks that’s important. It would be easy for an instructor/ examiner to do the counting bit during any assessment ….it’s not a maths test lol!! 
Even in a race situation you would just need someone to signal they were on the last length or hold a sign to say what length on etc for pacing …it’s how fast the person is swimming which would be important not whether they can count the lengths they’ve done!! 
I hope she is successful with her Grade 2 exam ….I can still remember some of the tunes from that exam all those years ago!!! 

• Thanks 1

Hello,

The exercises and dances will be performed as per the DVD order:

[Barre]

Plies

Tendus

Preparation for Grand Battements

[Center]

Ports de Bras

Fondus

Transfer of Weight

Adage

Sautés and saupresauts

Echappes and Petit Jetes

Gallops

Turns

Grand Allegro

[Dances]

Classical Dance: A or B (candidate's choice, sometimes the teacher chooses)

Character Dance: C or D (again, choice.)

Reverence

It never deviates from this order. Best of luck to your child!

• Thanks 2